Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Great Scott!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by scotchcrotch, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

25 years ago today Marty McFly went back in time in one of the best movies of all time, Back to the Future.

There are few movies I've seen more than this, I'd rank it in the top 3 of my favorites of all time, and I'd imagine the demographic on this board shares my sentiment.

Focus- Back to the Mother Fuckin' Future

2. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Has it really been 25 years since Michael J. Fox was shakin' it on the silver screen as Marty McFly?

3. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw two deloreans on the freeway one day. One of the license plates said "NOROADS" Of course, "OUTATIME" would've been better, but of course, MI license plates only have 7 characters.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know most people don't really give a shit but I am pumped to see the footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly in the blu-ray release. It's like seeing deleted scenes or reading a fictionalized version of a movie. That there is some part of the BTTF universe you wouldn't get to see from the theatrical release. I just hope it's not little snippets in a documentary but longer rough cuts of total scenes. Obviously there is going to be a huge bias towards Michael J Fox's Marty but Im excited to see the take a different actor had on it, more serious from all the things Ive read.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was late to work this morning because the original cast was on the Today show. I think Christopher Lloyd may be going senile. Either that or he mumbled a lot. He talked for a good 5 minutes, and I was able to understand maybe 8 words.

6. Noahh

Noahh
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They had a cast reunion on the Today Show and the only people who didn't show were Crispin Glover (he had a falling out with Zemeckis) and Thomas F Wilson (because he's a smug asshole who takes himself too seriously).

I don't have the link handy, but Wilson's website is about as pretentious as it comes. He refuses to answer questions, sign anything, and barely acknowledges his role in the trilogy. Afraid of being typecast is one thing, but at least respect your fans and show up for the 25th anniversary of your career.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hard to be type cast as a voice actor amiright? Mark Hammil he is not.

9. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is that pretentious? Why is Wilson obligated to attend the 25th anniversary of some movie he once made? Why does he owe you or any of the other fans a damn thing?

Focus-

I think "Back to the Future" was a good, fun, highly rewatchabe picture. It's quintessential 80s, grossed an incredible amount of money upon release, made Zemeckis a superstar director, was followed by a crappy sequel, and a decent 3rd film.

However, I do not understand the obsession or all the news stories about its 25th anniversary. In absolutely no way was it ground-breaking or really exceptional. It's not even the quality; it's a very good film, but I don't see what part of it prompts such fandom. Is it the nostalgia factor I'm missing? I would be curious what scrotchcrotch and others love so much about it.

10. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They all want to go back in time and bang their moms.

11. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wouldn't you if your mom was 80's Lea Thompson?

12. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2010 Lea Thompson ain't so bad either. Entertainment Weekly did a whole issue on cast reunions and she didn't look much different from the 80s version. Though, I wouldn't doubt some "retouching" took place.

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wilson doesn't owe us a thing, but neither do the rest of them. I dunno, maybe some goodwill is in order for making them all stars. Maybe not, but like most gestures of gratitude, it'd be nice.

Hell Michael J Fox shook his crippled ass to the premeire.

Since when does a movie have to be groundbreaking to be appreciated? It's part nostalgia, part wanting to fuck my mom.

Sometimes a story holds its own. Can you name a movie that's even remotely like it?

That's good enough for me.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The best time travel movie ever made. The second one was kind of dreary after the amazing first half, and the third may be the best of the trilogy. So many classic catch phrases, props and moments of explosive humour. It's only aged like a fine wine over the years.

...except for Fox lip-synching Johhny B. Goode. That was laughable.

WHO DO YOU THINK!?!?!? THE LIBYANS!!!!

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I love this movie, one of my top 5 all time favorites. I could watch it a million times and never get sick of it.

Something cool you guys might like, heres MJF doing a shot for shot remake of the original trailer for Spike Scream Awards this year:

Also a pretty cool, yet anal retentive article on the paradoxes associated with the movies:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/652270/the_plot_holes_and_paradoxes_of_the_back_to_the_future_trilogy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/652270/ ... ilogy.html</a>

#15 Juice, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Super creepy

#16 SwampDonkey, Oct 26, 2010
  17. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

What does that mean? The movie has aged well? Back to the Future is one of the greatest stories ever told?

I would say the Indiana Jones movies strike a very similar tone. Ghostbusters, Teen Wolf, Big... lots of 80's action/adventure/comedies do.

I like the movie, I'm just curious as to whether you can verbalize more what's so appealing/great about it.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

However he may be, this is a hysterical jam he did:

While we're at it...

#18 Crown Royal, Oct 26, 2010
  19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because Lea Thompson is great masturbatory fodder.

I thought we already went over this?

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Tattoo that statement on you nutsacks. The only reason I watched Howard The Duck all the way through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.