Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

God Bless The Military

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Diablo, Oct 19, 2009.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Depends. How long will you be going? Are you going to be sleeping in a coffin-rack, or will you have a stateroom? Either way, you should probably bring your own twin bed sized sheets and your own pillow. Hospital ships are big enough that you shouldn't have to worry about seas sickness. People wearing khakis are in charge, people in blue do the actual work. Breakfast is the best meal of the day, but damn near anything can be made edible with Tapatio. Bring hot sauce, as gifts for the people you work with if nothing else. Ship coffee is like what Cypher described his Matrix rotgut as: Good for two things; waking you up and degreasing engines.

2. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Signed two days ago. Need to get in shape. Any suggestions for how to maximize physical improvement in two months? Diet, rest, specific exercises, pretty much any advice you think could be useful.

3. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cardio, core, push ups, pull ups. Repeat. Those are the things that are tested in bootcamp. Subtract the pull ups if you're not going into the marines.

4. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Happy thanksgiving from Bahrain. My ship is in the Arabian Gulf now and we stopped by here for a few days. All is well on the 26 MEU.

5. theRookie

theRookie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Hey wolf, dunno if you picked up an xray contract - if so, hit me up, I can steer you in the right direction.

I'm an 18D in training, plodding my way through the marathon that is the Q course.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  7. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're definitely assbags, but I look at this way: I didn't swear to defend the Constitution "except for things I find offensive". Additionally, if the individual profits from the lie its fraud which is already a crime.

The one instance when I encountered a guy trying to score free beers at a bar in Boulder, I was surprised how fast the staff "suggested" he leave after I called him out. I wasn't obnoxious about it; simply said I thought he was full of shit & listed a few reasons why. I wasn't even loud, however I was sitting at the bar and I think the bartender overheard. Maybe two minutes later, two bouncers came over and walked him out the door.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A girl who became one of my best friends, for the first month I knew her she lied to my face about being a Navy vet. I was Navy for almost 9 years, so when she told me that she had recently gotten out, I thought that was pretty cool. Then I started to ask normal reasonable questions about her time in the service and got nonsensical answers.

"What was your rate?" (In the Navy, your rate is your job designation. I was an ET, or Electronics Technician. It would be similar to asking what someone's MOS is in the Army)

"I was a Chief". (That's a rank, E-7. It takes a minimum of 10 years to get that, roughly, due to time in service qualifications. It's not a rate.)

"Yeah, but what kind of Chief?

"Just a Navy Chief."

*incorrect buzzer sound*

We ended up being great friends after I called her out on her bullshit. Her explanation was that she never expected to meet me again after that one time and was just trying to be impressive. Real story was that she was currently in the running for acceptance to OCS (as confirmed by her mother), but got denied in the last round of acceptance letters.

I got over her lying about that, but I never totally believed anything she said after that. For instance, that her family had major connections with mexican cartels, or that the clearly cheap watch she was wearing was worth $5k+ and was a gift from a "mexican mafia uncle".

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Interesting story out of SoCal today. A supposed Navy SEAL was arrested for murder. He is supposed to have gotten in a fistfight with some guy, the fight was broken up, and the SEAL then allegedly stalked and killed him.

Every article out there has him listed as a SEAL, however all the Navy is actually saying is he's a petty officer 2nd class assigned to a West Coast-based special warfare unit.

I realize SEALS are human and do snap, but this seems way out of character given the extensive training and screening of SEALS.

Isn't it possible this guy is part of a SEAL support team and not an actual SEAL? I would imagine they do have an extensive support network and that maybe many of those support personal start to feel like bad asses by proxy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ing-stabbing-california-man-article-1.2675504

#729 toytoy88, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Very possible he was attached to something else and reporters are lazy and in search of sensationalism.

11. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Special warfare, you say? Must be a SEAL.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Apparently he was a SEAL. Interesting circumstances...

He confronted some pedophile at the beach about taking questionable pictures of young girls, the police arrived and made the guy delete the pictures from his phone and let him go.

About an hour later the guy was found beaten to death. The only thing tying the SEAL to the murder so far is he had confronted him. Surely no one else would beat a pedophile to death....right?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-navy-seal-charged-murder-20160616-snap-story.html

13. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not an expert on beating someone to death, but I've hit things and people. I would imagine if you hit someone violently enough to kill them, your hands/knuckles would show some damage.

14. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could have knocked him down and kicked the shit out of him.

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife lost some of her leg in Navy. She lives with chronic pain, depression, PTSD, insomnia, she's in a wheelchair most of the time...

For more than a year she has been trying to get her dog certified as a service dog through a nonprofit organization. It's run by veterans, for veterans only.

They keep postponing her dog's certification, making her continue attending these fundraisers for their organization. I finally got fed up and researched the state laws for assistance animals. My wife's dog is well beyond state standards for obedience, skills and training, has been for a long time. Like, since before he ever attended training.

I'm 99.999% certain they are lying and charging veterans for fees that don't exist. They specifically state that they do not train dogs, they assist the veteran in training their own dog. Then charge the veteran $50 for getting the dog registered with the department of health and human services, which by law cannot charge for the registration. I can't find that the organization or the "trainer" have been certified by any group that regulates or oversees professional animal trainers. The "trainer" is the wife of the president of the organization, she draws a paycheck from the nonprofit.

Someone recently donated a bunch of cool, well-bred dogs. Ideal dogs for assistance animals. Those dogs all went to the officers in the organization, most of whom now have two service dogs. I don't think a single one went to a veteran that didn't already have a dog.

I'm pretty sure they're just doing this so the "trainer" can draw a check and use the nonprofits' funds in other inappropriate ways.

And the trainer is a raging bitch.

I got time, my goal is to bring these mother fuckers down.

16. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You all might get tired of me posting about these people, but this is where I'm going put my thoughts, for now.

I decided to postpone the confrontation, I have a little more info and need to process it.

1- in the year 2015, they claimed an income of 19,028 dollars. I just find it hard to believe that is all they took in that year. They made 42% of that in one shot, a fundraising golf tournament, or claimed to.

They solicited for donations at Walmarts, yard sales, local dog events throughout the year. I'm certain I'll never find proof, but my innards tell me they are being shady with their cash donations.

I know one veteran, a dog breeder, donates one puppy every litter to these people, he sells those dogs for $500 to the public, I think he said he has donated 5.

2- They recently changed their website, removing all references to the wife of the president being the "master trainer" and no photos of her. Why would they need to do that? She had a presence on the site before.

Where do I find old internet at?

3- The wife gets paid as a "contractor" now. Remember, they don't actually train the dogs, says so right on their website. What is her salary for? The vets don't need her for a damn thing. Really, they don't. Right now, NC has a voluntary, permanent service dog registration the requirements of which are quite minimal. The ADA prevents anything more and, I imagine, it will for a very long time.

4- They are straight up deceiving these veterans about the laws and the costs of certifying their dog. The $50 fee, where does that go? The "trainer"? Certainly not the state.

They have an 80 question written exam the veteran must pass before they will certify the veteran's dog. They will kick a veteran out of their program if they do not help them raise funds. That's what disabled veterans need, for life to be made more difficult.

It is clear to me, they are not doing this for the vets or the dogs. They are taking advantage of people conditioned to follow orders and taking money from people in the name vets and dogs. They stick a bunch handicap people in a crowded area with a sign that says they need money to help these people, then give that money to a woman for doing something that does not have to be done!

5- They recently changed their volunteer agreement, I'm trying to find the old one to see what the differences are. The veterans were not allowed to keep a copy of the new agreement, just sign and return, but my wife convinced one of the lower officers to give her a copy.

My wife is finally convinced that she and her dog simply need to pursue voluntary registration and get away from these people.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One place is http://archive.org/web/

You can also use Google cache http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache: xxxxx.xxx and replace xxxxx.xxx with ShadyDogs.org or whatever it is. But, I think that is only useful if the website is gone. However, if they changed the website when they changed the content (like, it was ShaDeeDawgs.org but now it's ShadyDogs.org).

19. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks, Rush. I'm can't come up with anything there. I guess cached web pages are a dead end.

I found the old training contract. In it they threaten to revoke a dog's certification if they do not continue to visit training every 6 months or more. I'm pretty sure that's bullshit and they can't do it.

I'm so glad my wife never took anything from these people. She provided her own dog, its vaccines and everything, vest and other equipment. A lot of other veterans use a donated dog, gear and have the group pay for shots and a spay or neuter. The contract states they will take all that back if they don't keep showing up for training and fundraisers.

#739 Fiveslide, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they've changed, it may be because they know they are under or about to be under closer scrutiny - maybe there was some chatter on message boards or other complaints? You could check to see if they are listed with Better Business Bureau, and possibly see an ally there. Also, there are places you can look up non-profit information, since they may have filed tax exemption paperwork.
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/ and https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0074-giving-charity