Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I was mistaken. For some reason I was thinking about something I saw in Field and Stream this month along with the article http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=257&Itemid=1

Only problem is they want their rifles in bolt action and not the 98B I saw from Barrett chambered for the same round in semi.

2. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Some guy firing a 600 Nitro Express round out of a pistol

#102 ILikePie, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So I saw that Ruger announced a few new pistols yesterday.

SR9c - compact, striker-fired 9mm carry pistol
    GP100 in .327 Fed Mag - 7 shot DA revolver
    Blackhawk in .327 Fed Mag - 8 shot SA revolver

I have to say that the only one I'm even slightly impressed with is the SR9c. Seems like a decent carry pistol, at a good price. Hopefully they don't have any problems like the early SR9 did.

As far as the others, I have a Blackhawk that I love, but I don't have any desire for anything in .327. I just don't see any applications where existing ammo was insufficient. I guess the extra 1 or 2 shots is nice, but I'd rather carry something bigger than .327 for personal defense, even if I have to give up a round or two.

4. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anybody know where I can get a forward sight post for a Tec-22? Mine blew off on account of an overloaded cartridge about a decade ago and I've had the damndest time finding parts for the thing on account of Intratec no longer existing. I want to sell it, but I can't sell a broken gun.

5. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try here... http://www.e-gunparts.com/

Also, do any of y'all have a way to find out how old a Charter Arms pistol is? My mom inherited one from her aunt, her aunt inherited it from my great grandfather, and she gave it to me. I'd like to find out any info on it, that I can.
    [​IMG]

6. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Usually the best first step is to find the customer service number for the manufacturer and give them a call. It's not gonna be that old though, relatively speaking. The original Charter Arms was founded in 1964.

7. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've emailed them but have not gotten a reply.

8. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This is a long shot, and not the most reliable method, but if you do some searching around gunsamerica.com or gunbroker.com you might be able to find one in the same model with a nearby serial number. Sometimes guns are produced out of order though. If you're lucky the ad might give a rough age. If you search on gunbroker, remember to include completed auctions, it will also give you a rough idea of value.

9. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Secrets of the Houston Warehouse"

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html</a>

This has been one of my favorite shooting-related reads for awhile... If you ever wonder just how accurate a rifle can get (in this case, benchrest rifles being shot in an empty warehouse), check it out.

10. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, ammunition testing with my Suhl 150-1 has been very promising but frustrating. It's difficult to shoot the rifle well in bags (I have custom Protektor front and rear bags) because the Suhl has alot of cast-off in the butt and the front bag has been packed for my other benchrest rifle with a 3" fore-end- the Suhl has an approx. 2 1/4" fore-end, which means it's pretty unstable.

[​IMG]

Five rounds, 50 yards (SK ammunition). Shit.

At least the factory trigger is sweet... I've got it down to maybe 2 oz. and it is just wonderful. Also, the Leupold 36X is amazing to shoot with.

[​IMG]

The crosshairs are crooked because I quick mounted the scope up before I went shooting and forgot my allen wrenches in my range bag. The photo was taken at 50 yards and the holes you see are from .22's. It'll be easy to shoot very precisely with this scope. You can see the fine crosshairs just at the top of the target I was shooting at.

11. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, because I wasn't completely satisfied with the Suhl's performance last week and need a solid benchmark to judge further testing and stockmaking ventures against, I decided to fully refinish the stock today. It's going to get a stain, hand rubbed oil finish, (maybe) some paint accents, but most importantly a dual pillar and glassbedding job to maximize the rifle's potential. I've noticed that the barrel likes to go crooked within the barrel channel when the action screws are cranked down, so it's clear the action is being stressed now.

[​IMG]

Lots of hardware stuck into these position stocks...

[​IMG]

This is the fore-end and action inlet prior to any work.

[​IMG]

Stripped and ready to stain...

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mixed up some black Rit dye with rubbing alcohol and went to town. It turned out be a great stain because it's very consistent once applied and soaks into the wood very quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this alot because it's jet black but you can still see the grain of the wood. While this stock doesn't have any figure- it's just some cheap, plain, straight-grained hardwood, it still has the feel and warm qualities of wood that I appreciate as opposed to a synthetic stock. I polished up some of the metal hardware too, so the fore-end rail has some shine to it now. I'll let this dry for a couple days and then start finishing it with Tru-oil. This should be a pretty easy stock to finish because the wood isn't too porous and it's softer than Walnut so filling the grain and polishing on the final coats should be easy. That and there's alot of flat surfaces on this stock and those will be a snap. I'll decide if I'll paint it or not once I'm done finishing it with the Tru-oil, however in the meantime I'll get some stencils prepared.

13. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Suhl is coming along nicely.

[​IMG]

I recently lapped the crown to make it clean and sharp again ('cause it was dogshit dirty when I got the rifle) and will be pillar bedding it once the aluminum pillars arrive.

14. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Katokoch, that seems to be coming along nicely.

So, what prevents a semiautomatic firearm from chambering all rounds that use a 9mm bullet? Is it simply that no one wants to bother trying, there is one out there that isn't well-publicized, or is there not an effective way to seat rounds of different lengths properly within the same machine?

I do understand the difference between cartridge lengths (and that 9x18mm uses a different bullet than 9x19mm, for example), I'm just wondering what kind of modifications you'd need to seat rounds of different lengths. Perhaps a dial that allows you to alter the length of the chamber (by affecting how far forward/back the bolt can fly, or moving the front of the chamber forward/back)?

15. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First couple of things that come to the top of my head are difficulties in feeding, obvious differences in the chambers, and cycling being tricky due to differences in pressures. Accuracy might not be good too because there would be a ton of jump to get to the lands with a shorter case in a longer chamber.

Some .22's can cycle shorts, longs, and LR rounds in any combination fine and you can shoot .38 specials in a .357 pistol and .44 specials in a .44 mag, etc, but those are also manually operated firearms (i.e. bolt-action or a single/double action).

I think the cases themselves might have something to do with it, as the .22's and revolver rounds are rimmed and pistol rounds are typically rimless. However I am just guessing about that. I can't remember if the rimless pistol rounds have any taper in the case, as that would mean the cases you used in a longer chamber would require some work if you reload.

16. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There are a lot more dimensions that you need to worry about than just the diameter of the bullet. If you sat down and looked through a reloading manual or other reference that gives all the dimensions for different cartridges, you'd see that even cartridges that all use the same bullet diameter vary in length, diameter at bullet end, diameter near rim end, straight vs. tapered walls, rim diameter, rim thickness, depth/angle of extractor groove, etc. In order to make a gun that shoots all of them, the chamber will have to be large enough for the largest parts of all the cartridges. That's going to make it too large for most of them, and could cause splits in the brass cases. You're also going to have problems feeding them from the magazine, because of the differences in length and diameter. Revolver cartridges are really hard to feed through a magazine because the rim is larger than the case. You'll have extraction problems because of the differences in rims and extractor groove measurements.

There are guns that can use multiple cartridges (.38 special/.357; .44 special/.44 mag) but only because the only difference is case length. The diameters and rims are the same, and most guns that can interchange are revolvers/single shot guns.

17. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ah, I see, even between 9x17mm and 9x19mm there are a few tenths of a millimeter's difference in all the other dimensions. So to handle the 9x19, you'd need something that fits 9.96mm(rim, smaller measurements for the rest of the cartridge) but not freak out over the 9.5mm (uniform) width of the 9x17mm. So, it'd be a bitch/unsafe to reload the spent .380 cartridges, and they might not seat properly when they go off, causing un-fun things in the chamber? I'm trying to think what parts of the firearm would need to change to allow this to operate safely, if possible.

18. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

There are many weapons that allow you to change caliber usually with a simple barrel and sometimes mag change for best fitment.

The H&K USP Compact .40 is available with a .357Sig barrel (same mags) and there are aftermarket 9mm barrels available to fit the .40 frame (same frame; 9mm mag).

The P7 (discontinued) also used different barrels for .22LR, .32ACP and .380ACP (9x17mm)

Not to mention the popular .22LR conversion for .223 rifles that just consists of different mags and BCG. Or the ever expanding AR-15/10 platforms for somewhat uncommon rounds such as 5.7x28mm (AR57 upper, 50rd mags), 6.5, .308, 7.62x39/51/54R, 5.45x39, .270, just to name a few.

19. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saw these images on a recent 6mmbr.com daily bulletin post and they were too awesome not to share.

Apparently ATK had a big trailer at this years Shot Show and one of the things on display was a Weaver scope that had been carefully sectioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have I mentioned yet that the photos are simply pretty fucking cool? There's alot more metal and precisely threaded stuff in there than I expected. I wonder what a March 8-80X would be like...

20. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

There is also the Sig P250 which you can change the size of the slide, size of the frame (Full, compact, subcomact), and what it is chambered for (9mm, 357 Sig, 45acp, 40S&W) all in one pistol.