Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Halloween 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rush-O-Matic, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd have to put Dee Snyder's Strangeland right up there with the "disturbing" type of horror films. Although it's been a long time since I last saw it, and the production values were low, I thought it was well done. Don't get me wrong, I know this flick lands solidly in the B movies or lower.

My favorite is still probably the original Dawn of the Dead.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Date night horror starts with "From Dusk Til Dawn". Anything else is a waste.

I've been on a big werewolf kick recently, and most of those movies are abjectly terrible: Ginger Snaps, Wolves (featuring Jason Momoa as a fucking werewolf: well-cast), Cursed (Cruel Intentions, but with werewolves and Jesse Eisenberg?), and American Werewolf in London (stands up well, believe it or not).

This has added to the list of things to torture my horror-averse, lucid dreaming girlfriend with, so thank you TIB!

3. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"From Dusk Til Dawn" is great, and when they cast Selma Heyak they knocked it out of the park. Just sayin'.

4. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I finally got a chance to watch What We Do In the Shadows a few days ago as part of my "Watch as my horror related stuff during October as possible" theme.

Absolutely hilarious. It was written, directed, and stars Taika Waititi who recently just directed Thor Ragnarok.

Essentially, a mockumentary style film featuring four vampires sharing an abandoned house in New Zealand. Jemaine Clement has a role as one of the four vampires and Rhys Darby has a small role as the leader of a group of Werewolves........not Swearwolves.

I would wholeheartedly recommend to any horror/comedy fan.

#24 bebop007, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s one of the funniest movies of the last ten years. Petyr was a particular favourite of mine, he was perfectly done.

The most fucked-up horror film of all time is House (1977). It’s not even a movie as much as a pure sensory overload experience. I don’t care who you are or what you like, the bottom line is that this movie will TRIP YOU THE FUCK OUT.

#25 Crown Royal, Oct 25, 2017
  6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

She looks like she's twerking with the floating head on her ass. I cannot imagine watching that on acid.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Acid isn’t required, the film will open doors in your head. It’s far from the most messed up scene.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

@dixiebandit69 can we get a ruling on the field?

9. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My favorite, The Devil's Rejects by Rob Zombie.

Great atmosphere, terrific acting (even Zombie's wife who most people hate I thought did a good job, but Sid Haig and Bill Moseley destroyed their roles), and maybe my favorite use of music in a movie of all time: Freebird during the final scene. Perfect.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not the scariest movie of all time, but this scene (wait for it 0:54) made me cringe (and still does) more than anything else I've ever seen at the theatre.

11. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always felt date night horror honor belonged to The English Patient

12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You bet, 'Nerds. Next time Jungle Julia and I drop (probably week after next), we'll watch it, so long as she's cool with it, AND I'll let y'all know what our verdict is after.

Anyway, back on topic: I've always had a soft spot for vampire films, especially the non-traditional type.

From Dusk 'til Dawn, Daybreakers, The Addiction, and Near Dark are some of my favorites, but Jungle Julia introduced me to one that I'd never seen: A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326554/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    It's an Iranian vampire story. Yes, I said Iranian. And yes, we watched it on acid, and it was fucking great.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My favorite is the The Shining, hands down. The crazy in that movie is both hilarious and endlessly entertaining. Great rewatch value too. Others I like:

- The Scream franchise. They should have stopped at the end of the trilogy. The story was perfectly wrapped up and sequels are just completely unnecessary. By the 4th one you also know exactly who is going to live and have a very limited number of characters who can be the killer(s). That said, I'll keep watching these as long as they make them.
    - Suspira

The dog death scene with the blind guy is my favorite death in all of movie history.

- Night of the Living Dead. Dawn of the Dead. Originals, remakes, they're all good.
    - 28 days later
    - Let the Right One In
    - Jaws. Borderline genre.
    - The Exorcist

The best so bad it's good horror movie -

Seriously. Watch it. It's fucking hysterical. They splice random scenes from the video games in with the action and everything. It's The Room level of bad.

As for Halloween itself, the only thing I care about at this age is the absurdly hot costumes the ladies come up with.

Also, Crown I want to see pictures when Halloween the ever loving shit out of your house.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, that was an amazing movie... and I found it hard to watch... it made me so uncomfortable.

You might like this little bit of news, then: Rob Zombie Announces The Devil's Rejects Sequel

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I hated that movie, but Zelda is amazing. Few scenes disturbed people more. Pet Semetary Two has Clancy Brown giving one of the most hilarious performances in history. Check it out. The movie is bad but Brown (as an undead town sheriff) is the biggest hoot ever in it.

#35 Crown Royal, Oct 25, 2017
  16. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I want to be excited for this but Zombie as director I find misses more than he hits.

House of 1000 Corpses - Really good, a lot of the same strengths as Devil's Rejects but it's a fucking mess
    His Halloween Remakes - First one was OK, passable I guess. The second was one was shit
    Lords of Salem and 31 - Meh

All his movies have great music, atmosphere, and acting, that he always gets right. His ability to write stories and direct are what sometimes fuck it all up. Devil's Rejects is really the only one he's knocked out of the park. Hopefully he can do again for a sequel.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Part of me thinks that was accomplished mostly by the casting.

18. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dragged my g/f to this and it really is a great horror movie. The director's follow up, The Bad Batch, was pretty meh. But, A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night is definitely worth a watch.

Argento may have codified the slasher genre, but Bava really crafted the blueprints for it. The more films I see of his, the more I really have come to respect him as a director. He could make some really great movies on a total shoestring budget.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Bava and Argento are absolute masters of cinimatic technique, decades ahead of their time. It’s a shame Argento’s later films suck so bad.

Italian horror films (Giallo) are so much harder and braver than others. They REALLY want to make your skin crawl. Only the French are harder.

#39 Crown Royal, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  20. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of Rob Zombie, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and watch" The Haunted World of El Superbeasto". You're welcome.