Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Guns and Ammo Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ILikePie, Oct 20, 2009.

1. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Never!

I actually had a co-worker, that-I-don't-know-nearly-that-well, make that same joke. I expect that kind of dark humor (humour?) here - I welcome it.

But this dude can straight fuck off.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Google indoor gun ranges. You’d be surprised how many there are.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

4. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[​IMG]

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Wife decided to let me get a (VERY) early 30th bday gift, since we're kinda thinking now is the time to buy low on guns.

Came home from the local gun show with a custom-built AR-10 (308/ 7.62 NATO), 22'' stainless steel floated barrel, aero precision upper and lower.

Wanted something heavier than my 5.56 so I could just blast through the hogs' shoulders and anchor them that way. The 308 is a damn good deer round too, and the rifle will never leave me wanting for more.

6. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Nice!

I just placed my order for the Vortex Red Dot I mentioned earlier and Flip Up sights. My choice after I get this rig set up is to either sporterize the Mosin Nagant that's still at my brother-in-law's house (since the flood) or to build an AR-10. I also have the SKS that I've kind-of,sort-of thought about adding a scope to.

My wife isn't going to like the next few months at all.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I seriously thought about getting an SKS, but at the end of the day what I'd save per round is negligible to me when you compare the down-range capabilities of the 7.62x39 to the 308. Plus with my 5.56 and 10/22 I'd already have my "cheap ammo" guns.

Fired a few rounds through it today and I was impressed. It's so much heavier, that the weapon absorbs the recoil a lot better than I anticipated. The felt recoil is only slightly more than my much lighter 5.56, and much lower than my bolt action .243. With the nice muzzle break on the end, it doesn't rise up much even when shooting off hand so follow ups are going to be a lot quicker.

I have a set of nice open sights already on 45 degree angle mounts, so I'm gonna put those on the AR-10 as a backup. Got a spare scope with illuminated crosshairs that should work well enough. Just ordered a cheap green flashlight to put in a flashlight mount I have. All I need now is a bipod and to figure out how to attach a sling (there are no obvious points on the stock).

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

The hot brass incident at 3:20 might be the funniest shit I've seen in a while.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Figured I needed to post pictures of my new baby.

3081.jpg
    3082.jpeg

And yes, I know that in theory having the laser on the side of the scope, as well as the light by the bipod (it's a green light for hogs) could throw off the balance, but thus far I can't tell any difference.

#1989 Revengeofthenerds, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy who said, "hahah- SAFETY! Fuck!" when his girl pointed the gun at him? You could almost here him piss himself.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

His dick is doing his thinking for him, 100%.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Very nice, man! Here's hoping you bought it here:

[​IMG]

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

It was a VERY early 30th bday gift from my wife actually. I was given a budget and found a penny worth a dollar I guess. We think that with the stuff in the media right now gun prices are going to go up by the time I actually turn 30 (july). $890 out the door. Put another $150 into it for the grip, bipod, and scope (again, went cheap, but at the sub-150 yd ranges I don't need high end). It's a $2k rifle all day but the guy I got it from builds them as his retirement hobby and his wife just wants him to get a little cash on the side.

Sighted it in and got a little tighter than a 1'' MOA at 100 yards with 5 rounds. Good enough for me.

14. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Damn, that's nice. And being all in for a little over $1000 is pretty sweet.

I got my red dot and flip up sights in, just need to go shoot. The weather has been shit the past week and will be for the next few days. Hopefully in the next couple of weekends I'll get a chance to sight it in.

15. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't understand... have these people never watched an action movie? Played with green army men? Just THAT should be enough to give them an idea of the correct posture, at least point them in the right direction (gun intended). But these people are horrible.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Here's a video about ammo... some freakishly cool ammo.

As in tracers that are only visible to the shooter.

Go to 6:00 for a quick look at them in action.

17. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I guess Remington is going out of business. They timed their announcement to coincide with the Marches, I guess to deflect the blame, but from my brief googling I guess their products have tended to suck lately? Did I see one of you post about that earlier in this thread?

Guess I should count myself lucky I never pulled the trigger on that 783 I wanted.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're not going out of business, yet. They'll stay in business while they restructure the debt.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They've been going down hill for years. They got bought buy a larger company, drastically trimmed down their QA process and the overall quality went with it. They're nicknamed Rustington for a reason.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The media is definitely portraying it as some sort of victory for the March movement. I just roll my eyes. Colts another firearm manufacturer that has had shit poor management in the last 2 decades.