Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

And remember, you'll have to get the guns shipped to someone with a Federal Firearms License in your state to do the transfer paperwork, so take into account the shipping charges, plus the transfer fee from the receiving FFL (anywhere from 20 to 50 bucks usually).

2. microcuts

microcuts
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Just got my first rifle at age 23. Remington Model 700. Really excited about it, but not so excited that the ammo is around $35 a box. It is a .300 Short Action Mag.

3. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Time to head down the "Reloading" aisle at your nearing gun store.

4. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yep, that's the only way I can afford to shoot. If you have any interest in reloading, I can answer questions. If no gun stores in your area carry reloading supplies, I can also give you about 5 handy websites.

5. Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Another place with great selection is www.budsgunshop.com. While I've never dealt with their online division, I've only heard good things and their prices are as good or better than almost anywhere else. I bought an AR from their actual store last year and the customer service was great. On a related note they have hot girls working in the store that actually know about guns, if anyone is ever near Paris, Kentucky I'd highly recommend stopping in and checking the store out.

6. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You may also want to check out CDNN. They're a retailer and offer some so-so deals, but a few are exceptionally good.

CDNN Investments

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bought a brand new FNP-9 from CDNN for $380 shipped about a year ago. At the time, they were ~$100 cheaper than everywhere else. After transfer, it was in my hands for $420.

Their customer service was fantastic, too. Very willing to answer questions and if they don't know the answer, they'll apologize for putting you on hold and find it out. If they've got something you want at a price you like, definitely go with them.

8. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

How do you like this piece? I was debating on purchasing one of these but was undecided if I should just hold out for my Gold Cup National Match Colt.

9. Vaquero

Vaquero
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I know there were a couple of links on the old board for buying ammunition online, but is there anywhere that would have 5.56 or .223 in stock right now? I'm working on picking up an Rock River AR and figure I should at least find some deals since I can't start reloading yet.

10. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... mo-223-556

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... ***690***&

It's actually been fairly easy to find .223 lately, even Wal-mart has had the federal bulk packs in stock for quite a while here, and the local gun store has had a pile of the Fiocchi stuff, which I've had good luck with accuracy-wise. If you have any questions about reloading let me know, I even have a ton of extra components for .223 if any of it will help you out.

11. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dicks had ammo on sale, buy one get one half off. I don't know if that's still going on but I got 6 boxes of .223 Remington UMC ammo for $40.00.

12. Vaquero

Vaquero
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Thanks for the links. One other question I have is are there any downsides to using steel case ammunition besides not being able to reload? I know that some steel cased rounds have had a lacquer on the case that will build up in the barrel, but is this the case with all steel cased rounds? I want to build up a brass stockpile for when I eventually reload, but steel case is a good way to get me out shooting for a cheaper price.

13. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Downsides:
    The lacquer builds up in the chamber, and can be a huge bitch to clean, because as the chamber heats up it gets gummy, and when it cools down it hardens again. If you have a tight chamber you can run into feeding and extraction problems. Cheap steel cased ammo usually isn't all that accurate either, which just leads to frustrations and setbacks if you're working on developing your marksmanship.

Fiocchi is barely more expensive, $175 for 500 rds compared to $160 for 500 rds of Wolf at ammunitiontogo.com. You're not going to find anyone that will sell you 500 brass cases for $15. You're looking at $100 or so worth of brass if you bought it new, and I like the fiocchi brass for reloading. If you plan on reloading, be careful about buying the military spec or surplus ammo, because they usually crimp the primers in. You'll have to get a tool to fix the primer pockets before you can reload them.

14. Vaquero

Vaquero
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Sounds like I'll just stick to brass. Better to start collecting now for reloading later when I get the space and equipment.

15. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I stopped by the Cabela's near Owatonna, MN as I was headed home from a trip and spent awhile in the gun library.

By far my favorite was this beauty: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c.../owatonna/fine_rifle/1175942_daknaha2_owa.jsp

The Dakota had one of the slickest actions and better finish than some of the $10,000+ express rifles I also got my hands on. Perfectly balanced. I am a sucker for nice rifles and that one killed me.

On a side note, I picked up my Suhl 150-1 from the person I had it shipped to over Thanksgiving break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a single shot .22 and very similar to an Anschutz 54, except manufactured in East Germany back in the 80's. I've got plans drawn up for a benchrest stock and will probably end up making a pattern and having several copies made. The scope is an older Leupold 36X... once I get the rifle finished it should shoot pretty damn well. The goal is sub-.2" at 50 yards. The factory trigger on these rifles are spectacular... in a minute I had mine adjusted to having zero creep and a pull at 2 ounces, all without taking it out of the stock. Those Germans had their shit together when they made these.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

17. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I thought that idea sounded familiar, so I did a quick google search. I remember somebody on one of the gun boards posting about the Sure
    Sight a while back. I'd have to use both to see how they worked, but just from looking I think that the professors sight could be very precise and better for target shooters, while the ones linked below would be quicker to acquire and better for defense/practical shooting:

http://www.suresight.com/

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting... never seen that sight before.

I think they both work off of the same kind of principle, which is that the brain naturally extends objects/shapes to what we expect to see, and if they don't fit that, it feels/looks "wrong", so we can adjust.

A basic shape like a triangle is one of those simple shapes that we naturally extend, unlike a typical post sight, which is a shape we have to learn and interpret.

I guess it's no different than the circle-in-circle sights I've used for years on my target .22 rifles... when all the circles line up, it feels "right", as we naturally want things to be centred.

19. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Also the same reason that aperture (peep) sights are so easy and quick for target acquisition. I love shooting peep sights.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Uhmmm.... holy shit.

Was just sent this link to a video of (supposedly) actual .50 sniper footage blowing the fuck out of long distance (meat) targets.

Crazy.

While not really hi-fidelity footage, it's not for the squeamish.

EDIT: FYI, I'm not sure this is legit or not, but I did find it on the internet. Take that for what it's worth.

And it seems that it's a guy doing some varmit hunting in Utah.

Still pretty cool.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rmvh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rmvh.com</a>

#80 Nettdata, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015