Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Gold Rush - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The kid still isn't old enough to drink in the US, and he just cleared more than $1.5 million in a gold season... I think I'll cut him some slack.

I think this season was a real eye-opener for him, and he's learned some shit about management... the hard way. Hopefully he'll take the shit that's happened, learn from it, and apply it next season.

When it comes right down to it, you have to learn how to lead men, and he's doing just that... he might not have Gene there to help, but I think he'll manage things all right.

As to Gene, I don't think it was so much that Parker pissed him off in that the dredge that Tony built is fucking awesome and why the hell wouldn't you go run it if you had a chance? It's like a gear-head gold-minor's wet dream.

Hell, I would love the chance to go run that dredge for a season...

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, that dredge was fucking awesome. I was hoping to see it run more this season than the few minutes we got to see.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone watching this season? I'm on the second episode.

Looks like the Hoffman crew is gonna end up homeless this time.

Parker has got an insanely hot little girlfriend. And he's convinced her to drive rock trucks. I think she has a long game plan here. Either that, or the show runners are trying to get more viewers because Monica Beets isn't exactly that cute.

Tony is still a complete asshole.

4. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tony Beets is awesome. His dredge is killing it.

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree he is successful at what he does. But I think he should have negotiated a better deal with Parker. Parker would have had more incentive to mine for more. His micromanagement is also pretty bad. I could see myself being miserable working for him.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have to admit that this and Deadliest Catch are my two main guilty pleasures... I watch every episode.

I think Parker is growing up quite well, and it's good to see that maturity spread to his team. Watching Rick and Mitch laugh with each other is a huge step up from when they were trying to kill each other. And for Parker to let Rick go and spin up a second site is huge.

Sorry to hear about Parker's Grandfather...

I have a ton of respect for Tony, just don't particularly like him. The dude is self-made, and it's his cash on the line, in his operation, so he can run it any way he wants. And that deal was what Parker agreed to initially, so nothing wrong with Tony demanding that they stick with it. The shitty part was when he tried to pull the rug out from Parker way back when he'd agreed to something... Parker shows up and Tony demands something else. That was pretty shitty of him.

I'm loving the dredge operations... making a shit-ton of gold, and very interesting to watch.

And I'm just never surprised at the immaturity of Todd... and never get tired of watching his fuck-ups.

I really like watching everyone solve mechanical problems in the middle of nowhere, and am quite excited to see where the conveyor-on-an-excavator idea goes. It's also really interesting to watch Parker's new home-designed wash plant kick some ass like it is.

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Parker is definitely growing up nicely. He nearly lost all his crew twice so far because of the way he spoke to them. Hopefully, he keeps it together nicely and doesn't alienate the crew.

Todd had a good season last time but his whole motivation was to just beat Parker. Now, he saw a dirt sample with a couple nice nuggets in it and immediately signed up. It looked like he was seeking out different land but I haven't watched the latest episode yet.

8. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should watch the latest episode, even before reading Nett's post again as it has spoilers. I will wait to comment on your other post for same reason.

Also, Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush are my favorite two shows too. I don't miss an episode.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok so I'm caught up now. That was a nice deal for Tony to make for Parker. Tony's ego needed a bit of a check from his wife.

I can't decide if the producers want Todd and Parker to dislike each other or if they really don't like each other. It seems like every conversation they get into starts off cordial enough and then devolves almost instantly into shit talking. I think Todd takes issue with Parker being young and successful and I think Parker thinks Todd is an idiot.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I tend to side with Parker on this one... Todd tries to come off as the wiser, older guy, and Parker is outperforming him hands down, and is thinking "STFU, old man".

11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. Parker got himself a decent deal and it always seems like Todd is constantly on bankruptcy's doorstep. Although I foresee problems starting a second operation to get himself an additional 1000 ounces. Do they have enough crew to do all that?

I think it would be pretty sweet to see Parker own a claim that Todd would lease from him. Just to see Parker treat Todd like a child.

12. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Todds' son Hunter looks like a young lesbian.