Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

It’s basically a bare-bones gun that’s reliable as anything on the market. If you want a comparison you’d have to look at like the ak47 as far as reliability goes. Looks like hell (in my opinion, as a Glock owner and lover) but goes bang every time you pull the trigger and is more consistent than you’ll ever be accurate. You cannot out-shoot it. Plus the safety mechanisms in place, as long as you don’t put your booger hook on the bang button it will. Not. Go. Off.

In my opinion, as a g19 gen 5 owner, the grip, trigger and sights absolutely suck. I can live with the trigger because it’s bad but you get used to it, can’t with the sights or grip. I immediately put on some night sights — all black rear and red front — and a TalonGrip (Amazon). Solved it 100 percent. If you don’t carry, there are a thousand options to improve the trigger. If you do carry, in my non-lawyer opinion I’d recommend staying very far away from doing anything to your trigger or internals. But imo the sights and grips are a must to make it functional. And that’s the main issue with glocks: you need to customize them a bit to make them fit you. And for a gun that expensive, you really shouldn’t have to. Good thing is there is a massive secondary market for glock customization. People do some crazy stuff with them.

As far as how it compares, the 17 is basically a larger 19. 19 is more for concealed carry, 17 is more of a duty weapon. That’s really the only difference.

You got yourself a fantastic handgun there. Enjoy it. I don’t know how many firearms I own offhand, well over a dozen, but my g19 is easily my favorite.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Colt Python rereleased and HK making an MP5 for the consumer market. What a time to be alive.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck. Yes.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Browning just got a permanent customer.

Spent forever trying to track down a magazine cap sling mount for my new A5 shotgun. Beautiful firearm, didn't want to drill any mounts into it. Couldn't find anyone who made one, not even listed for sale by browning. Called their parts department and they just came out with one that's on backorder. Took my info and without asking they're sending it to me for free. About a $30-40 part plus shipping, no questions asked.

And that's how you do customer service.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Just got a p365. I'm absolutely floored. Best trigger of any of the firearms I own, best stock trigger I've ever felt. It breaks crisp right at 90 degrees which is huge and I'm surprised other handguns don't break at that point. With 12+1 capacity in something smaller and lighter than the 43x, I don't know how they did it. Also love the factory grip and night sights it comes with.

My thinking was, it's more expensive than the 43x and 26, but in order to get a glock where I'd want it I'd need to upgrade the sights and grip, plus their trigger sucks. So you're basically at the same price at that point anyway. And ideally, with a carry handgun, you'd want to keep it completely stock because of potential legalities in a (knock on wood) defensive handgun use anyway. Any gun I'm carrying on me outside of our ranch, I'm not changing from stock trigger. That's a prosecutor's wet dream.

I don't know how they did it. I mean I know they designed the magazine first and then built a gun around that, but it still amazes me how many features they were able to fit into such a tiny package. That's what she said.

6. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I shoot better with my P365 than my G19. I still don't know what the difference is, but I'm seriously considering trading my 19 for a P365 XL.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Lower bore axis and fit in the hand I'd imagine. Those two differences, however tiny, can make a HUGE difference. Especially when you're talking pistols, where recoil management is the name of the game. And the smaller and lighter the pistol, the more dramatic those tiny differences become. Then figure in the ability to carry 15 rounds and the platform basically makes the g19 obsolete if you shoot better with it.

I'm thinking about adding a TLR-6 light to mine. Both for practical use (armadillo and vermin control around the house), and to balance it out a little more. Not that it's imbalanced per se, but a little extra weight up front never hurt anyone. Especially if it's useful weight. I'm waiting to shoot it first though. Haven't yet.

My g19 is a damn tack driver, so not sure how much more I can improve on my pistol shooting with the p365. But it fits in my hand better, and feels more balanced, so I anticipate some fun results. My brother in law's g43 is so damn snappy that trying to hit anything smaller than a water jug beyond 5 yards is a waste of time and ammo. Perfectly acceptable distance for self defense. But if you plan to also carry it offensively against vermin like I do -- I've lost track of the number of hogs I've shot while mowing my lawn -- then you need something that can reach out a little further and that you're confident with. I was absolutely not a sig fan before I held the p365. It's a game changer.

8. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As well as I can shoot a P365 the lack of any safety doohickey on the trigger besides a manual external safety makes me question it. That lil lever on a Glock or Walther or what Smith does still makes me sleep better at night, so to speak. I really like the night sights from the factory, man the capacity/size is impressive. I'm still sticking with a Smith or Glock. Want a laugh? The Colt Python that arrived in the shop immediately shit the bed. It would lock up if you just pulled the trigger slowly. Fit and finish was a joke for what they used to be.

I've been working part time at a gun shop for the past two years and basically spend the rest of my time doing gun stock stuff. I also do stock work for the shop besides whatever else I'm doing. This has enabled me to shoot a ridiculous amount of guns and buy too many while I'm at it.

Out of everything I've picked up from there this may be my favorite yet, a 1926 A.H. Fox Sterlingworth 16ga. with old school 2 5/8" chambers. I really enjoyed carrying it around last fall and brought home a few doves and a pheasant with it. I bought it for the shop from an old timer who aged out of upland hunting and as soon as it came out of the case I knew it was going to be mine. Made a fair deal for both of us.

On my bench near completion is a stock for a .375 H&H that I can't wait to shoot. This is my first time doing something besides a traditional point pattern checkering-wise.

Rest of the thing before checkering. Reallly nice stick of walnut.

Okay fuck Imgur links right now, the pics were way too big. More to come.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

So I didn't even notice the p365 didn't have that trigger thingy until you mentioned it.

It used to weird me out that there wasn't an external safety on the glocks until I just got used to it and thought about it logically. By the time I got my p365 I didn't even care, since I'd be carrying it with the safety "off" anyway. Really, how many times does your finger hit the trigger, or even come down inside the guard when you aren't in the process of shooting? Having my trigger finger pointing down along the slide has to be one of the most ingrained pieces of muscle memory I have. Even handling a firearm with the slide back and locked, magazine out etc. you never touch that trigger.... which brings up one of the main reasons I LIKE the p365: you don't have to pull the trigger to field strip it. You do with glocks.

A few years ago, I was cleaning my taurus and a round got stuck in the chamber when I thought it was clear. Guess what happened when I pulled the trigger to remove the slide?

Nothing like a little muzzle flash burn on your palm to scare the shit outta you. I guess that's the benefit of always pointing it in a safe direction even when cleaning, but damn. First part of the field strip always got to me until I started shooting my sig almost exclusively.

But yeah, you just gotta get used to it. Like how I imagine it is for people who carry appendix. That's the hot new thing right now, but it never felt comfortable to me and I didn't like the idea of potentially getting into a car wreck and sending a firearm through my pelvis. Put some people are real squeamish about anything pointing toward their junk or femoral arteries. They say you get used to it.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure Ruger recalled a lot of pistols without that trigger safety. Mine has it, but I got the recall letter with instructions for getting the new trigger installed.

Yeah, that doesn't look comfortable to me at all. Guess I could give it a try and go for a drive, just to see for myself.

I'm I'm actually looking for a cross draw holster for carrying when there will be a long car ride.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welcome back. You should snap up that Python and sell it on Gun Broker. That shit blows my mind. I see the new 2020 ones going for 4k+. The originals are down about 250-500 dollars from when I was looking for them last year. You can get a nice shooter for 2000. The hate for the new one, even before Hickok45 and that other youtube yahoo and before anyone had their hands on it, from other brand fanbois and "classic Python" owners was unreal. Colt has released a solution to the cylinder lock up. There is a loose screw in the cocking mechanism.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I keep mine at 3 o'clock and it feels super comfortable, seat belt keeps it from riding up. Less handling of it too that way. Works great in a regular old concealment express. Hell I've forgotten it's on me sometimes.

I could see where it'd be uncomfortable if you were running it farther back and leaning on it. That'd fucking hurt my back. But if that's the case maybe just slide it forward?

13. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't have to pull the trigger to strip a Smith & Wesson either. Yup even with mindful (and minimal) gun handling and a good holster I prefer something on the trigger when it is that light. Double actions are a different story.

The new Python has a QR code visible on the frame and laser cut checkering. Gross. I'm not even a Colt guy, man that just let me down. You still have Old Colt guys trying to consign their stuff for what it was going for several years ago at the same time. Just a weird deal.

Basic refinishing jobs pay my bills and I welcome all the work, but here's some more fun projects from the past year: .375 H&H stock. I started with a rough old semi-carved stock, note the repairs I had to make around the bolt notch and ejection port from whoever roughed it out. First time I had to reinforce a stock with crossbolts. Brno Model 1 .22 stock. Started with an existing custom stock and I reshaped it, added the ebony grip cap, made a buttplate out of buffalo horn, reshaped and reblued the trigger guard, and cut a fun wraparound point pattern. Ruger Mark IV 22/45 grips made from cherry, all work done by hand including drilling holes and the ebony inlays. Remington 541-T stock refinished and recut with macassar ebony and another buffalo horn buttplate. I am doing a lot more checkering now and want to keep building up my name in that niche.

No work done on it yet but here's my Fox 16ga. Built on a 20ga frame so it carries like a feather. I'm hand-rolling lighter 2 1/2" loads for it (because 94 years old) and its entirely worth the trouble. Of course I took it out for late season hunts too.

Last but not least working at the gun shop has allowed me to dramatically upgrade my glass situation. My Model 70 now wears a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BRX and my backup rifle (a Mark X .25-06) has a Vortex HDLH 3-15. Talley steel rings/bases because I can. I shot a doe at 230 yards last November with the Z5 at 10x and it felt like a chip shot, the clarity and light gathering is on another level. I call the .25-06 "Van Camo" and yes the paint job was inspired by the Frankenstrat. Some day that rifle will have a nice walnut stock too, until then I don't care.

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I carry at 3, too, in the same holster. But I carry a bigger pistol. It's comfortable, more comfortable in my truck than the wife's car because of the bigger seats. I'm just thinking about trying a cross draw for travel, I think drawing from that position, seated in the vehicle, would be quicker.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I love my galco IWB, and they make some really slick cross draw ones worth checking out.

16. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry, I have to go back to this. I'm not picking on you, I just want to point this out as a public service. It's not that the round got stuck in the chamber; you didn't check to be sure the chamber was clear. Whatever the events were that led up to your thinking that the chamber was empty is irrelevant. The simple fact is that you didn't rack the slide and check that there was no round present before you pulled the trigger. We can debate manual safeties and trigger levers and whatever else, but no mechanism can replace basic safe practices. If you have a semi-auto, open it up and look inside to be sure it's empty. Cycling the action until nothing comes out is not enough.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Welp, 3 weeks back in Idaho and I had to buy a gun. A buddy had a brand new Glock 23 and gave me a good deal.It was either that or a Ruger .44 and I really didn't want a revolver, although I would've much rather had a full frame. Oh well, if I ever decide I want to carry it'll be good to have.

EDIT: Added pic

DSC00077.JPG

#2097 toytoy88, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

I finally broke down and bought a Ruger 10/22 because....I don't know why. It just seemed like the thing to do.

I had no idea those things were that expensive...I got it on sale for $250.

....and then I figured out the ammo shortage includes .22 ammo, It's not as hard as finding .40 ( I stocked up 500 rounds for my Glock), but it's slim pickings. At least I don't have a .380, all of that seems to be out of stock.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

the 10/22 is an awesome gun man, congrats! It’s amazing fun, especially if you have somewhere to shoot it frequently. .22 ammo will be back, and it’s easy to load up when it is. A few cheap bricks at 500 rounds each and you’re sitting pretty for a long time.

I didn’t get the takedown model, wish I did. Kept the stock wooden stock because I like the looks of it, and those iron flip up are dead accurate. The 10/22 is like an AR though as far as modifications for it. Another one of those adult LEGO’s, you can trick it out and make it as fancy as you want it to be. You’ll be grateful you have it though when you eventually move to your property.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That's what pushed me over the edge to buy one. Sadly, it looks like the 25 round clips for them are no longer available (At least that I've been able to see.) I'm not exactly sure what I'll do to it, but I know me and I can't leave anything just as it is...

I briefly considered the take down model, but I had a hard enough time justifying the $250 for the 1103. The take down was like $200 more. That's a lot of money for a .22.

But then again, I'm seriously considering buy a Walther PPQ. Those things just look like a lot of fun.

EDIT: Accidentally put the 9mm PPQ video at first

#2100 toytoy88, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020