Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

God Bless The Military

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Diablo, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ciao from Sigonella AFB in Sicily. Parts and mail run right now.

2. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought Sigonella was a NAS. If it's an AFB I need to figure out what the fuck I gotta do to get stationed there.

3. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And hola from NS Rota, Spain.

4. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Picked up Helicopter Aircraft Commander. After 590 flight hours and 5+ years, I am now responsible for a CH-53e Super Stallion and everyone in it.

5. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Double.

6. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

PME fucking sucks.

7. Slivers

Slivers
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Any Air Force people here that know anything about Aerospace control and warning systems?

I leave Dec 10 and from the looks of it CRC is the way to go

8. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Happy Veteran's Day everyone.

CRC?

9. Slivers

Slivers
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Yep. Control and Reporting Center (CRC) and Air and Space Operations Center(AOC) are the two classifications involved with Aerospace control and warning systems. As far as I've gathered at least.

10. Slivers

Slivers
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Welp, just finished tech school last week. Out-processing was a bitch, due to a mistake on paperwork and I ended up getting my orders two days before I graduated which made the whole ordeal a pain in the ass and rather stressful. I received distinguished grad so that was cool to receive an award based on academics. First time for everything I suppose. I got my orders and I'm spending the next 3 at Elemendorf AFB, Alaska. Anyone been?

11. monkey0726

monkey0726
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'll be PCSing to Lewis when I finish up Ranger. Any suggestions for a place to live? Anywhere closer to Seattle worth living?

12. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never been but I know a lot of people who have, nobody really has too much bad to say about Alaska aside from the people who don't like the cold. Just like any base it is what you make of it.

13. comforter

comforter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

About to have my first go-round with military movers - Any advice/things to do? Thanks in advance.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Get rid of anything you're going to get rid ahead of time of like food and toiletries. Put the things you are taking with you on the plane/car in a separate room that's off limits to the movers. The movers themselves were just fine. It was my first experience with movers but they are a private company, so if you've used movers before the experience should be similar.

I made a pizza for me and el husband but they ate it. I guess providing food is a plus?

15. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Keep in mind that they are the lowest bidders.

16. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Take before and after pictures of everything. Anything that is damaged will be paid for if there is proof that it was not like that to begin with. Anything that does not come off of that truck that was put on it will be paid for if there is proof.

Watch the movers pack up your stuff, if they protect it and box it up like a sane human being, rest a little easier.

Also, the same guys who pack up your stuff will not be the same ones who unpack your stuff.

Last, it will take a while for your stuff to get to you. Sometimes if you don't have much, the shipping company will wait for the truck to fill up with someone else's stuff before it goes anywhere. Expect about two-three weeks, so take with you what you need to be alright for that long, eg, blow up mattress, uniforms, clothes, basic cooking supplies.

17. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh yeah! Definitely take VIDEO of all your electronics working. TVs, Computers/monitors, etc. Just having a picture doesn't show exactly how it was working.

And if you are overseas like we were, expect more like 3-4months. We made sure to have our queen sized inflatable mattress, plenty of clothes, etc in there to help make the transition easier. When I moved over to Hawaii I made sure I had some basic pots and pans in my bags, too. It seriously helped more than you can know.

18. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even if you're just bringing a couple suitcases with your clothing/uniforms, etc, file for a partial DITY move. I guarantee you'll haul at least a couple hundred pounds or more of your own belongings (and shit the movers won't take like most cleaning supplies) that you have to haul anyway so you might as well get the additional cash. Just remember any of it not spent on moving expenses is taxable, so keep receipts and you will get a second W-2.

It cannot be said enough, document everything you own. Whether by pilferage or sincerely lost, shit will show up missing and a few items damaged. More often than not big ticket items will make it through the move just fine, but smaller value items will not. It's easy to figure out where a bigscreen TV 'fell off the truck' but harder to prove a mover stole something like an iPod. Over the years I've had small items like DVDs go missing up to the box with all of my kitchen items never arriving.

Also unless it's something they cannot ship (ammunition, flammable liquids, etc) they will pack EVERYTHING in sight, so like previously suggested put anything you don't want the movers taking in a separate room. Movers have packed full trashcans, to include the trashcans you 'rent' from the local trash company/municipality that you leave at the curb.

I highly recommend buying the movers lunch. Of course I can't say for sure that buying them lunch humanized me enough in their eyes to keep them from helping themselves to my crap, but the only time any of my items went missing is when my household goods had to go into long term storage. They won't always take you up on the offer, but the gesture itself often makes the day run much smoother.

19. BadBrains

BadBrains
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

20. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great Stolen Valor video from Ranger Up:

#700 AFHokie, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015