Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Give me all the food you can for 7 dollars please!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thevoice, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amberisma

amberisma
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Taco Bell is definitely my favorite. Nothing else even comes close. I fucking love cheese to begin with, so give it to me in a nacho cheese chalupa and chips and cheese from Taco Bell and I'll probably have sex with you.

Our taco bell at school is not really that close to campus though, and it is right in the ghetto so it is difficult to get most of the time, seeing as how everyone is always waaay too drunk to drive. We also have Cousin Vinny's down on campus, and their pizza is absolutely amazing when drunk...AWFUL when sober.

I mean...how can you turn down a Big Ten, which consists of a large pizza, breadsticks, and two drinks...all for $10 and some change? You can't. They also accept our schools ID card which my parents put money on, so it's almost a guarantee that I get it once a week. I have about 60 cups that I've kept from them over the years.

If no one gets CV's though, I basically eat anything salty that is within reach. Sweet food while drinking is fucking disgusting. I've taken down bags of chips with friends, chex mix, taquitos, anything that can easily be made. I have also made grilled cheese a few times and once I left the burner on afterward. Oops. This eating anything and everything in site while drinking has become a major issue when it comes to working out, but apparently my drunk self doesn't care. Drunk amberisma is just a fucking fat ass beast.

2. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Around here, I would have to say Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers was the drunk food of choice. Delicious chicken and Texas Toast, dipped in Cane's Sauce is the perfect end to a night of drinking. Not exactly the cheapest route though.

Towards the end of last year they put in a Five Guys a stone's throw from my apartment, and while they are my absolute favorite burger place and were wonderful drunk food, it would absolutely destroy my wallet. So good but so expensive.

3. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Richard Jeni said it best. "There's nothing in life lower than a Denny's sausage."

I'm reasonably sure that we can extrapolate that everything else served there is absolute shit. Being open 24 hours a day simply doesn't make for good food, or high standards.

To each their own, I guess.

4. thatone

thatone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[​IMG]

If you're ever walking through the Balkans, early in the morning and drunk off your ass, consider yourself lucky if you ever walk past a bakery selling these handfuls of meat-wrapped-in-pastry awesome. Best thing to eat whilst drunk EVER.

5. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This morning I came home at 5am, fairly drunk on some excellent brandy and bourbon. Instead of going to sleep, I made this:

Ham and Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients:

2 slices of Panini bread
    2 slices of ham (I prefer Proscuitto di Parma, but any ham or bacon will do)
    1 slice of brie (this is a personal preference although any cheap brie will suffice)
    1 egg
    1/2 shot of butterscotch liqueur (optional)
    1/4 teaspoon of cracked black pepper
    pinch of garlic powder
    2 pats of butter
    1 leaf of radicchio lettuce

Using medium high heat, melt a pat of butter in a cast iron (or regular pan). Once melted and hot, throw in the radicchio and leave in about 30-45 seconds or until the leaf begins to wilt and becomes soft. Take leaf out of skillet and let sit on a paper towel. Turn off heat.

In a bowl, crack the egg and beat the fuck out of it with a whisk or fork to a fluffy consistency. Add in spices and
    liqueur and blend ingredients.

Dip the inside part of both slices of the Panini (the part that won't be pressed) into the egg. Only dip in enough so the outside is coated.

Once the bread is coated, throw them on the skillet and cook under medium heat until the eggs look cooked on the outside of the bread like French toast.

Dress the bread with the ham on the bottom, brie next and top it with the leaf of radicchio. Melt 2nd pat of butter on skillet and grill the sandwich on the stove. Grill the top first to start the liquification of the brie, about 2 minutes. Turn it over and grill it again.

To press the sandwich you don't need an expensive machine, just a spatula and some muscle. What pressing the sandwich does will allow all the flavors to meld easily. Press it over the middle for about a minute and then press the sides until the sandwich is pressed equally. This should take all of 3 minutes.

Cut in half and enjoy.

I know this sounds complicated to achieve while you are drunk, but it's not. It takes less than 10 minutes and is worth every second. Not only do you have a tasty sandwich, but you have the ingredients necessary to cut down any hangover time you might incur the next day.

However, if I'm out and it's available, I completely recommend a cup of Queso dip from Moe's Southwestern Grill. It's got a perfect consistency with enough heat from jalapeno peppers to keep you happy.

6. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Keeping true to my love of fried eggs, my newest drunk concoction is a fried egg served over a slice of bacon pizza, with a side of bacon... there are just no words to describe the greatness of this meal

7. BigChops

BigChops
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Being from the Detroit area, we have an abundance of "after 2 AM" dining choices. Most notabley Coney Island restaurants, Rams Horn, and even the Denny's around here are decent. These "Coney Island" places offer the best of the best in terms of 24 hour diner foods, anything from chili dogs and chili cheese fries, Greek and Mexican foods, to an omelete and breakfast selection that would make your grandma proud. Usually, I go right for the breakfast combo plate, that includes eggs, sausage, pancakes and cheese hashbrowns. Sometimes if I'm feeling extra adventerous, I'll get the biscuits covered in sausage gravy. You can usually get anything you want at these places for under $7 a plate too.

Taco Bell is a much quicker and cheaper alternative. I don't get all the TB hate being tossed out there, maybe its a regional thing. Yes I realize that it is as close to real Mexican food as Spagehtti O's are to Italian, but it is still delicious and is a lot better for you than eating at McDs or BK.

8. hiphopguru

hiphopguru
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

in my city there's a place called La Bamba. their slogan brags that they make "burritos as big as your head." Not only is this slogan true but they stay open until like 9 or 10am. A giantass burrito at 6in the morning after a night of hard drinking is a beautiful beautiful thing.

sidenote: where'd this sudden influx of europeans come from? i'm not hating, I mean I love gyros and babaganouj but i'm still might suprised to see these things being brought up in this thread. Rock on I guess guys, do your thing.

9. Saint

Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

$1.00 carne asada tacos off the taco truck.

Too many people look down on the majesty that is the mobile Mexican restaurant. At 2am, when you are drunk as hell there is nothing better. People of all races and walks of life are lined up on the corner in the shitty part of town, in front of a tire shop for a paper plate of those silver dollar sized tacos. All prejudices are temporarily suspended as everyone drunkenly feasts on what is arguably the best drunk food ever. If you are unlucky enough to be one of the states that do not yet have a sufficient population of Mexicans to have a 2am taco truck….I weep for you.

10. hiphopguru

hiphopguru
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

see we may not have a taco truck. But like I mentioned before, I can have a burrito as big as my cranium... don't weep for me my friend.

11. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    I don't know why, but I am thoroughly entertained by this sentence. Maybe it's the bizarre combination of culinary distaste and xenophobia all rolled into one, maybe it's the implication that somehow a restaurant that is ultimately an American cardboard-cutout of Mexican cuisine is lower quality food than that cooked by those actually from Mexico is somehow ironic instead of just obvious, or maybe it's the implication that apparently the more Ballsack hates you the shittier your cooking should therefore be and this is not the case then it's ironic.

I don't really know, but something about that sentence has me grinning.

On the other hand, "Taco Bell" (Which I would assume to be the bell rung at the church to signify that the priests are having a fiesta with sombreros and shitty Mexican knockoff cuisine) is a homonym for "Taco Belle" for which I'm imagining a 19th century southern belle in a giant taco outfit.

Focus: Taco Bell doesn't hold a candle to Freebirds. One order of $10 nachos is saturated with deliciousness and serves either 3 people, or one person 3 times. I've lived on a single order of nachos for an entire day several times in the past. While $10 is expensive for a single meal it's damn cheap for 24 hours worth of satisfaction.

12. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For me its USUALLY chicken wings, but there's a threshold where negotiating the bones becomes too tough for my drink-addled brain. At that point its gotta be chinese food - I'm still let down that the chain I used to order from online (I had pre-saved drunk orders) is out of business so now I need to negotiate with the phone for delivery.

13. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Undoubtedly Sunrise Chip n' Ranch, formerly known as Johnnie's Roti. For about R40 ($5 U.S. or so), you can leave with one gigantic roti cut in half (I have never seen anyone eat a whole one - it weighs about 5 lbs.) and 2 soft drinks. There's plenty of different fillings, but the one to get is the chip with triple cheese, mutton curry gravy and tomato sauce (it isn't ketchup and bears no resemblance to ketchup*). It is possibly the greatest drunk food on the planet.

There's even a Facebook group devoted to the place...**

*Yes, I would know what ketchup looks like - we get Heinz ketchup here, after all.

**I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

14. Mild Sedative

Mild Sedative
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The norm at my college is to wake up whoever is sober in the wee hours of the morning and force them to drive us to Sheetz. For those who don't know, Sheetz is basically a gas station with a made-to-order kitchen in the back. They do everything from hot dogs to nachos to flatbread sandwiches. It's wonderful to stumble in and spend five bucks on an armful of hot food.

Once I had the terrible experience of being the sober one. In the summer I slept in boxers, and two guys came into my room, literally threw me over their shoulders and carried me to one of their cars to drive them to get food.

15. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the miracle of WaWa yet. Outside of Bon Jovi it may be the only thing decent in the state of New Jersey.

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Then I must be a closet Canadian. The menu choices at Taco Hell revolve around various ways to present meat scooped out of a gallon can, topped with a viscous orange substance laughably called "cheese". The thought of eating any of that slop they call food makes my guts twist.

Far superior drunk food to either Taco bell or McD's is an order of fries and gravy from nearly any diner. That, or a Philly cheese steak, loaded with onions and peppers.

17. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God I love Taco Bell. I am in recovery of a 5 day bender at my uncles farm in rural KY. Each day was a blur of homemade wine, moonshine, whiskey, cheap beer and half a dozen trips to the one fast food place within 30 miles, Taco Bell.

I thank them for being the sole reason I live this day.

The Grande Soft Taco is my go to: A taco with double beef, cheese and lettuce, wrapped in another soft shell with nacho cheese in the middle. Its not on most menus, but costs about $1.25. Amazing.

The beef and potato burrito is also a must have.

18. DrinksOnTheHouse

DrinksOnTheHouse
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Over the weekend, after last call in North Beach (in SF), I discovered a Viet Namese greasy spoon lunch counter that all the Asians were at. When my buddy headed to Sams for corn dogs, I decided to just have someone order for me. I wound up getting a plate full of rice with a grilled pork chop as big as my face on top and two fried eggs perched on top of that. I made the mistake of also ordering the Imperial Rolls (kind of like egg rolls, but better) not realizing (a) how big my main course was and (b) two of those come in an order. I drenched everything in Sriracha and went to town on that.

I live in the Mission, which is where I do most of my drinking though. On those occasions, I typically stop off at a taqueria before bed with El Farolito being my favorite option that is open late night. Then it is a decision of the awesome shrimp burrito, where they drop a ton of huge prawns in a shitload of butter, and put those bad boys in a tortilla with beans, rice, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and hunks of avocado or I will get the Chile Relleno burrito which is the same thing, except instead of the shrimp, a big green chile stuffed with cheese that oozes with each bite.

That or I will get the street meat, which is a hot dog wrapped in bacon grilled up and put in a bun with jalapenos, grilled onions, and whatever sauce you want. For a while, I think SF was cracking down on the street meat which made me mad at night, but happy the next morning.

If you are referring to the Freebirds in IV, then I weep for your gringo-loving burrito ways. I have heard that TA's (Tio Albertos) is no longer in IV, but good god, isn't the Cantina with its awesome fajita burrito still there?

19. Slambrarian

Slambrarian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If I am in North Jersey/NYC, it's White Castle (see above), if I am in Philly it's Pat's (not Geno's) for cheese steaks (although I no longer eat them, everyone I hang out with does, so I enjoy their cheese fries instead). Or we just hit a diner and it's grilled cheese (with swiss, sometimes tomatoes) and french fries with BBQ sauce or honey mustard. That is the way to end a night of drinking. McDonald's or Wawa if nothing else is available/too far.

20. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Garbage Plate
    [​IMG]

Mac salad, topped with home fries, topped with onions, topped with choice of meats, topped with (meat) hot sauce, topped with ketchup, mustard, and more hot sauce. Served with bread. The next morning shit is no fun though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.