Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Great Scott!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by scotchcrotch, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is that what you do? Go on a fan thread and tear it to pieces even after someone states their reasons for liking it?

There is no pleasing you, even if we tried, because you just want to rebuke every reason because it's a fucking opinion. Nostalgia and teen relatability don't please you. The truth is you can continue to spin this shit at every answer for whatever reasons you have- attention, superiority complex, etc.

Not every movie has to be an independent that 10 people saw in Russia. But you sure like to let people know how many you've seen.

The thing is, you admit it's a good movie. You're just fucking with people and instigating for the sake of it. This bullshit could continue for another 10 pages, because there isn't a difinitive answer.

I guess Wilson has a "career", but again, you're prolonging this argument for the sake of it. His career isn't comparable to the rest of the cast, and according to IMDB, he's been doing voice work as Biff for BTTF video games in recent years. So he's still living off the Biff character while making fun of fans in the process. I would consider that an asshole move.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im sure Tom Wilson would be first in line if they decided to make a BTTF 4. If he hated being Biff Tannen so much, maybe he shouldnt have done:

Back to the Future: The Ride

The animated version of his character

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_the_Future:_The_Animated_Series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_th ... ted_Series</a>

Sure doesnt seem hes unappreciative, It seems like hes milking it for all its worth, and who wouldnt?

The answer is, its not that its family-friendly, or thats it quotable; many shit movies are quotable. The characters are enjoyable to watch and you genuinely care about what happens to them. Its a uncomplicated story and has a charming and humorous aspect to it. The movie doesnt show its age as much as other movies from that era, which would make it dated. Yes, its an 80s movie, but if someone where to ask you to list some classic 80s movies, would Back to the Future come up on that list? Probably not. You would list Ferris Buellers Day Off, Breakfast Club, and many others like that (not necessarily by John Hughes). I would argue people like it because it doesnt feel nostalgic.

Okay then, so what about its quality is disproportional to the praise it gets? (Besides the fact that its not from Asia)

#42 Juice, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I never come to this part of the board, now I see why. This shit is just stupid. All of you enough. Be done.

4. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Yeah, my friend takes his BTTF fanboydom too far.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the hoopla boils down to two things:

1) The movie, for whatever reason, is infinitely rewatchable. And I mean infinitely.
    2) The movie has been aired roughly once a day on TNT since late 1987.

6. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Before you piss your panties in rage, try actually reading what has been written.

I haven't said a single negative thing about "Back to the Future", but rather that it's "very good", and highly rewatchable, enjoyable, and quotable. However, I was questioning why this film attracts such fandom, and not some of the Hollywood action comedies in that same era.

In other words, what makes it not just good, but special?

Shit, I wasn't aware that "Ghostbusters, The Blues Brothers, Clue, Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, Midnight Run (a real masterpiece), The Naked Gun, even Tango and Cash" were each "an independent that 10 people saw in Russia".

Listen, if you want to act like a 13 year old-girl upset that some "elitist critic" besmirched her beloved Twilight series, go afuckinghead.

I was just thinking there would be some people interested in discussing "Back to the Future" beyond "I LIKE IT BECAUSE I DO!" and quoting random lines.

All of those jobs were 17 years ago! The animated series was in 1993, three years after the completion of BTF3.

You don't think people change? That they don't get tired of being associated with a role they were once thrilled with? I'm sure that in 1993, Thomas Wilson figured he would have an actual movie career. He was wrong; it never materialized.

Maybe he felt, rightly or wrongly, that the trilogy typecast him in peoples' mind as a goofy comic villain, and not as a serious actor.

Maybe he just wants to move on from being known as "Biff Tannen", and thus, doesn't want to do some dopey reunion show.

"Uncomplicated story". "Charming and humorous". "Characters are enjoyable to watch". All of those are true about "Back to the Future".

They're also true about every one of the films I named above; "Ghostbusters, The Blues Brothers, Clue, Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, Midnight Run (a real masterpiece), The Naked Gun, even Tango and Cash" Hell, those were all made in the same era!

So again; what's the distinguishing factor? Why is Back to the Future the one that inspires such tremendous fandom?

Try ABSOLUTELY YES. "Back to the Future" is a quintessential 80's movie, which, among other things, shows how much the culture had changed since the 50s. (Complete with advertisements galore, a fairly new thing in movies at the time)

If you're going to attempt an insult, at least make it loosely realistic, and don't copy what someone above you wrote. Like "besides the fact that its (sic) not from the 70s".

Before I knew about the fandom associated with BTF, here was my review;

"A very funny, fast-paced action adventure film. The premise is decent, and the script just average, but the actors all do an excellent job of portraying their characters, and no scene or line ever feels truly weak. Add an outstanding, energetic soundtrack, some hilarious, memorable lines, and you have a much beloved, highly rewatchable blockbuster. Is it a little overrated these days? Sure. Is it still a very good, wonderfully entertaining picture? Yes."

It's a pure entertainment picture, but just not as inventive, clever, subversive, original, or funny as some of the other ones, even in its own time. That is, not a single element about it was GREAT, just good.

Take "Ghostbusters", for example. That was an unusual, exciting premise for film. It had a great comedy script. There was non-stop laughter, and it was rarely predictable, right up until the Marshmallow Man at the end.

I can totally understand why it's such a classic with so many fans.

Or "Beverly Hills Cop", because of Eddie Murphy's perfect performance for that role. Or "Blues Brothers", because of the unusual characters, mix of music with action and comedy, and wonderful execution by John Landis. "48 Hours" was the first in a brand new genre, and did it the best; the "mismatched buddy cop" film.

"Back to the Future"? I guess it was just a very good film that also hit the right demographics and nostalgia points.

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First of all I never said nor gave any sort of inclination towards filthy rich. I will however bet that he has made a ton more than an average american and a large part of that is due to his role in Back To The Future. You don't think he strung together a decent living with appearences and voice overs?

Aside from him his voice overs he is a stand up comic. Know what three quarters of his routine is? Biff jokes. I saw him in Atlantic City six or seven years ago and enjoyed all the Biff jokes. The only reason he was given the job was because he was Tom Wilson from BTTF. I'm also pretty sure a lot of the voice overs he got was because the people who did the hiring recognized his voice from, guess where? I would be willing to bet he has been the voice of quite a few cartoon bully's as well.

It's for that I think he should be grateful. He built an entire career of being Biff. Had he not been Biff I doubt he would have gotten as many voice overs and can guaruntee his comedy wouldn't have gone anywhere because it revolves around him being Biff. I was very clear in my post I don't think he owes anyone anything, and Harry Coolahan actually made a good point in saying how he probably would not want another generation recognizing him as Biff but when he does not show up for things like this it look's like sour grapes.

Despite Glover's problem I'm guessing Wilson was paid anywhere from 300-600k for the third film (if not more) and you don't think he should be grateful? You think his amazing talent would have had him cast somewhere else or do anything else to make that kind of money? I doubt it, he could be some kind of genius that may have ran a dotcom. company I don't know, but as an actor he should be grateful for the money he made and the doors it opened.

EDIT**** I posted this before I read your previous post. Not sure why all the rocks are being thrown at you about the film, but for your defense of Biff you deserve it. Kidding of course, it is kind of an age old argument. Guys like Mark Hamil, Ralph Machio, all complain about being type cast. However if you are talented enough you can break out no matter how much people just want to see you as Biff, clearly Wilson was not talented enough. Either that or he was so fucking good at being a bully he could never get away from it. I would like to see his earnings for the three films, if they are what I think they are he should be grateful.

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, with that being the case, I stand corrected. If he is still living off the Biff character, even as a stand-up comedy routine, it's definitely stranger that he declined the reunion offer.

Very true, but don't you think he ever gets sick of it? Perhaps Wilson's thinking is that if he wasn't Biff from BTTF, that maybe he would have gotten his break elsewhere? And in a less one-dimensional role?

There are a lot of love-hate relationships between actors and a famous character they brought to life.

See, I disagree with this belief, although it's a common one. The idea is that athletes and actors "owe us something", because it's fans that pay their salary.

That's mostly true when it comes to their actual professional work. However, I don't think it applies to unpaid, tortuously boring celebrity appearances where some dolled-up news anchor who likely couldn't give a fuck less about "Back to the Future" or any other movie for that matter asks retarded and irrelevant questions about the franchise.

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See it's not "us" that he owes. I guess that is where we are off point, I think it looks shitty to his fellow cast mates that he didn't show up. While I agree with you on being surprised that this film was being honored in a reunion show it seems like the cast would recognize they were part of something special and show up. I would just think he might suck it up and go out with everyone for one last hurrah. I do see them kind of a "team" for better or worst. Of course he could be quite jaded, he doesn't want some stupid talk show host asking him to say "hello McFly" I get it but I would think he would be a good sport and do it. Bottom line being in the film HAD to result in more positive things in his life than negative.

Now, I must retire. I have had an actual debate on the character that played Biff in BTTF, for that I am a tad humiliated.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You keep answering your own question. I'd say the majority of people would disagree "that not a single element of the movie is great, just good." Jesus, the films score is probably one of the most memorable of any films right up there with the Imperial March or Jaws. But you see my last sentence? It's a fucking opinion. Something no amount of arguing, from a film snob, or any internet lacky is going to change in my mind. Just like none of us will EVER convince you that this film isn't over rated.

"SLACKER!!!!"

"Roads?! Where we are going we don't need roads!"

11. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, my post was an opinion. And I am asking for an OPINION, too; what is so special about it relative to other mainstream Hollywood action comedies of that period? Most self-professed Back To the Future fanboys haven't even tried to repsond, although one would think they would love an opportunity to discuss the picture's merits.

I'm not asking for an argument about whether it is or isn't overrated either, which is besides the point. I am asking what YOU personally see in it. It's okay to say "I watched it on TNT a million times as a kid! It was just a very good film that was always on!"

And if it's the music, fine. That's a hard point to argue, especially as it's one of the strongest elements of the picture.

Apparently though, a lot of people would rather these topics be unfunny circle jerks than any kind of real or interesting discussion.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think we've repeatedly listed what we've thought was great about the film, what is left to contemplate? But honestly the type of discussion you are trying to have always goes in circles, turns everyone into petty name callers, and ultimately changes no ones minds about anything. It's the nature of message boards. That's why I'd take a circle jerk with endless quoting and e-high fiving over them any day...

edit: For the record Im not against intelligent discourse but your arguments here are the poorest Ive seen from an otherwise exemplary poster.

13. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So far, I have only seen and agreed with "music". I have seen some other reasons like "uncomplicated", which are hardly flattering, and things like "humorous", which doesn't say much by itself, as any number of above average, forgettable films were also funny at times.

Aetius probably had the single best post, when he mentioned that it was simply there; an endlessly rewatchable film that played all the time on cable. It's just a very good film that everyone has seen so many times, it becomes familiar and cherished, even if there is better stuff out there. (And that's where the "family comedy" reason kicks in; it was played so often on TNT since they hardly had to censor a thing)

That's a damn good reason, but it seems like most people are arguing something altogether different.

But it doesn't have to be. For instance, a while ago, Mike Ness mentioned he didn't think much of "Conan the Barbarian", and asked me why I found it so great. So I eventually wrote why. There were no deep insights there, but hopefully, I conveyed what made it so great in my eyes.

And it was fun to write that; analyzing what made me love a movie so much always is.

So I'm surprised none of the self-professed fans here feel like doing it. It almost reminds me of hardcore religious peoples, or extreme liberals/conservatives. But it's just a movie!

Well, I could say the same about your posts in this topic, dude. Everything you've written just devolves to "well, that's just like...your opinion, man!"

In this case, I'm accepting of just about any cogent opinion. It's just that so few have actually offered one, yourself included.

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

...now I am become KIMASTER, the destroyer of threads. Are you trying to get someone to convince you to like this movie? I seriously don't know what your goal is here. There are plenty of posts explaining why people like BttF in this thread.

15. Idiot Wind

Idiot Wind
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I gave it some thought, and came up with two reasons why I think this movie is so highly regarded:

It makes people want to cheer when a hip hero impresses the ”primitives” with modern attitudes and technology. This is perhaps best illustrated in the skateboard chase which ends with a truckload of shit dumped on the Biff gang, and it is a common element in time travel movies (see also : ”This is my BOOMSTICK!” in Army of Darkness). This ”I’m cooler than you” approach seems to elicit a more rousing effect on the audience than ”I’m stronger” or ”I’m smarter”. I guess maybe people in general are more invested in the idea of coolness than brains or brawn, and Back to the Future plays on this element better than any movie I can think of.

The other factor is how well Marty’s character is balanced between coolness and being an underdog. He is quite confident, doesn’t have dweebish characteristics, and he has an attractive girlfriend (from the beginning of the story, in most underdog movies the main character only gets the girl at the end). On the other hand he is a slacker, has problems with authority, and his band is summarily dismissed at an audition at the beginning of the movie for playing the kind of music the majority doesn’t like. He is not part of the ”mainstream cool” crowd, but hangs out with a nutty scientist instead. All in all, he is quick-witted and competent enough to be a believable ordinary hero, but still has that somewhat nerdy outsider aspect with which many people will identify.

16. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Time travel is always an intriguing concept in general. I've always enjoyed movies and shows like The Time Machine, Voyagers, Quantum Leap.

One of the unique things about Back to the Future is that the movie put time travel on a personal level. He went back in time to this place and people that were both alien and familiar. His mom was a sexual person and his uncle was an innocent baby. Meanwhile his father was (unsurprisingly) the school punching bag. And his principal...was exactly the same.

Also, unlike a lot of other time travel movies/shows, it played out the concepts of what happens if you mess up key points. Others may have touched on it, but in this case it was central to the plot.

And I loved that it didn't take itself too seriously. It was a playful movie, allowing you to laugh and gape and shake your head. Not to say there wasn't a real tension-building plot point - Doc being shot down by the Libyans.

As I mentioned before, it appealed to multiple generations. Marty was a cool kid, cooler than his parents for sure. But as soon as he went back in time, he was on their turf. That world was alien to my generation, but it wasn't alien to my parents. We could watch together as a family and enjoy his adventure as he messed stuff up (asking for a Tab), but learned to adapt (turning a scooter into a skateboard).

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Apparently a few of you can't fucking read. I posted on the prior page to knock the bullshit retard slapfight off. Did ya miss it? This kind of shit over a stupid fucking movie is ridiculous and, now thanks to your inability to read, listen (to each other too) and comprehend this is done. Way to go. Marty would bo so proud.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fuck Marty.

Teen Wolf would have kicked some ass though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.