Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Haiti

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Jan 15, 2010.

1. AsTheWorldBurns

AsTheWorldBurns
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Ah yes, enlightening and articulate reply.

The best thing for you to do would be to stop pretending that you give a shit about this problem, and stop pretending that your condescending, shallow version of empathy is a remotely efficacious or even meaningful act. You do not posses a single skill or bit of knowledge that would useful to any Haitian right now. You do on the other hand, have a sense of entitlement to claiming yourself and your insignificant, passive acts as integral parts of a potential solution to longstanding problems. When you can figure out how to magically transform this sense of entitlement into repaired infrastructure, potable water, emergency medical care, and political reform, then let us know. Until then, shut the fuck up, fall back, and don't ever log on to this site with the expectation that your staged armchair philanthropy shouldn't be mocked for what it is.

2. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mommy gave someone a dictionary for Christmas.

3. AsTheWorldBurns

AsTheWorldBurns
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Yes and your mother obviously gave you a new stepfather.

4. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Thank you oh wise one for giving me a reason to ban you. It's too bad because from the verbage you used it seems as though you're somewhat intelligent. You go ahead and get on your big high horse and trot it right on over to the people in need to lend a hand, I'm sure they'll never forget you.

You don't get to tell mods to shut the fuck up. You're done here.

And for the record I never said I was doing anything, you assumed. See what happens?

5. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While I try to wrap my head around that soggy excuse for an insult...

A good article on the dos and donts of donation.

And another.

The common thread connecting all these articles? All of them expressly state that your idea of traveling to the disaster site is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea.

Fuckhead.

6. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

7. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

I hear James Bond likes his martinis like his Hatians, shaken not stirred.

On a more serious note, I do wish the best of luck to all the relief efforts going on there and hope for the best for the victims. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with much more than a very small hurricane.

8. ontherun

ontherun
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Does anyone know of any firms hiring fine american citizens like my self to work on the rebuilding effort? Working in finance is making me crazy I need something new.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Wow... this is pretty cool.

#49 Nettdata, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is interesting. As a healthcare worker I have been watching the Haiti coverage with a particular interest into the challenges of caring for all of the sick and injured with such limited resources. It is heartbreaking to watch and can't even begin to think of how frustrating it must be to want to help these people, yet have no means to do so. It is good to see that they are coming up with solutions such as this, which must be a heck of a lot more sterile than the makeshift hospitals that they have been using up until this point. I think the harbor is reopening soon, so hopefully they will have the option of some of those mobile hospitals on ships too. I think they ended up doing that for Katrina.

And a link for the fellow above you....with a quick recap if you don't feel like clicking and reading, unless you have prior disaster relief training, you have no business being there
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34958965/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34958965/ns ... arthquake/</a>