Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Looks like fun... what kind of distance were you shooting from?

2. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m going to say 30 yards, but that’s an estimate. I’m not that knowledgeable, but the targets were at the far back of the range.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When a subconsultant gives you a BassPro gift card for $100 and a contractor gives you a gift card for $100, you go and buy a Ruger LCP. Holy crap this thing is light. I really like it. I have pretty big hands - long fingers, but not meaty - and it feels good with the finger grip extension plate on. I've been carrying it in my front pocket in the little included sleeve holster. It barely weighs more than my cell phone. I haven't shot it yet, though. Will report back.

4. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

LCP is a decent gun. The one I have is a little picky with ammo. It doesn't like Blazer at all, but doesn't have any issues I've found with brass or defensive loads.

I imagine it would probably be fine with cheap ammo if I polished the feed ramp and things like that, but I've found ammo it likes so I don't really care.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good to know. I have all the .380 ammo I can ever shoot. It's law enforcement grade (Winchester), and I've never had trouble with it in my other two .380s.

6. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

First handgun of my own, a Sig P365. CCW app is pending.

Attached Files:

• P365.jpg
      P365.jpg
      File size:
      525.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What everyone's thoughts on Liberty safes? Im in the market for a new one, mainly for firearms and storing birth certificates, social security cards, etc.

8. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have one and I haven't had any issues, however I recommend checking out the safe review link I previously posted:

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If that's the case, be sure to get a fire-rated safe, not just a security rated one. Fire rated means it can be in the middle of a raging inferno for X mins/hours without letting heat inside get to the point that it will damage the paperwork.

Can't speak to the specific manufacturer, but be aware that a lot of cheap safes are NOT fire rated.

Personally, I got a hold of an old government fire-rated file cabinet (really thick locking drawers) that I store all my paperwork in... it's heavy as fuck, but was super cheap at an auction years ago. (I also use it to store my ammo in, while keeping my guns in a cheap "security only" safe).

They're expensive as hell, but a used one might be available for cheap: https://www.safefile.com/fireking-2-2131-c-2-drawer-legal.html

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

If you're storing firearms in it and hope to get to those firearms in a quick manner (like a potential home invasion), don't do one of those biometric safes. They look cool until your hands are wet/sweaty and they won't read properly.

Like Nett said, if you intend to store documents in it, make sure it is fire-rated. Or store your documents in a separate safe or cabinet that is fire-rated.

With the guns vs. the documents, you're potentially looking at two different types of storage, and it might be cheaper for you to store them in two different types of safe.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im going to get a quick-access safe for my closet at some point. This one will be in the basement for storage of a handful of rifles and some handguns along with documents. Not something I need to get to during a home invasion. I sold all my guns to my dad a few years ago because I didnt have a safe place to put them when I lived in an apartment. Now that i have a house, Im going to buy them back.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Finally got myself some decent glass for my AR-10. Not high end, but I'm a cheap ass so $340 for the scope + mount really hurt. Primary Arms 4-14X44, illuminated reticle. PA's stuff has really started to compete with the big boys, and now budget doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Figured now that I have the last rifle I'll ever need (308, 22 inch barrel, perfect for anything in north america), might as well buy once and cry once with the scope too.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

In the market for a sub-compact 9mm to daily carry. Figured I'd get some opinions from the board; I trust y'all a bit more than I do every idiot with a pay per click gig online. I currently run a glock 19, which I LOVE but I've lost quite a bit of weight since I first got it so now I'd have to dress around it during summer (Texas) weather, which would look a little funky for a skinny dude with a baggy shirt required to conceal the thing. The obvious choice would be to go with a glock 43 or 26, since I'm already so comfortable with the glock platform, but I'd like to not tie myself to one manufacturer when there are so many good options available. Just train heavily and you'll become familiar with anything.

15. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

See my post above, back on Saint Paddy's Day. I'm definitely happy with my Sig P365.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really love the feel of my HK P30sk. I bought it to get my ccw but havent gotten around to getting that. They have extended 13 round mags that aren't bank breaking. It seems HK has decided to not hate the US market anymore. They lowered prices on most of their pistol lines and actually brought a HK made civilian MP5 to market (hopefully they ship enough so it isn't perpetually sold through gun broker by gun shops wanting auction prices).

17. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually only carry full frame but on days in the summer I put a Kel Tec PF9 in a sticky holster and run that, it’s small and will run +P ammo, easy to conceal.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

One of the ones I'm seriously looking at. With the P365, the ammo capacity is definitely a plus. Not having to change mags as often when you're training, and on more than a few occasions I've encountered hogs on our property before I had time to change from my CCW to my full frame.

I love my G19, but I don't like that you have to change a bunch of stuff with glocks just to make them feel good. Especially on a gun you're going to carry concealed, if worse came to worse you're gonna have to defend yourself in court against each one of those modifications. I want something that's ready to go out of the box.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Xmas present surprise of a semi-auto shotgun. It was gonna be a browning “sweet 16” 16 gauge but I don’t feel like paying 50 cents a shot so now I’m trying to hunt down a Browning A-5 12 gauge. Love the look and history, love the inertia system more.

the sub compact 9 will wait until my annual raise bonus money in a month or so. I’m happy with that trade off.

20. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I picked up my first full frame pistol the other day, a Glock 17. I took it to the range the next day and, well, I need to get better. But it's not like I'm going to have to shoot at anything long distance, I suppose...

How does the G17 compare to the G19 and other full size 9mm handguns, for those of you with a bigger collection?