Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well, if anyone is interested in picking up a GSG-5, you may want to hurry up.

2. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Love that scope. It moves from rifle to rifle as I like using that scope when I am doing load development. Once I'm happy with the load for a particular rifle, I swap the scope with a more practical hunting scope and move the 36X to the next file.

3. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm putting it on my rimfire benchrest rifle (10.5 lb.)... The last 36x I had was an older Japanese manufactured Tasco that couldn't hold a zero worth shit. My Mueller APV ($130 4.5-14x) performed much better than it. Luckily, I made $50 off selling the Tasco. The Leupold was $420 shipped, which isn't a bad deal either. Just yesterday I ordered 5 lots of SK Pistol Match Special to test... four 5x5's at 50 yards with each lot should be enough.

4. White Zombie

White Zombie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

There's a Richmond County cop that I know that stopped by the gunshop when I was still working there a few months back who had one.

I'm not sure if it was because it was an import or what, but this thing was an honest to goodness heavy, clunky, finicky piece of shit. After I got to dink around around with it for a couple of hourse, I can honestly say that it doesn't smoothly transition between semi or pump, nor does it do either one of them well.

It's no small wonder he's wanting to get rid of the blasted thing.

It's kind of interesting in concept, but poorly executed from what I've observed thus far.

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The 870 Wingmaster that my father gave me was his double-duty gun for the better part of two decades. Shot, slugs, everything went through it.

My issue is that, after taking a closer look at the gun, I saw that the barrel was stamped "full", which I assumed referred to the choke. I took down the serial number and called Remington to confirm. Sure enough, it's a 30in, vent rib, full choke barrel.

I've read plenty of things about shotguns since I was handed one of my own and one thing that routinely pops up is that slugs should not be shot out of a full choke because it's too restrictive. Yet, my father has shot hundreds of slugs with that gun without any incident (other than the filling of our freezer and the mounting of multiple trophy bucks).

Your thoughts?

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wouldn't.

But it really depends on the barrel, the choke, and the slugs.

Some slugs are undersized, so won't be as problematic.

Some slugs, on the other hand, are over-sized to help get a better "fit", which provides a better seal.

My biggest fear would be building up too much pressure in the barrel/muzzle.

I, too, have a Wingmaster 870, and I ended up buying an 18" rifled slug barrel for it.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He has only ever shot Remington Slugger slugs out of that gun. Are those on the smaller side since they're hollow and the tails expand as they're pushed out of the barrel?

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have no idea... I'm not familiar with them.

I do know a few people that use sabots instead of slugs in their shotguns with full chokes, as they're undersized and have a plastic sabot around the slug.

Here's an interesting article on shotgun slugs: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Not really addressing the full-choke question, but interesting comparison of different rounds.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The conclusion from that article pretty well sums it up:

10. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remington is rolling its 10 millionth 870 out this year. You should be able to buy a replacement, tubed, 870 barrel for a song. Truthfully, I would get a rifled barrel and a tubed barrel, but that's just me. As long as you're getting a 3" barrel for a 3" receiver or a 2 3/4" barrel for a 2 3/4" receiver you should be fine.

11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm definitely going to buy a slug barrel for it eventually. Problem is, with the roughly $160 in license/stamps I'll need to hunt in MD, plus lodging and food (and hopefully butchering) costs, a new barrel just isn't in the cards right now.

12. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know that it's generally a good idea to avoid politics, but does anyone know of any good non-USA sources on gun crime in the USA, and how gun restrictions or "shall issue" concealed-carry have affected crime rates? On the other forum I spend time on, there's this one German who refuses any source from the USA because he thinks the issue is far too politicized in this country.

Also, feel free to link me to stuff proving that guns kill people, or that more gun restrictions would benefit the USA.

13. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As if my recent Leupold 36x scope purchase wasn't random enough, I just bought a Suhl 150-1.

For those that don't recognize that name, they are single-shot .22 target rifles that were made in East Germany, and the bastards shoot incredibly well.

I scored mine for a ridiculous price, which makes me feel better considering I was calling the seller 10 minutes after hearing about it's sale.

Looks like I've got another good project for the winter... re-finishing and bedding the factory stock and building up a serious benchrest stock for this rifle.

Hopefully it'll be doing under .2" at 50 yards when all is said and done.

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My buddy is looking for a pocket sized .32 to carry for personal protection. I own guns but since I have big hands and don't mind wearing a holster I know nothing about these types of guns. Suggestions, experiences, recommendations?

We went to a gun show this past weekend and he was looking at Kel-Tec and Guardian .32s

15. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Check this out...

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

There's a few .32ACPs there to start with. Might also want to check out Kahr and see if they've got one out. I thought I heard they were releasing one, but I'm not sure.

16. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's not a .32, but seriously check out the Ruger LCP. I have one, and I love it. It functions flawlessly and is remarkably accurate considering it has tiny sights. I got it for $269 from a local store, don't let the MSRP fool you. I wouldn't trust a .32 for self defense, .380 is really borderline in my opinion, but I love this gun. I did switch out the slide springs for some slightly stronger Wolff springs, and it now feeds all ammo flawlessly. Check out www.elsiepeaforum.com and rugerforum.com for more info. It's really really similar to the Keltec P3-AT, which also seems to be a favorite little pocket gun. I prefer the LCP because the ergonomics seem a little better, and it just looks better.

17. modsquad

modsquad
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If he wants something that works and also happens to be beautiful, look for a Savage 1907. It's the pistol used by Jude Law in the movie Road to Perdition.

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

18. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would not buy a new .32 when so many great older guns are out there. The Colt Hammerless and the Browning 1910/1955 are great blowback postols. They're slim design is great for concealed carry.

19. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My grandfather was in the Army and I was just given his service pistol, a Colt 1903 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_1903). It hadn't been fired in decades, so I brought it to a smith to have them check it out and replace any worn out parts and to buff it up a little bit. It's a beautiful little gun and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

20. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for the replies on the .32

To me a .32 is too small but it's what his father carries for protection sometimes so "like father, like son". That pdf was perfect, I passed it along to him so he can do some research on his own.

All this gun talk got me rev'd up to buy another piece so I just bought a Walther PPS 9mm while I was shopping for a chainsaw (gotta love NH)

[​IMG]