Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

If you ever can't get the link to work, you can always copy the image and paste it straight in.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, there's something whacky about the site's software... probably too old to handle the newer image sites and formats properly.

I'll see if I can't do something about that.

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you haven't already, yeah pull the firing pins out of that one so it isn't a potential grenade for anyone. Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on when it comes to shooting twist steel barrels (I've got books that claim they're fine and better than the early homogeneous steel barrels) I don't think anyone would be up for shooting a random old Belgian gun. Any rust pits in them can turn into disasters.

I work part time in a gun shop now and it has become glaringly obvious that the background check process itself should be what people are talking about when they bring up the phrase "common sense gun control." There's a lot more that I've learned but that sticks out in particular.

4. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think a few of us would be interested if you'd elaborate on the background check comment, either here or in the serious thread.

5. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Teaching the girlfriend to bang birds at the range, first time she had ever touched a firearm, the did great although she said her shoulder is a little sore this morning.
    dkgunning.jpg

6. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It relates to how the background check is submitted. The NICS check is looking for any FBI file that matches your name, birthdate, place of birth, etc., which explains why some people with military clearances get delayed. Some people get delayed but ultimately approved because it just so happens another person with the same name and close enough info has a felony record. If there's no file that matches up with your info, you can proceed to buy a gun. So... If you call it in via telephone they will carefully validate what you tell them, and it may be the safest route (though slowest, but if you manually fill out a 4473 form and the salesperson types it into a computer it can be easy to inadvertently enter the wrong info. Enough for me to be concerned. Plus a person could also make a mistake or intentional error while punching it into a computer themselves like Cabela's provides and the salespeople could be an idiot/lazy while double checking their driver's license and/or permits. Plus if a clerical error is made on the back end a person could be approved when they should have been denied. From what I understand, two church shooters (Dylan Root and Devin Kelley) should have been denied sales but they were approved for that reason. In the end maybe this kind of stuff could be happening no matter what, but I still think it would be very beneficial to look at how the system can be tightened up and I think it is overlooked by most. Yes you can prosecute the people who screw up and sell guns they shouldn't have but the problem is the gun was still transferred and that is priority numero uno.

In addition I do think we need to look really hard at doing NICS checks on every single firearms sale. I know it is impossible to enforce 100% of the time and it would put a lot more demand on the system, but at a minimum we need a way for people to do checks on private transfers/sales for free unless it already exists and I just don't know how. My employer charges $25 or something for in-store private transfers because the gun still needs to be put in our books- it would be nice to do it for free but it does take us time and that is money. It should be easier for people to do.

Other random observations: S&W M&P Shield 9 handguns sell like fire, because they are a good deal for a good gun and lots of people want something they can conceal but doesn't suck to shoot. I got one last year and really like it. Kimber Micro 9s and CZ 75s are hard to keep in stock. Glock's Gen5 reminds me of the iPhone though they don't make the Gen4s suck now. Tikka T3 and Ruger American rifles sell well plus it surprises me how many people buy Browning X-Bolts. Remington sucks. Winchester SX4s took off well. Vortex scopes are taking over.

Also, clean your damn shotguns. Way too many semi-autos come back in for "repair" that are just filthy.

In other news my M70 .270 is actually completed. Feels weird to hunt with a completed rifle after a few years of it being in stages. The stock is fully checkered and all of the hardware re-blued, including bright blue nitre bluing on the screws (which is already wearing off some). I picked up an old gloss Leupold VX3 3-9x scope in the past year (I love the look) and it is okay glass. I went ahead and glass/pillar bedded the stock too because the bottom metal fit was shitty despite it still shooting okay. Now it puts Sierra Gameking 130 gr bullets in 2.5" groups at 200 yards. I shot my deer this year at 250 yards (#6 for me with it) and with practice it can go further. To me it is attractive and reliable and I plan on taking a lot more critters home with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1966 katokoch, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  7. TheDiminished

TheDiminished
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ended up finally getting a subcompact carry gun, a Glock 43. Coming from a Sig Sauer SP 2022 as my primary, this is a gigantic difference. I did consider a 26 initially due to increased capacity (and ability to use G19 magazines, but it still felt kinda bulky for summer or light dresses carry.

6 round capacity from the Glock magazines is the only thing I can really complain about, but Strike Industries, Taran Tactical, and others make some aftermarket baseplates that increase the capacity.

First Glock I’ve ever owned, and I’m definitely a fan so far.

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, the state of MA has begun sending out letters informing people their bump stocks are now illegal and must be turned in within 90 days. No word of compensating people for their property. What's the over/under on compliance? Are they even registered?

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To my knowledge the only thing on an AR that is “registered” is the lower assembly.

I’d put the compliance at 20% or less. And that’s being generous.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who are the people getting the letters?

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm assuming it's any and all licensed carriers. Me and my wife each got one, and we don't own any rifles.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Regarding the MA law affecting bump stops:

"a “Bump Stock” is defined as a device for a semiautomatic firearm that increases the rate of fire achievable with such firearm by using energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger"

Guess that means belt loops are now illegal:

And the penalty for possessing such a device?

"The provision passed by the legislature yesterday allows for excessive punishment including life imprisonment, with a minimum sentence of 18 months, for the mere possession of these accessories."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ks/YK6clBXBbsKDz0Phg4Np6O/story.html#comments

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"No exceptions", even for those with *machine gun* licenses. That should tell you where they're coming from.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

More feel good legislation with next to no thought in how it’ll work. I didn’t mind the NRA throwing them under the bus but yet again blue states pass wonky legislation with little thought. Real thought leaders for the rest of us.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Quick question...

I've owned a few Glock 9mms and I still have a few "Law enforcement only" magazines. For the life of me I can't remember which model they fit correctly without the ass end hanging out.

If I remember correctly my Glock 17 stock magazines hung out past the grips on a Glock 19, and the law enforcement magazines fit nicely in the 17 with no over hang. Am I remembering the body size of the models right?

16. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. The 17 magazines are longer. The 19 comes with a 15 round magazine while the 26 has a 10 round. The 17 magazines will fit the smaller models.

17. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Me and a few buddies went to a Ducks Unlimited banquet at our local Cabela's this past Friday. The friend that drove parked his truck while me and Friend 2 went in, bought a 7 pack of tickets for $100. We filled out our names on our tickets (I put my name on 3 of them as I paid for them all on my credit card). We walked around, had some food, friends had a beer. It was OK - some artwork and collectables to bid on in an auction and I swear there were about 700 hundred people there. As Friend 1 was in line to get another beer I suddenly hear my name called in the raffle. I looked at Friend 2 and he confirmed what I thought I heard. "Hey, sounds like you just won a gun!"

So I go to the area where other winners had gathered (they were giving away 50 guns plus a separate $1000 raffle) and am given an Ipad to fill out the background check. I ask the guy that gave me the Ipad, "hey, what did I win?"
    Friend 2: "Looks like one of those Stevens .410 crack barrels they just brought up."
    Me: "Hey, that's pretty cool. I never win anything." *
    Friend 2: "It would be really cool if you won one of those" - pointing to a guy walking up with matching ARs.

I finish the background check and finally Khalil (on his name tag) starts digging around.... and comes back with one of the ARs.

Me: "Son of a bitch... I literally was headed to Academy last weekend to go buy one and had to change plans."
    Friend 2: "Procrastination wins again."

[​IMG]

The gun was made by Wise Arms in Lacompte, La. From what I found on his website and facebook, it appears to be an Anderson lower and upper.

https://wisearms.com/collections/ar-15/products/wise-arms-16-inch-5-56-w-15-inch-keymod

I also picked up some ammo, and a couple more mags. Obviously I need more mags and LOTS more ammo, but I'm also going to add some flip up sites. I'm also thinking of a Vortex Red Dot for the optics.

It's on the cheaper side so I'm not going crazy putting high-dollar parts on it. I've put off getting one simply because I didn't have a need/use for one, but now that I have it, I want to make it useful with no illusions of hitting targets out to 500 yards.

*I did win VIP tickets to the first Bourbon Fest in New Orleans a couple of years ago so I guess I can no longer say, "I never win anything."

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That's fucking awesome!

Have you shot it yet?

19. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I have not. The next day I had a wedding to go to * and the next day a get-together for a friends birthday.

I don't have a whole lot of places I can go shoot it that aren't at least a 45 minute drive from my house, except for maybe the indoor range at Bass Pro, and that's still 30-35 minutes away.

And there are no sights of any kind on it. I have those in my cart on Amazon and with the suggestions and wisdom of another friend who is very into guns and ammo (he has 5 ARs, at least 150 mags, and I'm being conservative when I estimate 20,000 rounds of .223 ammo) I'm leaning towards that Vortex Red Dot I mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, it appears it will be at least a few more weekends before I'll even have the time to go somewhere to shoot. But, that will give me time to review and decide on optics, have them delivered, and have them mounted and ready to go when I do get that chance.

*One could argue that a wedding in Louisiana is the PERFECT time to gather around and fire weapons into the air in celebration, but alas, this was not one of those weddings... it was pretty tame.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What... you don't live near a school?

(too soon?)