Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Going South

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, May 28, 2010.

1. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm from North Carolina, and since graduating from college there, have lived in New Mexico and Boston. I have a pretty good idea of how the South stacks up against other places, and how people from other places perceive the South. I could write pages on this topic. Moreso than any other place, I feel like people unfairly stereotype the South. John Q's post is a perfect example, and that kind of thinking runs rampant in Boston. To people who have never been to the South, it's a place full of uneducated hillbillies who talk slow, shoot each other, fuck their sisters, hate blacks and despise liberals. Are there people like that in the South? Absolutely. Are there people like that everywhere? Abso-fucking-lutely.

Oh, and just to echo what other people have said. Having a slight Southern accent is pure gold when picking up women in other parts of the country. I play mine up every chance I get.

Quick list of my likes/dislikes about the South:

Like: Sundresses, sweet tea, Bojangles, tailgating for SEC football games, girls with sexy accents, summer cookouts, Charlotte, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, western NC barbecue sauce, lawn seats at country music concerts, NASCAR races (not a true race fan, but the experience is like none other), hospitality, basic fucking manners.

Dislike: Humidity, rednecks with big trucks who drive like pricks, the Atlanta Braves, dudes who make up for their small cocks by talking about their gun collection, one-inch snowstorms that shut down cities for days, and, yes, the racism. To clarify the last part: there is racism everywhere. It is no worse in the South than it is in other places. The thing that pisses me off about the South is the select few ignorant fucks who pride themselves on being stereotypically Southern, and thus peacock their hate for other races. The people who think it's cool, because it makes them more "Southern," to tell nigger jokes and rant about spics.

2. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The south is no more racist than "other places", or it's no more racist than Boston and New Mexico? Because that's not saying much.

Also, I think it's hysterical that a bunch of working-class Southie micks had the balls to rip into Southerners for their eccentricities. That's just retahded.

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Umm, isn't that how it is supposed to be pronounced?

About your spoiler tag, I will drive a car around without the hood for a few days if I just put in a new engine so I don't have to go through the trouble of taking it off again if there was some unforseen problem that requires me to remove it again.
    But of course, I have also been known to drive vehicles without doors, fenders, pickup beds or rear hatches.

Edit: If anyone was wondering about the exposed engine/no hood issue, it doesn't rain very much where I live, AND IT DOESN'T SNOW EXCEPT UNDER FREAK CONDITIONS. I have experienced snow once, and though fun for awhile, I would never want to live anyplace where that is a regular occurence.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Chicks are HOOOOOT as fuck, and people I personally talked to were jovial and fascinated by my "crazy" accent, as to a point where they would call people over to listen to me, like I was Jesus or something. They weren't being rude, but I guess a S/W Ontario accent to them is fucking hilarious. Much like how when they speak to me, I think that I'm watching a Hee-Haw! marathon.

I had no bad encounters. I know there's some still some unacceptable behaviour down there, but I never experienced it. They DO love their fire arms down there, that ain't no fucking joke. I've seen a gun maybe five times in my life up here. Swallow that. After our drive through the South, I saw over fifty.

Why can't you just stab people like we do?

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So some southerners went to Philly and the Jersey Shore and came back with a bad taste of the north. No shit morons. In other news, Burt Reynolds and John Voight have an understandably negative view of the south, banjos and inbreeding.

6. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Also, all those fancy 'classic cars' people keep stored away all winter long, where do you think they come from? A car won't last long enough for it's antique tags up in the slush states.

7. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I live in Florida, which is kind of like a Hybrid southern state (except for the panhandle). At least, that's how I see it. But I've been to Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Alabama and Carolina. I fucking love the South. If you don't, I hope you get hit by a car. The Southern United States is by far home to the best college football, the best weather, the best food, the best girls, the nicest people in the country and New Orleans. What's not to love? Honestly.

8. notkim

notkim
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I have lived my entire life in Georgia, and I truly consider (at least my part of the state) one of the most perfect places on Earth. Plenty of water, plenty of land, amazingly awesome weather. The only weather we have to worry about is an occasional hurricane and the resulting tornadoes, but we are far enough inland that hurricanes blow themselves out before they can do any real damage and the tornadoes are nothing compared to the ones in the middle part of the country. We don't have to worry about mud slides or earthquakes or any of that other nonsense. And there is plenty of SPACE out here. Plenty of land. Also, you can drive a couple hours in one direction and go to the beach, and a couple hours in the other direction and be in the mountains.

About the racism thing, racism DOES exist everywhere. The south gets a bad rap about it, but according to my friends who have lived elsewhere, they all say that the racism was worse where they came from. My best girlfriend grew up in Chicago and she says she was shocked to get down here because things were actually so much worse up there. (My reply was the cold weather had driven people up there crazy and they were all just cranky all the time. She agreed.)

As for the "hick/hillbilly" mentality, I think "country" people are just that, regardless of what state they live in. **Edit: I think that country people are just "country". I wouldn't call country people hicks/hillbillies as these are derogatory terms. Country is a lifestyle, and it is a fine way to live. There are country people in every state, north south east or west.**

I'm not a huge fan of the heat/humidity. Here, the four seasons are: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas. That is a very true statement. That's really my only complaint, though. I love the food, I love the general "southern mentality", including the hospitality, the manners, the general way of being that comes with being raised down here. I love to travel and I may even live somewhere else for a while, but my roots are here, and this will always be home.

As for the craziest state in the Union, I'm inclined to say California. But I don't have any actual facts to back that up. Just a feeling.

9. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bingo.

I've said it before: I hate Chicago. The vibe I get from everyone is stand offish, at best. Contrast with friendly, willing to answer a question vibe of almost everyone in Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. Southern Hospitality is a real thing.
    No way I'll ever live any where further north of where I do now - note I'm further south than Louisville, KY but still in the Hoosier state.

10. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

[​IMG]

I took this picture at 7-11 by the University of Hawaii.
    The note reads "Sorry were close about 1hr."
    This is in the middle of town, not the country. I've never seen a 7-11 closed in my whole life, not even 'close'.
    Ah, smell the coconut.

11. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You, sir, are correct. I like Florida a lot. But I love Georgia (Tennessee is a close second. But Georgia is number one.) I can't decide whether I like Colorado or Georgia better. Of course, I like both for different reasons. But Georgia is a legitimate damn state. They have it all when it comes to nature. The weather is perfect. It's warm in the summer and you get some snow in the winter, but it's nowhere near too much. It's home to that red clay and some beautiful (no homo) foothills. Just driving through the state is awesome. I don't know what it is, or why, but I love Georgia. I want to live in Savannah. It's a nice city. For the most part, it's clean. It has a great atmosphere. It's not too crowded but there's a moderate amount of fun activities to keep you occupied. Some of the buildings there look crazy. Screw Atlanta. The coolest thing about them is the Coke factory. At least Colorado has the Coors factory.

If you don't like the city, there's plenty of land (like you said) to run around on. You can ride ATVs through the foothills. You can hunt and shoot guns off all over the place without hurting a fly. God, do I miss Georgia. I've never lived there nor do I have any family there but I wish I did. You're fucking lucky man. I could be happy living there for the rest of my life. Florida has it's attractions, but Georgia is perfect for me. I can't even really put my finger on some of the reasons why I love it so much. Plus, Ludacris, Jeezy and Gucci Mane were born and bred in Georgia.

Anyways, I can see exactly where you're coming from dude. Fuck da hataz.

12. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh my God, I cannot wait to spend the 4th of July in Alpharetta, GA.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

SC had some of the nicest people I've ever met.

We were testing and picking up a car, and the things that complete strangers did to help us out was amazing.

The only REALLY fucked part that I just didn't get was the whole "you can't buy non-food during church time on Sundays" thing.

We needed motor oil, so we went and loaded it and some car cleaning supplies into the cart, and at the cash register we were told we weren't allowed to buy those yet... we had to wait until 3pm. It was 11am.

She gave us a resigned "what are ya gonna do?" shoulder shrug, and we left feeling rather confused.

14. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Have you ever been before? I'm fucking jealous. I've never been to Alpharette. But no matter where I've ever been in that state I've enjoyed it very much. Even when I was just an 8 year old kid. Even in Atlanta. Although, the ATL won't be my number one priority the next time I go. Plus, as a Buccaneers fan, I don't like the Falcons.

Anyways, are you just going on a camping trip or something?

15. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just signed my walking papers from active duty this morning in Oak Harbor, WA and take a wild guess where I'm headed? That's right, back to good old North Carolina. There really is no place in the world quite like the south and people who haven't been there just don't know what they are missing.

There is nothing like hitting a cookout where you don't know a single person and everyone treats you like family. Fuck I can't wait to get to Wilmington.

16. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Phish is playing in Alpharetta on the 3rd and the 4th. Were gonna fly over a bit early to catch a Braves game. I mean, can you really ask for anything better than to spend Independence Day weekend in the deep south, going to a baseball game and then an awesome concert?

17. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just typed a huge post, but then deleted it. I don't even know why I'm posting this. It's probably the alcohol. So instead of the 1,000 page essay I was goin to write here I'm just going to say:

Just keep rubbing it in. Dick.

Seriously though, have fun. If you're like me I know you will. y.

18. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am originally from Long Island, NY and I moved my family down to North Carolina 3 years ago. There is NO FUCKING COMPARISON. Anyone from the north that ranks on the south is a moron who has NO CLUE what they are talking about. I don't even like to go back to NY to visit the little bit of family I have left there.

My wife and I went back for a visit 2 years ago for someones graduation or something, and on our way back we stopped at a gas station to fill up for the ride home. There was an older lady sitting in her car at one of the pumps. She was on a cell phone telling someone she was having chest pain, my wife overheard and went over to see if she could help. She asked me to go in side and let someone know to call 911 for her. It just so happened there was an off duty EMT inside and he came out and helped her. Check her pulse, called an ambulance, talked to her to reassure her, you know, basically being a human being. Everyone that came through there was annoyed that the pump was blocked. Even after we explained what was happening they would nastily reply "Can't you take her out of the car and move it? She's blocking the pump!" One fuck in one of those little sporty convertible cars, obviously a prick from the city on his way to the Hamptons, actually tried to start a fist fight with the EMT! The three of us were looking at each other and shaking our heads. It was surreal. We could not believe it. No one gave a shit this lady was having a heart attack. Then we come to find out from her that her husband had just died the day before and she was on her way to the funeral home to finalize his burial arrangements! So, yeah, FUCK NY and the north in general. The south rocks.

19. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Does Widespread Panic know about this? Doesn't that violate some rule? If you smoke weed and listen to jam bands in the south, you listen to WSP! It's like taking a Pepsi over a Coke, treasonous. I see a hippie slap fight of the Vince vs. Axl proportions about to go in here.

20. ex Animo

ex Animo
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've been scared shitless of going to the South, ever since I was 12. I blame the media for only talking about the crazy ass rednecks and cross burnings and shit.

However, I have recently decided that the only thing that would bring me over to the South would be to hear some blues music and experience some mind blowing BBQ. Being half black still has me worried about traveling down there, but I'm slowly getting out of it. I can't be closed minded about going to places simply because a few extremists ruin it for everybody.

I'm considering heading to Texas, Florida and Georgia. Obvious cities being Dallas, Miami and Atlanta, but does anybody else have any recommendations as far as which cities to check out?