Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’ll end up with the Canik, a man can dream though.

My buddy and his wife are hardcore Glock fans, they do shoot nicely, have you seen the ZEV 34 Glocks?

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I haven’t shot one so I can’t really judge. But as I said a few posts above regarding my worries about the potential legal ramifications, I prefer my defensive handguns to be as stock as possible.

Maybe law school made me paranoid. Maybe the current political environment made me paranoid. Either way, I like to hedge my bets. If I can shoot “minutes of bad guy” with stock, I like to keep it that way.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I look at them more like art pieces, from that perspective I can appreciate them.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Yeah an art piece is different from something you carry on you every day and hope to one day never have to trust your life to.

I'd like an art piece handgun one day. In my neck of the woods they call them "BBQ pistols," something to show off. I'd like a 1911 specifically, I think they're beautiful.

But when it comes to something that I might heaven forbid someday trust my life to? I'm hedging my bets, and I'll go with a stock glock. It isn't pretty under even beer goggles, but I bet you my life that it'll go bang if I deploy it when me or my or family have our lives threatened.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I know there's at least a few people on here who carry, and I just watched one of the better videos I've seen on the subject. Figured I'd share (anything by this guy is gold though).

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, he's got a few of the "Raw Clint" videos that are somewhat interesting...

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can actually renew your firearms licence online now. So much easier then before.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah... except I let mine expire for too long and have to go into the local cop shop to renew in person.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I kind of forgot my was due up on Monday my birthday, so I was like shit lets get this going. And looked online for the forms I had to print out and file to send away. And I was like wow online and done.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think if it's more than 2 years (which mine is) then you can't do the online thing. My own fault... totally forgot about it because I haven't really been shooting/hunting in a couple of years since my dad died. Am getting back into it this winter, so started going through the checklist to get ready.

Step 1: dig out PAL. Damn.

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, I haven't really shot in a long time. Used to do target pistol, then I ended up moving and didn't have my press set up. Bought a rifle just before I moved and same thing just sitting in the safe. I hope to have my shop to were I can have mostly everything I want done this winter.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, one of the "winter projects" I have lined up is to go through the arsenal and do whatever maintenance/cleaning is required, including some shooting.

Already joined the local range, and now it's just a matter of making some time to get out there. (after I get my PAL renewed)

I inherited a dozen old lever-action rifles from dad, so now I'm just going through and cleaning them up and sourcing some ammo for them, and hope to run a box or two through each in short order.

I'm also wanting to get into some trap/skeet shooting so am looking for a sporting clay gun. (The last time I went and used the trusty Wingmaster I learned that those shooting with you don't appreciate pump actions standing beside them... go figure). I've got a line on a nice Beretta over/under (690 sporting black) that is practically still new in box, so here's hoping.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

O/U are perfect for skeet.

870s are perfect for everything else.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My dad got really into skeet and sporting clays before he got sick. I inherited all the different guns he went through - several different Berettas, Browning Gold Sporting Clays, and Weatherbys. I also have a couple Remington 1100s, 1187 and a Winchester Ranger. I've shot some of others at clays, like an 870, my Mossberg pump, and a Model 12. I don't own, but have shot a Benelli and multiple other 12s and 20s. Some of the ones I have or have shot are backbored and ported, cut down, stock adjusted, and other manner of custom changes.

Hands down, without question, my favorite (and best shooting for me) is my Weatherby Orion, right out of the box, with IC chokes screwed in. All that is to say, that 690 is a great gun, but if it doesn't suit you, you may want something else. If you can go to a range / course and shoot their guns, and find out which ones are stock, you might learn more about length of pull and balance that points you to another gun. (Or you may have already done that, and why you've got your eye on it.) Ymmv

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Thanks for the info... the only reason I'm onto the 690 is that a friend of my mom's lost her husband and is selling his 690 that he bought a few years ago but hardly used. She's looking for $1,500 for it, which is below half price.

That Weatherby is under $900 brand new... I'll have to look at it for sure.

Bass Pro in Vaughn has an indoor range where you can shoot anything before you buy, so I'll probably head up there in the next few weeks and give it a go.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

When I was in my 20's, I was doing some computer-based graphic design (ad building) for a newspaper. All of my friends were getting the typical barbed wire and steer skull tattoos, but I hate needles.

They pressured me into getting a tattoo, so I did... it cost me all of $25, and it was a full-coloured Apple Computer logo.

[​IMG]

That was my first tattoo... and it is small enough that a dime will cover it.

No Ragrats.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, as the many reps pointed out, drunk and posted in the wrong thread.

I'll allow it.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

No ragrats.

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m pretty happy with this. I don’t own a gun, but I’ve shot with friends once or twice a year over the last few years. Went to the range with friends yesterday and used the pistol range. Middle and upper right are 9mm with red dot sight. Lower right is a .22 with iron sights. Left lower and upper are 9mm Beretta with iron sights.

I don’t think that’s bad for someone with relatively no skill level and Bourbon shakes.

B20B6C74-93E1-470E-AEC9-67F091FC200F.jpeg