Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Gold Rush Alaska

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by kuhjäger, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Might be that his wife said "no fucking way I'm living in a trailer or tent for a year", so he had to promise to build something reasonable. Especially if he's got kids.

I can see that, and really, I don't think it'll take all that long to build. And I can't blame him. A year is a LONG time to live out in the middle of nowhere, so you might as well invest a bit of time up front to make it livable.

It'll be interesting to see how it's heated, insulated, and generally finished on the inside though.

I don't remember seeing how long they're planning on being up there, but when the dark and snow and shit weather hits, a simple house like that will be a fucking life saver. I'm willing to bet the other guys haven't even put any thought into the future beyond the following week.

A couple of weeks to throw up a simple house and give it some minor conveniences (indoor shitter, etc), will pay off huge later on.

But Todd is too focused on the short-term "I'm going broke and need money" thing to think about anything else.

2. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They say they're "losing $1000/day". If they mine and ounce a day (which is very optimistic), that leaves them with only $374/day to make up the $180k that they've already spent. For the sake of my own enjoyment, I really hope they lose their asses. I also hope Dorsey gets shot or eaten by a bear. Maybe even shot by a bear.

Not tough as nails. If he was tough as nails, he wouldn't be crying about his back every 5 minutes. He'd just shut up and do it. I've worked with guys who've broken bones (ankle and wrist) and just kept working throughout the day without saying a peep about it. It's only the next day when they show up with a cast on that you find out they got their hand smashed between a truss and a wall and broke their hand or something.

3. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think they can mine through the winter, my recollection from earlier episodes was there is like a 4 or 5 month window in which they need to get shit done.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im pretty sure they are just there for the summer months and their season is almost half over I think. Was that guy in dire financial straights as the other guys? Seems pretty industrious for him to find loggers to make a deal like that and bring in a friend to help build the place. You think others would have done the same thing.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The guy's listed as The Foreman, so I'm assuming he might actually kind of know what he's doing.

Except that he's there with Todd and Co.

It's confusing.

6. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, that episode was a clusterfuck, and really showed that they had no idea what they were getting into.

Dorsey was really trying. None of them had used a wave table before, and it seems like one of those things you are going to have to adjust the angle of for each locale, and the density of the sand, and sacrifice some of your black sand to get results.

Dorsey seemed to be really trying to get it to work, but the old man was just going crazy and not letting them calibrate it.

And when Dorsey came back, Harness had his assault rifle ready, "just in case"? Are you fucking kidding me? Like Dorsey is going to go on a rampage and destroy their camp?

Christ on a hamburger bun, these guys are stupid. And the promo for next week:

Looks like their whole plant was made just plain fucking wrong? Couldn't have happened to a better group of guys.

7. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    This episode actually made Dorsey look better than the other idiots. I liked the part where the old man said something like "Dorsey knows more about the wave table than me, but at this point I really don't care. It's gonna be done my way and that's it." Genious.

And why don't they catch everything that comes out of the wave table when they're calibrating it so they can run it through again when they get it right? The shit was just running out on the fucking ground, gold and all.

I also like how some of the guys were trying to act tough when they were talking about Dorsey. "If he gets in my face it ain't gonna be good." Well that's professional. 9 times out of 10 when a guy is sucking his own dick about getting in fights and "doing something about it" they're the ones that end up getting their asses kicked.

I laughed when one of the wives said something like "I don't understand how the lord could provide us with food and money to make it this far and then let us down." Sorry honey, I don't think the lord had anything to do with it. I think it had more to do with you marrying an incompetent moron.

And I swear if I hear the old man say "we gotta get the gold" in his nasally voice one more time, I'm gonna start throwing shit at the TV. You gotta get the gold? No shit? The guy should be locked in his cabin so he isn't meddling around and fucking things up anymore. The rest of the guys are doing a good enough job of fucking up without him.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it a wonder why these people were in such dire financial straights before coming? I honestly don't know why theyd bring dozens of wives and kids when it skyrockets their cost with almost zero benefit. When you are losing a grand a day on top of 250k sunk, I dont care how much you miss your kids, you just need to fucking work. Even though Dorsey comes off as the biggest bitch I think the Grandpa is the one truly fucking up the entire operation. That and it seems they had absolutely zero planning before hand. Each week they need a new integral piece of equipment and it's fucking August. But skinny stubborn Santa really blew it with the wave table. He flips shit and stops work on it for no other reason than he's an idiot and has everyone pan randomly hoping to come up with enough gold. It looked like 2/3rds of the stuff he was measuring was black sand.

Im sure as it had been hinted that Dorsey was complaining the most, being irrational, and not producing enough work to have the others care if he left or not. There was no way he was making it the entire season with the way they handled the wave table. I honestly don't see him being able to actually take any of the other dudes in a fight bar some random haymaker sucker punch or blind luck he just comes off that much as a spineless pussy. But yeah Ive known a lot of blue collar idiots who resort to that sort of idiot fighting machismo that keeps them working shitty jobs because they have a long wrap sheet for assault. Way to prove you're a man when your family is close to starving!

I too had hearty laugh when first, they prayed to god for a gold bonanza, then the wife's little tearful confession that god wouldn't have brought them here to fail.

9. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I say we propose season 2 of this show to Discovery: Gold Rush Alaska, Idiots in the Wilderness

This is just a working title, as that is what the show should be called now anyways.

Instead it is Netdetta, and I, and whoever wants to come from the board. We go to the same spot, and we mine.

I bet we would do 10x better.

10. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, it would have to be something that we only have an ancillary knowledge of through reading a book or two or seeing a show on TV. Something like space travel.

Idiots in Space!

11. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I successfully panned for gold in Nome, Alaska once. I'm in as soon as I can load up the mule.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im in as long as you guys foot the bill for the project and I can whine and bitch and do none of the work. Ill be next seasons Dorsey. Have guns will travel.

Im sure wikipedia has more than enough information to be more successful than this group of idiots...

13. Degenerate

Degenerate
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

How many episodes are left?

14. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

However many it takes to get the GOLD

15. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Wow that image is the first time I've seen him with his mouth closed and not constantly stroking his beard.

Count me in. I can run an excavator, and I've managed to never back one into a fucking pickup.

16. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So it turns out that the old fuck tried to strike it rich in Alaska 25 years ago, and guess what?

He failed, and lost pretty much everything.

History repeats itself.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can Tig weld and carry a clipboard, so sign me up.

18. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ultimately we would have to accept the fact that we probably would have to bring kiMaster and Ballsack along for strife to keep the audience interested.

I took some geology classes in college, AND I have been to San Francisco, so I could probably sniff out a gloryhole.

Though instead of families, we would bring whiskey. A smart decision.

19. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I know I'm late to the party of this, but holy fuck, $630 for being a next-to useless deckhand for one day on a salmon boat? I'm in the wrong business.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was wondering how staged that was myself. I know Salmon fishing is big business in Alaska but >600 for a days labor? I mean it seemed like he'd only be working maybe a day every week or so but shit is it as dangerous as the king crab fishing/harvesting?