Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. YankeeCarCzar

YankeeCarCzar
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have a Beretta 20 guage 390 semi-auto shotgun that was jamming on me over the weekend. It wasn't the shells... I gave it a thorough cleaning after shooting. Does anyone know why it was jamming on me? Out of the 100 shells, about 15-20 jams...

2. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Immersed in a culture devoid of human intelligence
    I've got plenty of experience and time invested into shooting. I regularly shoot until my guns break or my hands bleed. However I do need some advice on the XD line by Springfield. I was wondering if anyone carries on of the .45 carry models on a regular basis? I already have a MEUSOC 1911 and a 3.5 1911 that I carry and I am looking for something that is more comfortable and lighter.

3. YankeeCarCzar

YankeeCarCzar
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'd look into the Sig Sauer P245.

4. YankeeCarCzar

YankeeCarCzar
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

OR

P220 carry / P220 compact

5. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How are you cleaning your shotgun? When you break it down and clean it, are you getting all the way to your recoil spring in the stock and removing the trigger assembly? A dirty recoil spring will cause jams and failures. You also may want to clean out the gas ports with a drill bit (not attached to a drill, obviously).

6. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

A little something for the gun nuts here. We are just fucking around in this video between relays.

[​IMG]

7. YankeeCarCzar

YankeeCarCzar
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's a good point. I'm not. I'll try it out. Thanks!

8. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ok, I have a really dumb question so please bear with me.

I was watching 'Burn Notice' an hour or so ago, and the main character used a sniper rifle. Now, I know you can get rifles that are magazine fed, but he was using the kind where you chamber a round at a time. This got me thinking that this is fairly common place in the movies and on TV, and I was wondering why? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it so should you miss you can take another shot before your target can get to safety? Is this how it normally works, or is it just something that has infiltrated TV and films?

I know there is probably a very good reason for this, I was just wondering what it is.

Cheers.

9. guy incognito

guy incognito
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Are you talking about bolt-action as opposed to semi auto? Some shooters favor the former because bolt-action is less prone to mechanical failure and supposedly more accurate- but with advances in technology that's debatable. Also, an experienced shooter can chamber another round almost as fast as a semi auto can.

10. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Exactly what I was asking good sir.

I appreciate what you're saying, it just seems to me that a marksman could get off another shot quicker if he didn't have to take his eye off the target, chamber another round and then reaquire said target.

Not being a dick, I just find it interesting.

11. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This statement isn't necessarily true. With proper eye relief you can chamber a new round without taking your eye off-target.

The answer to your question is really mission dependent. At less than 500m with the prospect of engaging multiple targets quickly(think hostage-rescue in an urban area) semi auto rifles are preferred. At longer distances from 800- 1600 meters a true sniper rifle is required. You tend to find that the shooting community is somewhat leery of new technology.

12. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Please don't get me wrong-I have no fire arms experience so I wouldn't question those that have, it just seems in my mind that being able to pull the trigger a second after your last shot is definately quicker than pulling back the bolt, inserting a new round and then setting up shop again. BUT...as I said, I have no experience in these matters, it's just genuine curiosity. Hell, I live in a country where you need to meet a certain criteria just to own a BB gun.

13. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Most of the time when shooting a long range target, the gun kicks enough to where you have to reacquire your target anyway.
    Plus, as was stated a few posts back, bolt action rifles tend to be a bit more accurate, but lately there have been some semi-automatic sniper rifles developed that are claimed to be just as accurate as their bolt action counterparts.

14. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

It is very hard to find a semi auto rifle that is capable of holding a MOA or less. They tend to need a lot of work done to them to accomplish it. When talking about the sniper community the standard is for the gun to hold at or less than a MOA. The standard .308 (7.62MM X51) bolt action rifles need much less work and generally are much more reliable.

Bolt action guns are normally heavier than semi's and the weight not only improves accuracy, but also helps control recoil thus keeping your sights closer to your target. There is no doubt that a semi auto is faster. No human alive can work a bolt as fast as you can reset a trigger, bur I would much rather have a simple, heavy and reliable bolt gun any day.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The only semi-auto sniper rifle I've heard that comes close to the performance of a bolt-action is the Accuracy International semi-auto .50

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.defensereview.com/accuracy-international-as50-semi-auto-50-bmg-rifle-for-us-navy-seals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.defensereview.com/accuracy-i ... avy-seals/</a>

From what I've read, they US military has bought all they can make so far, and seem to like them.

17. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

We talking range or ballistics? 338 Lapua Mag I thought gets pretty close in range doesn't it? Gov was looking into purchasing some rifles from AI I read somewhere.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I was specifically talking about .50 semi's.

19. lugmastro

lugmastro
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

We talking range or ballistics? 338 Lapua Mag I thought gets pretty close in range doesn't it? Gov was looking into purchasing some rifles from AI I read somewhere.[/quote]

Originally Accuracy International supplied systems for the British Royal Marines. They were chambered in .338 Lapula and were bolt action. The US military has fielded a .50 semi automatic sniper rifle for a number of years. I believe that it was first made by Barret. I have not heard of one made by AI but I do not doubt that it exists.

Nettdata can you post a pic or specs please?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The link I posted had pics and the specs from the sales brochure.