Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you seen this site? I have bought a couple off of it. https://san-antonio.texasguntrader.com/index.php

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You'll love it. I own 3 Henry rifles and one Marlin lever action. If I had a huge financial windfall, I'd buy many of the Henry special editions, they're so gorgeous. I tried to buy a Golden Boy in 45-70 a couple years ago, but when I got a close inspection, its stock was already dinged all to hell, just from careless sales associates handling it.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

honestly I have heard and read bad things about tx gun traded so I avoided it. That being said, people in San Antonio are honest to a fault (it’s like getting anti-scammed on Craigslist— when you call, people will tell you if their stuff is shit and they’ll probably take less haha). So while I’d be very leery of the website in general, anything local I think you’d have a pretty good shot with. There’s some real assholes out there though, so just be cautious. That’s why bought from a dealer on guntrader, after checking out their website and past sales and stuff, to make sure they were legit.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

learned to shoot a with a Henry .22 (after the daisy red Ryder phase) so there’s definitely a sentimental factor.

So far the process has been real easy. Wish the guy took credit card to make it easier, but he’s very clear on not being scammed to the point it looks like his correspondence is paranoia. I get it though — lose some serious cash to it once, and that’s all it takes.

the platform itself was real easy to navigate and bid. I’ve never even messed with eBay or anything because I’m not very good with technology, and this was literally my first time making a bid on anything. Got it in one bid, for just over MSRP. I’m thinking I should quit these auction sites while I’m ahead

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

last part is why I wanted (and got) one with a side loading gate, in addition to the under barrel magazine. Load through the side gate, unload through the magazine. It’s not ideal, but you’re not unloading in the field unless it’s on/into something, and at home you can drop them onto a couch. Loading gate makes things super simple though.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just found out that the steel ball compound bow is a thing that exists, and I want one badly.

7. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As cool as it looks, I would steer way clear of it. If anything goes wrong during the draw or release and that ball doesn't go perfectly forward through the center of the riser, it could hit your hand, ricochet back at your face off the riser, etc. Too much that could go wrong.

8. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I rarely look critically at what could go wrong when I see something like it, at first. All of that risk could be reduced with basic safety gear.

I doubt I will ever buy one. Have you seen the prices? They're basically $600+ slingshots. I have a good slingshot with a pic rail for a laser or light.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this sounds like something that would happen to me

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You could get hurt in a padded cell.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

hey those things are fun

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone on here ever sell anything on Gunbroker.com or other online sales site? I have a couple firearms I think I want to part with and while a local shop will sell for a 15% commission, I figured I'd check out other options that offer a wider market than the local shop.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ve sold before on Texas Gun Trader. Found a safe place to meet at an actual gun range. They can try the gun out there too. Make the swap in the parking lot. Also, not sure of the laws where you live, but you might be able to private sell at an actual gun show. I’ve done that too.

14. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in northern Virginia. There is a monthly/quarterly gun show at the Dulles Expo center and they used to allow private sales there, but I didn't see anything about private sales on their website. It's been a decade since I last went...it used to be free or a few dollars for admission, now it's $100 just to get in...my guess is the fee is more to keep protesters out than make money.

I'm looking to sell a few handguns, so I'm leaning toward using the shop for the added layer of the shop handling the paperwork.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

the idea of private selling a firearm is terrifying to me. The idea that said gun might be used for something bad in another set of hands down the line, and it comes back on me, is nightmare fuel. Just personally, it would be worth it to me to swallow the gun shop commission fee. I'm certain in this market that it would be easy to make up and then some.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

500 rounds of .357 on the way. Dear god I’m turning into @toytoy88

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dont think I have actually sold a gun. Took a nice pistol to a gun show once and only a single guy made an offer 100 below my bottom price so I skipped it. My little brother used to do it all the time and printed out some internet bill of sale as a sort of proof it was sold to a specific person. The BoS is something I see much more these days though it's not something that has ever come up when I purchased something. I might ask for one if the I was the original purchaser of the gun I was selling since the 4473 would link it back to me. If it was a gun that I had gotten in some face to face deal with no paperwork Id probably skip it. Dont think there would be much chance itd be found to have passed through my hands. Fucking read up on all state and federal laws first.

Ive bought numerous guns off of gun broker and have never had a bad experience. Their rating system has never let me down. With that if they are out of state you have to ship to an ffl so those at least will go through background checks if you are worried. Also bought plenty off of armslist with no issues.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

This is my first time ever going through an FFL. I probably have over a dozen guns at this point. Don’t keep track. Bought two pistols at a gun show, the rest at LGS. Also first time messing with the money order thing, and first time buying ammo online, which my wife definitely doesn’t know about yet. But hey, it’s cheaper to buy in bulk right? And 500 rounds is “bulk” I think. It came with a free ammo box!

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

give me a clock 20 on an OWB or chest rig and call it a day. I’ll get one eventually. Imo it’s like the AR10 .308 of pistols — not the best of the heavy weights for every scenario, but it does what it does well enough, under most all circumstances. It has enough oomph for pretty much whatever, and you have enough rounds to back yourself up.

my next firearm will be a colt .357 revolver (sentimental reasons), but a g20 is likely next after that.