Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Yeah, I'm fixin' to have one of those myself.

The Walther .22 is my snake gun. Load it with rat shot and it's good to go.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

so then your 5 guns would be....

.22: snake gun
    10/22: small game, vermin
    9 mm or .40: carry/home defense
    30-06: hunting
    12 gauge: home defense/hunting

don't need a big boat if you're doubling up purposes like that. I've always liked doing the thought exercises of what you would own if you could only have 3 guns, and what order you'd buy them in, or one gun and how you'd set it up. As the saying goes, "beware of the man with one gun." And as much as I'd want to say a pump 12 because you can shoot slugs too, I think I'd go with a scoped 5.56 pistol with like a 12.5 inch barrel. Or maybe a 6.5 CM in 12.5. I have a 5.56 that's an 11.5 inch barrel, running a red dot, light, and BUIS on a single point sling, and it's really hard to beat that basic, light rig.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

One gun? I'd say I'd go with a 12 pump. It's kind of hard to knock down a duck with anything else, plus with slugs you can take down larger game, and they're a great defensive gun. Hell, just racking one definitely will get someone's attention.

Not to mention that they're just plain fun to shoot.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Easy to knock down a duck when it lands. Unethical? Sure. But if I was hunting to survive, in a situation where I only had one gun, I’d absolutely do it.

And nothing makes me giggle like a little kid more than dumping 30 rounds through an AR. Now THAT is fun!!! You can’t have a bad day after a mag dump, I don’t care what happens to you.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I ordered 100 rounds of .06 last night.

20 of the rounds are Hornady, which I have no concern about. 180 grain. I'm sure they'll kick like a mule.

The other 80 rounds however...

They're Golden Bear 145 grain. Purely range ammo, Russian manufacture, brass plate steel jacket.

It was cheap enough (About $72 for 80 rounds.) It generally has decent reviews and is sold out most other places I've checked...which means other people are buying it I guess.

Has anyone here had any experience with it?

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Two hours standing in the firearms line at Bass Pro today to do the paperwork for my .22's. I get to do it again next Saturday to pick them up and do the paper work for the .06. Joy. The girl that helped me at the counter loved my little blue Walther, my girlfriend says it's adorable. I swear I'm going to spray paint that thing.

I also finally found some CCI mini mag rounds (Apparently the Walther is very particular about what you put through it), I had to go to the CCI website. I got 1000 rounds for $100 with free shipping. I imagine the 10/22 will run whatever I feel like putting through it, which would be nice if I could find bulk ammo.

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Welp, Bass Pro made up my mind about a 12 gauge. I couldn't turn this down:

Capture.PNG

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Clean your weapon thoroughly after firing. They use corrosive primers. They also use a varnish or lacquer to protect the steel casings that can build up and gum up semi's if you routinely mag dump

9. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to sell my Glock 19 Gen 2, but now I think I'll take a chance and wait to list it the day after the election. If Biden wins, the price should just about double.

10. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Good to know, thanks. Although I doubt I'm going to mag dump a 30.06...my shoulder hurts just thinking about it.

Also, I broke down and bought another hand gun. I've mentioned before that I'm not thrilled with my Glock 23, I prefer a full size frame.

Well...I came across a sale. A Beretta APX 17+1 9mm for $359.00. So, I've now got one.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I guess I scored? I picked up 100 rounds of Hornady .30-06 180 grain for $115 from Cabela's with free shipping. At least I don't have to worry about putting that dirty Russian crap through my gun for the time being.

I also found some 9mm for my Beretta, purely range rounds, but I was happy to find it. I got 200 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 grain for $150 including shipping. I know that's way to much to pay, but there's no 9mm available right now. At least Speer is quality ammo and I doubt anyone is going to yell "Hey! You shot me with practice ammo!" if I use it defensively. It'll put a disturbing hole in someone if the need arises and that's all that matters.

Speaking of the Beretta, I did the paperwork on it a couple days ago and I'm just waiting for the background check to come back. I really dig that thing. The only negative thing I've seen about it is some people don't like the way the slide serrations look. I can live with that.

I also picked up my little blue Walther. It is adorable. Now I just need to find some rat shot. People are hording .22 LR also for some reason, I can almost understand that, but rat shot? Really?

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I picked up my Beretta and .06 yesterday. The Beretta feels awesome. Loading the magazine is a stone cold bitch though, even with the supplied "Speed loader." That 17 round spring has plenty of resistance...I got 15 in and called it good.

I was also able to get 100 rounds of actual defensive 9mm for the Beretta. It wasn't cheap. $95.54 + shipping for Norma hollow points. Damn this pandemic and all this panic buying (Which I suppose I'm part of.) At least now I have the guns I want/need and a few thousand rounds of ammo.

I do find myself wanting to add a few more guns though....

A .22 revolver (My Walther isn't going to cycle rat shot), a .44 Mag just because, and a 1911 because everyone needs a 1911. My dad had a Gov't Issue 1911 that I carried for years in my pick up. For whatever reason he left all his guns to me, except the 1911. He left that to my sister. I gained a bunch of new guns and had to give up the one I'd carried for years. I was not happy about that, so yeah...I want another 1911.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

if you’re going 44 mag, why not just whole hog it and get a 454 casull? Although if you really wanna be operator, a 10mm glock is what everyone in Alaska carries now YouTube has told me. Dirty Harry was sooooo 2019. It’s a 2020 apocalypse now and you’re just defending against it.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Fucks sake. Winchester Ready 9mm was normally about $15 for a box of 50 before all this bullshit started. Cheaper than Dirt sent me an e-mail yesterday offering it for $59.89 for a box of 50.

SGAmmo had it for $27.95 (Limit 4), so I bought 4 and almost felt good about paying almost double what it would've been a few months ago. Oh yeah...they sold out quickly too.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Seems like a good deal, nyet?

Capture.PNG

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

prices will go back down. I wouldn’t touch anything that isn’t in a brass case unless you wanna do a shitload of cleaning.

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Heh....I wouldn't put that crap through my gun on a bet.

I've managed to scavenge 700 rounds of decent 9mm, so I'm not desperate.

20. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to buy 9mm for less than 25 cents a round and this was for brass case Winchester "White Box" a pretty good target round. I agree with ROTN that prices will come back down and supplies will get better. I have enough practice rounds in stock to ride out this shortage. I have shot steel cased ammunition before and will not do it any longer.

As far as "self defense" rounds, I have about 50 rounds for the 9mm and 50 rounds for the 45. If that is not enough, then I guess I will just use the target rounds. They should work just fine.