Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Gold Rush Alaska

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by kuhjäger, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You mean the sort of stuff that the Discovery channel and TLC used to do before Viacom got a hold of them? Anyone else remember when TLC was "The Learning Channel"? I feel like we are worse off as a culture because of Jon and Kate.

2. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to admit, both of those channels used to have a lot more credibility and produced much better shows before the whole "reality TV" thing took hold. I would love to see them return to their former glory. I blame lazy producers out for a quick buck.

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure how they're calculating the 250k, but I can tell you that those two excavators and the loader should bring in a minimum of 100k alone at auction. I work with this stuff regularly and there's a Hitachi 270LC with 10k hours opening at 30 grand. A 400LC in decent condition should open at around 40-45 grand.

Not sure about the loader. I didn't get a look at the make and model. It's an older unit for sure. It looks to be around the size of a Deere 544. If it's an H-series or newer, it will open at around 20k.

Realistically, they could be looking at 150k just for the two excavators and the loader if they go to the right auction house.

4. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to mention the money that they all made from the series itself. I have no idea how much it was, but I imagine it took a pretty sizable dent out of their $250k debt. The show was recently renewed for another season, but I'm not sure if it will be with the same miners (term used loosely) or with another group of people. If it's the same guys, they left their camp in fairly good shape to be able to start producing significant amounts of gold when they get back up there this summer.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From Dorsey's blog the dad and son made off pretty well from selling the show, also, they didnt actually have to shutter their airfield and still own it. The rest of the cast to his knowledge didnt receive anything. After all was said and done he thinks they pulled 26oz of pure gold during the summer. It seems possible since they really edited down too some basic panning scenes.

edit: I guess there is a last follow up episode coming up this week. Some things should be answered.

6. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, these guys are all immature assholes.

Hey, lets light Dorsey's cabin on fire.

I wish they hadn't got money from Discovery for this and had ended up destitute.

To be honest, when I first started watching I was hoping for a professional group who would pull gold, and I could jerk off to nuggets and shit.

Also, does anyone know, was this filmed 2009-2010?

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They couldnt even get that right!

I thought it was great that Dakota Fred fucked them over on the claim. Heres hoping next season is more productive...

8. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bet that was not just Dakota Fred's decision. He was working for the claim owner. He's the one who fucked them over, but I'm sure Dakota Fred told him what complete fuck-ups they are. I actually enjoyed some of the footage from that last episode a lot more than from a lot of the other shows. It seemed more "real", especially the part with Harness when they first arrived, and the footage after the fight when the camera crew came upon them and got in the car with them. That's more of what I wanted to see instead of this fake "pick up" nonsense.

I love how all season they talked about how broke they were and how much money they spent and how they had to "get the gold" but now they're looking at a new claim and suddenly are going to be able to get all this much newer and, I would think, much more expensive equipment.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I love how they're all such fucking experts on mining and picking digging sites now, without having actually, you know, succeeded at any kind of mining yet.

I have no doubt that there's money that's been made, but it's been by selling gold fever to people with money, not by actually mining any gold.

What I wouldn't give to learn about the real finances that have gone on with this show.

10. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With diesel fuel.

Even when these guys aren't mining gold, they fuck up.

11. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    They should just have a show where these guys travel the country trying different occupations and completely fucking them up.

12. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fuck. Off.

I can't wait for Trainwreck 2.0 to show up on TV.

14. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This had better stream online so I can watch it.

From a clip I just watched:
    Yeah, because that is actually gold.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They really going to make the dude with the orthopedic shoe the villain this year? Let's hope the claim owner sells his stake to that dastardly Jimmy Dorsey.

16. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tonight they get the gold. Are they on the same claim as last year? On the last episode last year they said they had to get a new spot and showed them going to different places in Alaska to find one. The commercials make it look like they are back at the old spot however.

17. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was under the impression they wound up at that claim in Canada that the checked out after last season. Hence this season's title "Gold Rush" versus "Gold Rush Alaska".

Could be wrong though. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

18. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

OK, so we definately learned you do not want to fuck with Dakota Fred. They got fucking owned for screwing with him last season.

What I'm confused about is what was the phone call about that Fred made before they left for Alaska?

It didn't show him buying the claim until after that. Was he going to warn them of his intentions, or was he egging them on to come to Alaska and throw the shit in their faces?

Or just bad editing.

19. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He said that he had a standing offer with the owner to buy the claim for sometime so he knew he was going to buy it.

20. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I can't even watch this show anymore without getting pissed off. It's like they've taken all of the shittiest, incompetent retard employees I've ever had and threw them all together. I wouldn't hire any of these morons to sweep the fucking floor.