Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Got more cars than the beach got sand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carl24, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Zazz

Zazz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Because this country is full of terrible drivers, horrific accidents happen so often they don't make the news, and only get posted in obscure papers for people who probably don't care. That particular accident was last week and close to my work, so we saw the surrounding neighborhoods turn gridlocked for about 5 hours. The two confirmed dead in the accident were a mother and her stroller-bound daughter attempting to cross the freeway, and rumor has it that it was a school bus. This happens all the time, and on occasion I'll even see hombres selling popsicles and lottery tickets. I've learned to accept that on these days I'll get home at some ungodly hour no matter what, so I roll up a joint and walk to the bar until it dies down, and will always see a handful of familiar faces doing the same thing.

2. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From Scranton to Pittsburgh. The trip usually takes 5-7 hours. The combination of road work, a car accident, and a semi flipping due to the original car accident kept us going a few inches at a time for 3 hours. Except for one rest area, I sat behind the wheel for 12 straight hours.

If I hadn't been listening to a book on CD (David Sedaris "When You Are Engulfed In Flames") I would have gone insane.

3. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I live near a city of ~85,000 people. Interstate 35 runs through it. Right now the section of I35 that runs through the city is going through a gigantic overhaul. The northbound lanes are completely closed and all traffic is threaded onto the 2 southbound lanes with huge barriers on all sides and 1 lane reserved for each direction for 5-6 miles. Some old van going south broke down inside the barriers making it impossible for traffic to get around it. Traffic was backed up for miles through the city. I was only stuck for a half hour or so, a tow truck must have been dispatched immediately. The only way out was if you happened to be stranded right next to one of the few offramps that were open. Personally, if I was that guy I'm not sure if I would think my situation was hilarious or if I would just start running before someone shoots me.