Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Gold Rush Alaska

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by kuhjäger, Dec 17, 2010.

1. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anyone else caught this show on Discovery?

It is about a group of people who have more or less sold everything they could, maxed out loans, and leased a gold claim in the middle of Alaska.

These guys are amazingly incompetent, as you can guess by the very premise.

It is amazing watching these guys who lived in Oregon suddenly move to the complete wilderness in Alaska. They have no idea what they are doing. They drove an excavator through a freezing river carrying an off road buggy strapped to the bucket.

The old man just hauls around in a huge excavator without looking where he is going, he already has hit a car, digging in random spots, and refusing to listen to anyone, and common sense.

Oh, and did I mention a couple of them brought their kids. And there are FUCKING BEARS everywhere. Some expert said that it is likely there are 3 bears for every person in the camp just in their claim.

I can't wait to watch a kid get snacked on, or a bumblefuck miner get crushed under the treads of the excavator.

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just watched the first three episodes and enjoyed them. It is kind of like the blind leading the blind but I hope they find some gold.

The 90 year old guy who has a house on his claim next to theirs was interesting. He is apparently very rich but still goes out mining. Probably what keeps him alive.

3. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He is probably 40.

But damn that old man had a lot of gold. It gave me a hard on to hear those nuggets plunk down. I will be honest, it mademe want to prospect.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I will be amazed if somebody doesn't die.

They are too fucking stupid to know they're stupid.

"Life ain't working out, so let's just throw a gold-rush hail Mary to fix things". Awesome life advice!

Just watching them try and load up their gear onto the trailers was enough to see that they're incompetent.

My favourite part so far is the fancy titles they've given the various guys.

Safety Officer? Engineer?

This is not going to end well, for them. For us, this is looking like it's going to be fucking entertaining as hell.

As it is, they've had big fucking problems just driving their gear to the barge.

Wow.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm also calling Todd as the first guy to be mistaken for a bear and shot, with one of the 46 guns they have with them.

What a douche-nozzle.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh. My. God.

The way they're dealing with the bears is fucking insane. And by "insane" I mean hilariously idiotic.

"Creating a defencive perimeter against the bears." By pissing around their camp. Seriously?

And grizzly bear hunting with an AR-15. At night.

And the one bear they do shoot is a medium sized little black bear on top of it all. I have bigger bears than that regularly showing up at my back door.

The bears are SOOOO going to win this.

Is it wrong that I want the bears to win?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The guy's got a pretty sweet little setup that he's fine tuned over the last 10-15 years. He said that on a good day, he makes $30k - $40k in an afternoon.

Fuck. Me.

8. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These guys reek of guys who have major hard ons for guns that some suburban rednecks get.

9. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I tried watching some of it, I really tried. But when I heard the old dude getting gold fever by trying to find and plunder glory holes, I lost it. It didn't help that the announcer kept repeating "glory hole" and showing that old guy with a seriously pervy look on his face.

10. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love how he is just zipping around looking for glory holes anywhere possible, like a sailor in San Francisco during Fleet Week.

11. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who would bring small kids with them though. The old guy is driving into cars, tons of guns, some dumb asses and bears. All right kids, you go have fun in the woods.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And then there's that wife that shows up and basically laughs and says "WTF!?" and the hubby gets all defensive. Divorce filed, I'd say.

And then the mother of one of the kids who's still back in Oregon who doesn't find the "neato" factor of her kid "discovering" a grizzly bear.

I'm betting a whole flock of wives show up and hilarity ensues.

13. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The bear buffet... I mean other wives and children are arriving on next week's episode I think.

I want to see them actually go after the gold. My dad and I used to go panning for gold in various places. We would usually get few flakes, which was pretty cool, and I have a thing for buried riches.

I do wonder if Discovery will have them seed gold and act like they found it.

14. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started to watch the other night with my wife, but we were tired so we DVRd it and will definitely be checking it out tonight after reading this thread. I am wondering though, if they have a show with Discovery, technically, doesn't that mean they have jobs now and don't really need the gold? Ahh, fuck it, who cares. I can't wait to see someone get eaten by a bear!

15. Degenerate

Degenerate
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Once again the TiB TV Show board delivers absolute GOLD.

16. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This show may soon overtake Pawn Stars and Storm Chasers (tied) as my favorite show.

Old men randomly digging for "glory holes" with tractors?

Guns?

Dangerous pranks involving off-road vehicles?

Jobless rednecks?

Half-assed "equipment" that was thrown together believing it "may" work?

Idiots trying to lead idiots?

Again, I repeat: rednecks with GUNS?!?

Sign me the fuck up!

17. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, so how long has it been since Toytoy last posted?

Thanks again TiB TV board for another great suggestion. Between Todd's complete lack of leadership, Dorsey's hilarious incompetence and the old guy's insistence on running off digging for glory holes and destroying various pieces of equipment, I'm hooked and hoping for a complete train wreck. After they've seen bears running all over their camp, I can't believe these guys are dumb enough to think that bringing their wives up to the camp will be anything other than an awful idea.

18. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

30 minutes into the first episode and I'm sold.

Sadly, I give it one season before they are fined into bankruptcy by OSHA. The logging companies involved with Ax Men had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines after dozens of safety violations were aired on national TV. These guys are even dumber.

19. The Dread Pirate

The Dread Pirate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Looks like they are already getting themselves into legal trouble with the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Service and other state regulatory agencies:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/10530995/article-Made-for-TV-Alaska-mining-venture-promotes-gold-rush-mentality" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_stor ... -mentality</a>?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wish I could say I was surprised...

But I wonder how much of this is going to stick to Discovery? (Or the production company and individuals that sold it to Discovery).

I'd love to know whether or not they are just along for the ride, or are actively financing, pushing, directing the endeavour.