Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

"Gin a body meet a body" J.D. Salinger dead at 91

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LucasJackson, Jan 28, 2010.

1. hiphopguru

hiphopguru
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I loved Catcher in the Rye... I loved Franny and Zoey.... They all were just amazing pieces of literary genius.
    I hope they take that big vault of his writings though and just burn it up. Something about reading something no one ever wanted you to see likes that just makes me feel wrong.

2. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I disagree, sure it's it's invading his privacy but he's worm meat now it doesn't matter. His books and ideas can help the world, or at the very least add to the canon. Kafka didn't want his books published either but he co-spawned an entire genre of modernist literature post-humorously.

3. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am not sure how many of you have seen Igby Goes Down, but it is a very good movie that was supposedly based on Catcher in the Rye. If you haven't seen it I encourage you to check it out.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Supposedly for the past however many years, he has been writing and categorizing his work as such:

1) Not finished
    2) Publish as is if I die
    3) Publish with editing

So if we believe the sources (his daughter, I believe), he has multiple works that he considered ready-to-be-published.

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ed Zachary.

I own it, I recognize it's value in the American Literative Canon, but I thought it was a piece of shit.

6. abneretta

abneretta
    Expand Collapse
    Shenanigator

We had to read this Junior year in High School. At the time I thought it was the best thing to happen to literature. I still consider it one of my favorite books. Judge me as you will.

7. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Onion's take:
    Bunch of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger.

I only read Catcher once, and it was quite a while ago, but I did call it my favorite book for a little while. I still consider it a classic.

8. Assur

Assur
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Accounts vary about the number and condition of his unpublished manuscripts, but his daughter's memoir seems to suggest that he wasn't one of those "burn it all when I die" authors, he just hated the hassle of publishing and had already secured a lifetime income in royalties. But, who knows what has changed since the memoir, what his will says, what his agent says, what his kids and wife say, what happens with his stuff at Princeton, etc. Look at what happened with MLK and Arthur Miller's papers. I really hope that his later writings get published in a timely manner.

Its sad that PTSD can so fuck up some really awesome people. R.I.P. J.D.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently he labeled manuscripts with colourcodes such as "ready to publish when i die" and "edit first then publish"

10. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As I got older I got away from Catcher in the Rye, but I read it twice in high school, once for a class. My favorite book, really, was Franny and Zooey. I loved, loved, loved that bastard Franny. That guy could make me laugh.

Impressionable soul that I am, I really liked Salinger's work because they were so imitable. It was so easy and natural to rub off on his voice and his prose, and they could instill in you a real youthful energy. I guess the real irony is that that makes me a phony and in fact a point of scorn for Holden Caufield, but hey, that's literature.

11. fishysticks

fishysticks
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Was sad news to me. Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book of all time, and my oldest son is named Holden after (of course) Holden Caulfield. I actually get really sad, shocked and confused when people ask me how I got his name, and then give me a puzzled look when I tell them it's from that book- as though they've never heard of it.

Others who HAVE read it have said I was setting myself up for disaster by naming him that. So far.. sort of true. Very stubborn, strong willed 2 year old I have.

My one fear now is life imitating art, because my Holden has a younger brother as well. A younger brother who right now is pretty damn sick (so say the doctors. He's happy as can be, just won't eat).

12. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's like naming your kid Orenthal James or Adolf or Mark David Chapman. Keep a watchful eye for when he starts calling people phonies.

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of my "friends" named his new son Holden, after the J.D. Salinger character. I sincerely hope that the new Holden isn't as much of an asshole as the character, or his parents, for that matter.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can only hope he turns out to be like the purported origin of the name, William Holden, and die by bashing his head on a table when drunk.

15. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    From Lamebook.com:
    [​IMG]

16. Black Sheep Dog

Black Sheep Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This is kind of off topic, but has anyone read Catcher in the Wry? The Bob Uecker biography? It's actually very entertaining.