Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At least some retailers are ready for the zombie takeover.

2. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Especially this guy. He drives a Unimog to the shop every once in a while too.

[​IMG]

3. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

TX is the same way. The hardware store two blocks from me is the biggest gun dealer in the county.

4. Stimpson J Cat

Stimpson J Cat
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thanks to a generous refund check from my university this fall, I currently have some disposable income that I can put towards a new gun. Already having a shotgun, deer rifle, and pistol, and given the rising ammo costs over the past couple years, I've decided to make my next purchase a .22 rifle for general target shooting/plinking. So far, I'm leaning towards a semiauto, and I've heard the Ruger 10/22 is pretty consistent, and has plenty of quality aftermarket customizations available.

The problem: I shoot southpaw (cross eye dominant). Does anyone here have experience shooting a right-handed rifle lefty? I guess I'm just mostly worried about the action throwing shit into my eyes. I guess I could just always wear shooting glasses whenever I use it (since it's a good idea anyway), but I'd prefer to have the option not to.

Also, if I do choose to go with the 10/22, does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades? I'm looking to spend under $400 total, at least for this year.

5. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm a big fan of the Hogue overmolded stocks. There are quite a few aftermarket trigger kits out there, Power Custom, Timney, and Volquartsen all come to mind. I don't have any experience with those though, so I can't help much there. The 10/22 is a great rifle out of the box.

My .22 rifle is a Marlin model 60. Besides the 10/22, it's probably the next best selling .22 rifle out there. Mine is completely stock, and I have no plans of changing it, it's great the way it is.

Either way, put a nice 1-7x adjustable scope on there, and you'll be set.

6. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm left handed and shoot a right hand rifle. No big deal, all you need is a decent pair of shooting glasses.

As far as upgrades for a 10/22, none are really needed unless you want a scope or a smoother trigger. It's pretty decent right out of the box.

I, like slippingaway, have a Marlin Model 60. It is a tack driver right out of the box but does not have a detachable magazine. They are less expensive than the 10/22 but have fewer after market upgrades available.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My girlfriend's brother has a 10/22 that's a great gun to shoot. It's plenty accurate and there are essentially endless amounts of things you can do to them. Personally, I think they're great from the get-go, but it's nice that you can have the freedom to do whatever you want. It's basically the AR of the .22 world in that sense.

There are two things that I would get right away, though. The first is magazines. Buy a decent amount of spares so you can load them all up before you start shooting. The second is a scope. There's a ton of different options here, but if you're just looking to plink and don't feel like spending a ton of money, you can go with this one. I put it on my Marlin .22 magnum and it's served me really well so far. It's held zero after being bumped around pretty good, the glass is nice and clear, it's got an adjustable objective, and it's adult airgun rated, so it's sturdy. For ~$45, it's one of those things that'll get you started and if it shits the bed in a few years, it's nothing to cry about.

8. theiceman

theiceman
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm not sure if this type of thing even exists, but due to DC's ridiculous gun laws, as well as the rules on weapons on a college campus, does anybody know of a place in the DC/MD/VA area that will store my guns? It really sucks that I'm not able to shoot while I'm up here, so if anybody knows of a place, PM me or reply on here.

9. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The only way to avoid the problem of a rifle throwing stuff toward you if you shoot left-handed is to avoid semi-autos, or get a left handed one, which is probably going to be expensive. Plus, neither the 10/22 or model 60 come left handed, at least not that I know of.

Both the 10/22 and model 60 eject brass at about the same angle. For a left handed shooter, the brass will fly over your arm. It won't hit your arm, and it shouldn't be anywhere near your face if you're in the correct shooting position. You can find brass catchers or deflectors if you think you need them, but you don't. Wear shooting glasses though, all the time. You'd be amazed at what can come bouncing back towards you from downrange, even when it doesn't look like there's anything for the bullets to bounce off of.

To expand on the Marlin model 60 vs. 10/22 (sporter model) a little more...

They'll both shoot the same. They're both accurate enough for any kind of backyard target shooting or hunting.

Magazines:
    The model 60 has a tube magazine, which means it can hold 14 rounds, and is quick to reload. You just turn the cap of the tube, pull out the sleeve, and drop 14 rounds through a cutout slot. Push the sleeve back in and turn the cap. You can shoot fast enough to complete overheat and ruin the barrel if you want to.

The 10/22 uses a detachable rotary magazine. I think it takes more time to load the rotary magazines, but if you have a lot of them, you can eliminate loading time between magazines.

Sights/scopes:
    Both have iron sights that are good. Both have rails for you to mount scopes.

Safety:
    Both use the same push-button, crossbolt style safety.

Overall length and weight are so close they might as well be the same.

Reliability of the two is the same, you'll almost never have a problem that isn't caused by cheap ammo. I've had my model 60 for 15 years, and just now bothered to figure out how to disassemble and do a full cleaning on it. All I've done for 15 years was swab the barrel, and run a gun rag over the outside. It always worked.

10. Forest Ranger

Forest Ranger
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't know how many canadians there are, but americans are very lucky in terms of their gun laws. I have been shooting for many years, but it is almost impossible to get a gun accross the boarder without a whole hassle with paperwork, taxes, customs, etc.

Difference between Canadian Firearm Laws and American....

Last summer my family and i went to Ohio for the cardinal classic trapshooting competition. Hundreds of shooters came out as we made the journey down there. Getting hungry one night after a shoot, we decide to hit up the taco bell (it was the only food place around) a quarter mile up the road on the highway. I went in my buddies jeep while my parents took the golf cart to the restaurant. Me and my buddy pull up to the drive thru and who the hell do we see infront of us but my parents. First off, they were going through the drive thru in a golf cart, thats just funny anywhere. But what was surprising was they had 3 guns on the golf cart... just hanging around with ammunition all over the place. My dad even goes and walks around with his gun while waiting for the food. This, as a canadian is mind blasting. Never can you ever do this in canada. Even having a case that would look like a gun could get you into trouble with citizens.

As much as I love Canada, I don't want to adopt the american way, but i would like to adopt some of your regulations on firearms.

11. Diogenes The Cynic

Diogenes The Cynic
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Does anyone else notice while shooting a Glock that the gun creaks and warps during every shot? I used one the other day and was surprised by how much it rattled. Is this normal?

12. theiceman

theiceman
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I don't know if I'd describe it as creaking and warping, but I definitely feel like the Glock is a very unstable weapon when I'm firing it. I don't think they're stable enough to give truly accurate shot placement. But if you have a Glock that's noticeably warping during every shot, that doesn't sound right.

13. mikeondolences

mikeondolences
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Are you referring to rattle between the slide and frame only? When you lock the slide back, the barrel shouldn't move, but you should have slight play between frame and slide.

14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most, if not all, polymer frame pistols flex when shot. Case in point:

You can see the frame "chatter" underneath the guide rod during the slide cycle, which is normal for these types of guns (Note: the video shows an automatic Glock pistol, but it's the same idea). If yours gets to the point where it feels like that chatter has become more intense or the contact between the slide and the frame feels overly loose after shooting it, have a gunsmith look at it.

#54 effinshenanigans, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  15. DrunkenCokeHead

DrunkenCokeHead
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

[​IMG]

What a .................I have no words.
    It's like you are shooting a .50(Grizzly like) kick back with a power of a .32.
    I wouldn't even use it for bedroom defence it's that in accurate.

This, however a joy:
    [​IMG]
    Battle proven!

16. PewPewPow

PewPewPow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

I recently traded my GA Precision for this sweet piece of ass. She's a dream to shoot, and there's hardly any buzzle blast thanks to the KX3.

LMT upper
    noveske barrel + kx3+ionbond
    LMT chrome blot carrier group
    troy front/rear BUIS
    Extended latch charging handle 30
    larue rail
    Larue VFG
    Aimpoint ML3 in Larue mount (has since been replaced by an Eotech 553

LMT lower - single stage trigger
    ambi safety
    DD rear sling mount
    troy grip

17. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My Uncle is trying to unload a couple guns he's collected over the years, but doesn't know how much to ask for them. Is there any way I can figure out their worth by serial Number?

The first one is a 1978 "Pre-ban" AR-15. (CAR-15 Sporter)
    [​IMG]

The other, which I'm probably going to try and buy from him, is a 12ga Remington 870 with Pistol Grip and Folding stock
    [​IMG]

Both are in great condition, and have been used only sparingly, probably less than 2 dozen times each.

Any ideas on what he should ask, or sites where we could find this out? Thanks in advance!

18. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

One of the best upgrades you can do for a 10/22 in term of accuracy (beyond the trigger) is to get a good barrel. I have many 10/22 tweaked all the way up with Lilja hand lapped barrels, but the best bang for you buck is a Green Mountain barrel. They make these low cost but extremely accurate drop-in 10/22 barrels. The old mods I've done to my favorite 10/22 is a VQ trigger assembly (wonderful trigger but I won't do that again only because it cost as much as the rifle itself) and a Green Mountain Stainless Steel barrel. I now have Todd of TT System do all of my 10/22 trigger work for $80. I think I paid around $125 for the GM barrel.

Checkout http://www.rimfirecentral.com for lots of info on 10/22 upgrades.

19. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

20. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

These guys have been around for a while and are pretty well known. I think they are probably the biggest and most popular online firearm mart. I've bought several rifles (a few very expensive) with no complaints what so every, but please do your home work. They have very strict rules you must follow.