Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First working proto type of a gauss rifle.

Shoot between 10mm and 12mm diameter bullets. Between 1" to 2" long. Shoots very slow 75m/s or 250ft/s. 12mm at 2" long is about 650 grains.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate doing research twice. I bought my rifle 6 years ago just before i moved and i never got my reloading press set up or even shot it. Now i want to get my shit set up and i can't remember what info i found for target loads. I remember 168 sierra match kings some used 175, but most used 168 and most used varget powder. But i cant remember how much powder or what length they did them to. Now with my initial research i cant find any of that.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Figured out what i want. But fuck me trying to find anything in Canada right now. So far i cant find 210 or 210m primers anywhere.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welcome to 2 years ago.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great. Even the bullets i was looking for wasn't happening. I only tried a few places then gave up and went to bed. So it sounds like i am probably fucked and will have to find a hunting store that will order for me. Problem is all the local ones have closed, the 2 in town, the one 150km away.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

can you order online?

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have been looking cabela's doesn't have any federal 210 or 210m right now. And with firearms stuff can't ship explosives across the boarder. And even some carrirers in canada will not except ammo any more.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I’ve been thinking of setting up a gun for coyote hunting and there are certainly some fun rounds that have become popular in the past 5 years but now it’s a nightmare to find anything. Probably just slap a night vision scope on a .233 Savage I have.

9. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a big fan of .300 Blackout for coyotes, but that's largely because it suppresses well.

On a related note: ~20 years ago, there was a bounty on coyotes in parts of Texas. I made a whole lot of money that summer. There's currently a bounty on feral hogs in two counties, but it's only $5/head.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

technically its $5/tail, and at this point it costs more in gas to travel to turn them in somewhere than you’d get for them in return. I just leave them and let the vultures and other critters have a go. Nature has to eat too.

11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not guns or ammo, but I got a fantastic deal on a used but still in great condition Bowtech Carbon Icon. I didn't need a second bow, but when the deal popped up on a CT Hunting group I'm part of on Facebook, I just couldn't pass it up. Bow came with the sight, quiver, rest, stabilizer, and the guy even threw in about a dozen arrows.

The bow weighs 3.2 lbs. It's just crazy light, but still holds really steady and is dead in the hand at the shot. Definitely a great backup bow, or a primary for any hunt where a lot of walking will be required.

Screenshot_20220312-154721_Facebook.jpg

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

looking for a .357 lever action, for whatever reason they're insanely hard to find so I guess I'll be going the online route and doing an FFL transfer. Never ordered a gun online, and I'm sure I'll have to get on some waiting lists.

Anyone have any good websites they use for ordering?

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gunbroker.com is like eBay for guns. Budsgunshop has piles of stuff too. You just have to have it shipped to an FFL for proper transfer.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

thanks! I'm just clicking notify me on the ones from buds that look interesting. Figure if I just get on a bunch of lists, eventually I'll get a notification. And probably a shit load of spam.

Have a gun shop down the street that does FFL transfers real easy. Unfortunately they don't carry much in the way of lever actions.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lever guns are fun in an old school cowboy way. And if it can take 357, it can also take 38 special. They can get expensive too. I like Henry’s but they are too pretty for me.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

yup! That’s exactly why I’m looking for one. They’re fun as hell, and I have a ton of .38 spl to fuck around with, and .357 is easy to get around here for if I’m hiking or whatever. It’ll be a great gun to put in the UTV when I’m driving around.

looking specifically for a Henry .357 with the side loading gate. Or possibly a Winchester 1873. Fuck the under barrel magazine loading.

#2336 Revengeofthenerds, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  17. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a shame the new Marlins aren't coming out faster. Apparently the quality is very good with Ruger running the manufacturing process now. I think all they have is the 1895 in 45-70 at the moment, though.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

first time making an online bid, first time winning an online bid. I'm fucking floored that I found one this quickly. Especially the exact make and model I wanted

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Cool rifle, I love my Henry (Even if it's a shoulder buster)...it's a real high quality build. Let us know how the buying process goes because I have a feeling when I finally get around to getting a Raging Judge I'm going to have to go this same route.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My dad left me about a dozen lever actions when he died. The problem was that when he did die, mom gave away all the ammo right away before I had a chance to stop her.

I haven't fired any of them in years, honestly. I think it's time to dust off that shit, pay through the nose for some ammo, and find a range to go do some fun plinking.

Probably my favourite of the bunch is an old Winchester .44-40 with a short barrel. It's a great bush gun... super light, easy to carry.

The only real downside to them I find is that it's a PITA to load and unload rounds a lot... so if you load up, head out, don't shoot fuck all, come back and unload, you can put a bit of wear and tear on the rounds.