Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I put pearl grips on my baby Judge. I just had to take a picture of it with it's big brother...

judges.JPG

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I finally got to go shooting today.

First up, I fired the 45-70. It kicks. Like. A. Mule. I knew after one round I'd bruised my shoulder. But what a glorious kick it was.

Then I put a few hundred through my AK. Oh my. I love that thing, it quickly became my favorite gun ever. If you've never shot an AK, do yourself a favor and try one. Well balanced, just enough kick that you know it's got some power, and smooth as hell.

Driving home was a bit tricky shifting gears because the 45-70 really did do a number on my shoulder (And then I hammered it a couple hundred times more with the AK.) My buddy that was with me became sold on the AK after I let him put a few through it and he also got kicked (And bruised) by the 45-70.

Final diagnosis: AK47 = Pure Awesome, 45-70 = Pain (In a very good way...you know you just fired something that can put a baby sized hole in what you aimed it at.)

All in all a great day.

3. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finally secured a big, outdoor range. Even paid a little extra for access to the steel targets, no need for homemade. Didn't let the incoming thunder storm stop me from putting some .22 in the dirt. I'll be here often, if I can find the ammo.

Attached Files:

4. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Salvaged what I could of this Memorial Weekend, made it back out to try my scoped .223 on this new playground. I'd love to say I had a great time, but I was mostly frustrated at having wasted so many ammodollars. Scope is way off, couldn't hit the berm even if I wanted to.

Attached Files:

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You have a bore sight? I have one with a laser that I use to check my rifle after travelling to the hunt camp to ensure it is on point. A known distance, known ammo ballistics, and I was confident that I was bang on every time. Three times it showed me my scope was out of whack. Re-sighted the scope without firing a shot, and shot with confidence (and success) for the rest of the week.

Worth every penny, in my opinion.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do have a laser bore sight, had it in my bag the whole time and just didn't think to use it. It's worth a shot.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

they're no longer expensive by comparison. Now, if you can find ammo, a good bore sight might run you what it takes to sight it in once.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I think the ones I have only ran about $12-20, they definitely save time and ammo.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, the first "good one" I bought was around $125 if I remember right. But, seeing as I was flying in every year, it was a stupidly small cost to ensure my rifle travelled well, all things considered.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

They’re also really fun to use to mess with cats. If you’re bored

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let's try this again. After some software (advice from a shooter I know) and hardware (laser boresight, bipod) upgrades, I was able to zero the scope at 50yd; nice and consistent. Better still, my neighbor was kind enough to let me go at his steel target 250yd out, and I was consistent there too. Of course my .223 didn't ring as loud as his .308 but it still came across. Shooting is fun again.

Attached Files:

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice!

What software?

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Basically, stop shooting for the Gold, start slow and work your way up. The laser bore wasn't close to accurate, but it allowed me to at least get in the neighborhood and dial in from there. I can tell you my scope was really way off, I don't think I ever would've gotten it done aside from dumb luck.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Ahh... software as in mental game, not an actual ballistics app or something. Gotcha.

15. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got a bipod and a 9x scope, I feel like enough of a cheater already.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this is how I use bore sights. Get it on paper at 25 with the bore sight, dial it in pretty well with the scope. Then go to 50, bore sight to confirm, fire a round or two to make sure it's close enough, then go to 100 and really dial it in. Where I am, I'm rarely taking a shot past 100 yards, so that's my distance. I use the bore sight to get on paper, and don't expect anything more. Still saves me a ton of money though.

Also, shooting sticks. Those things are amazing. I have something similar to this, and it's a game changer for predator hunting especially. Fuck blinds, just post up in the brush with those and you're golden.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

19. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not guns and ammo per se, but didn't feel like double posting in the hunting thread.

I was finally able to set up a bit of a mini archery range in my backyard after clearing some small trees. Targets are at 20 and 30 yards. It's been really nice to have a 30 yard shot to practice with. Makes hitting at 20 that much easier.

Need to adjust my sight slightly to the right, but I'm pretty dialed in at the moment.

Next is figuring out how to set up a 40 yard shot while staying in my property.

20220106_161443.jpg
    20220106_162154.jpg

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You just need another 30 feet. Just set up in the hall and shoot through the bedroom window?