Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

God Bless The Military

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Diablo, Oct 19, 2009.

1. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ugh, another couple of my friends got hit yesterday. One is stable (he got shot in August, too), one has taken 40 units of blood since yesterday and is uncertain, and the other (a CPT) is dead. Green on blue at a shura in Warduk.

Stupid forgotten war.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Not military, but born, raised, and presently live in San Antonio (now on the northwest side) with my wife with no plans to ever move. We love it here. It's a fantastic city, and very family-friendly if you have one.

PM me if you have any questions at all.

3. Slivers

Slivers
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Well, I'm in the process of going through dual processing for the AF. I have to wait for the semester to end to finish up the process so I can have my finished transcripts. I'm at a 2.9, should finish up at around 3.0-3.1.

I thought the decision to join was difficult enough, but there are so many different options you are given. I don't even know if I want to go the officer route right off the bat, but I don't know. I'm probably looking to try and go into something associated with intel or the cyber route, but we'll have to see. I kind of want to be in field getting my hands a little dirty. My recruiter told me I should possibly look into flying. I'm topped out at about 5'4. but I hear my GPA would have to be higher to be competitive.

Got my ASVAB and physical next week, so we'll see how that goes.

4. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Greetings from Greece! Deployment is going awesome so far even though it's only a month into it. Ship life is fine, nothing special. People are still in good relations with each other, which is good. I'm doing well, put on a few pounds since beginning the deployment due to my workout regiment and have had a few cool flights so far. I can't tell you where but just know I am doing well. And thanks for the support!

5. twopy

twopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

http://new.livestream.com/Sub7/BestRanger2013

Live feed of this years Best Ranger Competition. My old section sergeant is competing so that's neat.

Unrelated note I'm out of the arm in 17 days. Although just moving over to the NG/Reserve side. If the Retention NCO can pull some strings I'll be signing an 88U contract. Railroad Operator. The 6 year old in me is jumping for joy at the possibility of being a train conductor.

6. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A gunfight a day for five straight days and it isn't even fighting season.

Looks like some I'm going to get to slay some motherfuckers after all.

7. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So I started reading Chris Kyle's autobiography last night, I've gotten about a quarter of the way through it so far and it's been a pretty good/quick read. Wanted to get people's opinion on how I should view the book. Take it with a grain of salt? It's all true?
    I've kind of assumed everything went pretty much how he tells it since he seems like he would be rather high profile and he would get outed on any lies pretty quickly, but stranger things have happened.

Anyone read it? Or have an opinion on it?

8. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well I'm glad we can agree on that one:

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone been to Bagram/Leatherneck?

I'm not sure which one I'm going to yet, but it's gonna be one of the two.

10. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Are you still in or are you going as a civilian?? BAF is the worst place on Earth, but if you're not in uniform it's probably not all that bad.

11. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, I'm going as a contractor. The job fit me perfectly, and the money was amazing, so I couldn't turn it down.

I have heard from friends/former coworkers that contractors get treated like shit...

12. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Saw this on another website. Just look at sgtmajor's face, he looks like he's trying to pull the trigger with his mind. What's even more hilarious is that not only is she pointing the pistol at herself, but she has the muzzle of her M16 resting on her gut. At least she's consistently stupid.

13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anybody out there in TRADOC land?? How are people taking the newest brand of mass punishment??

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I a friend of a friend claims to have served, but I'm thinking that may be untrue. Is there a way to check on this claim? Can I google them and will that pull something up if they served?

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I met a girl a couple years ago who claimed to have been in the Navy. She kept getting little details wrong, though. She said she'd gotten out as a chief, after being in for 7 years, which is flat fucking impossible. When I asked her what her rate was, she said "Chief". I called her out on it when we were drunk like a month later, and she confessed that she thought she'd never see me again, so she was just trying out some new backstory at the bar. I told her that (especially in that bar) telling people that you are former military if you weren't, when they were, is a very bad idea. It's like bluffing that you have the nuts in Texas Hold 'Em against someone that actually does have the nuts. You're gonna get busted.

What is it that's making you think this person wasn't in?

If they're claiming Navy, ask what their Rate was (not rank). Rate is a two letter (sometimes three if it starts with an A) designation that tells you what their job is. Rank would be E1-E9 for enlisted, rating would be that two letter code and most likely a number from 1 to 3 that corresponds with their rank. For instance when I got out, I was an ET2, electronics technician petty officer 2nd class (E-5), and I had just made ET1 (E-6), but I never even got frocked before I got out on terminal.

If they're claiming anything else, you can ask what their MOS was. Should be a number and a letter. The number is the field and the letter is the specialty within that field. You can then google that, see if it lines up with what they were talking about.

Most people who claim military that weren't will try to inflate what rank they supposedly had to make the story more interesting, and because the only ideass they have about rank structure come from movies. Movies like Transformers, where Tyrese Gibson is clearly in his early to mid 30s, and yet has somehow made E-9 already, and he hangs out with a Major, and they treat each other as if there is no difference between enlisted and officer. Or Battleship, where dude joins the Navy because his brother pulls some strings, and somehow a couple months later he's an O-3, a rank that requires a college degree and at least (if I remember right) four years of active service to attain.

16. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because I googled them when I smelled something wrong, and nothing came up. I know a half dozen people well who have served and they all pulled up as having served (mostly from their LinkedIn profiles, I knew they served but I was checking to see if it pulled up on a google search) she didn't. Her FB has no reference to having served at all, no photos, no posts, no friends commenting, no history nothing. I did my research and didn't come up with a whiff of anything. Also most people I know who've served are really quiet about it to people not from the community. The most I really ever hear is I was/am Army/Navy/ Marines, etc.

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Toytoy pointed out that it is technically possible to make E-9 by your mid 30s. I guess it is. My best friend made Senior Chief (ITCS, E-8) last year at 32, and he'll be up for E-9 at 35. But he's by far the fastest I've ever seen and let's be honest. If someone is actually an E-9 by that point, they're so good at their job that the stink of military will be all over them, and the question of whether they're really in will never come up.

18. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I googled my name and the only thing I found aside from Facebook and Twitter shit was like 4 pages in and I was in a listing of names of people that got selected for some award a while ago, I went a couple more pages after that to see if anything would turn up but that was it. If you don't know what you're looking for you might miss it.

Edit: I didn't realize you were talking about a chick. That kinds changes things because military posers are generally dudes claiming they were infantry or special forces or something. I've never heard of a woman doing it and since women can't really serve in the positions that male fakers usually claim it's a little different. What did she say or do that would make you think she's faking it?

19. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That doesn't mean anything at all, especially if his name is even somewhat common.

What service and is he claiming to still be in??

20. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The girlfriend is going into the Navy. She's taking her ASVAB on Monday and doing meps the week after. We've been talking about our relationship while she is in and she wants to stay together during the first two years "and see where it goes from there". If we're being completely honest I want to marry this girl, but she is very young and wants to see the world. At this point she doesn't know if she is ever going to come back to Texas aside from just visiting her family. She says that may change in four years and she may realize she misses the life she has here, but who knows.

Although I love this girl to my core and don't doubt her love for me, I realize she will be in a very confined environment with 8,000 other dudes, many of whom I imagine are cooler than I am. To deny this fact would be absolutely naive on my end. She would never cheat on me, but I also realize sometimes relationships develop in close quarters for better or worse. I've never really been in this situation before and don't have any friends with helpful advice when it comes to this sort of thing, so I'm turning to you guys.

Any advice on what I should expect? How do you keep yourself from going fucking crazy? Any general advice? I'm unsure if this feeling is completely normal or if this is stemming from insecurity on my part.