Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Get a degree they said, it would be helpful they said

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, May 23, 2014.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do not send her to Korea. The ESL fad here is cooling off in a big way. My school is going under and my girlfriend's public school hasn't paid them on time in 3 months. Also, for 99% of ESL jobs they require a college degree, if not for employability then to be taken seriously.

However, this is something that more HS kids should consider: fuck choosing a career at 17, go travel and get some meaningful experiences before you plunk down $40k in debt. Nearly all of my friends who did this, in a variety of ways, agree that it was much better than fucking around in English 101 and gaining 15 pounds.

2. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The hookup she has in Korea for work is extremely legitimate - that helps a little bit. The thing I've been talking to her about is that she has options where she can stretch her wings and fly and flounder and fly again for a bit before she commits to being a full fledged working stiff grownup.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Neighbors

Well, Ann Hornaday wants you to know that that is all Seth Rogen's fault. But, please don't kill people.

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My biggest beef with university is how ill-prepared a high school student is to make that kind of decision, and how little help most parents and guidance counselors are during the process. It has become such a competition that nobody actually pauses to consider what they come out the other side of school with.

So all of these high school students are told: do well in high school, go to a good college. They get told this over and over again, so they apply to the best universities that they might get into. The acceptance letters come, they pick the best school that accepted them, and go. Parents, guidance counselors, teachers all encourage this. "Oh, you got into Cornell? How wonderful to get into such a good school!"

Only, a good university might not matter with a lot of degrees. If you're absolutely sure about your career path, and you can get into a top 10 school in that field, it might be worth it to mortgage your future. If you're definitely going to be an engineer, and you got into MIT, maybe those student loans will provide value. But most 17 year olds are not absolutely sure, so college is a time of exploration. Which is wonderful when exploration is not costing you, yearly, the cost of a decent car.

Enjoy that 2.6 GPA in sociology while you're working off your $100,000 NYU education as a barista.

Trade schools, taking time off, community colleges and cheaper state schools are all looked at as something you settle for instead of the best choice for a lot of people. I took some time off, eventually went back to a respectable and inexpensive state school, and graduated with a useful degree as a straight-A student because I did most of my partying and exploring before it affected my education investment.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With what money though? Thankfully my parents had a situation set up when it came time for college, but if they hadn't, I cant see them tossing me a couple grand to "travel" or whatnot. I think the European idea of a "gap year" is fantastic, and helps kids get more focused and mature a bit before college, but I dont know if most kids are set for that in the US either.

That's a bit obtuse. I mean, is it any different than Animal House, or Revenge of the Nerds, or any other college glorifying movie over the last 30 years?

Kids may be disappointed they aren't getting laid every weekend and their weeknights aren't a video out of a DareDorm shoot, but they can also learn that not everyone is pigeonholed from age 15-18 and they have they opportunity to do something different with their life, socially, academically, physically. There is no other time in your life where you will have the opportunity to completely reinvent yourself in an easier or low impact way than your first year of college. Moving to a new city, getting a new job, etc... are all "blank slate" opportunities later in life, but never will you find a more agile group of people in a similar boat to you than in college. Except for the idiots in HS long distance relationships and people with HS cliques carrying on to college, by and large, everyone else is as open to whatever as you are. And that is coming from someone who didn't go to a college with a very diverse student body and who, despite loving the college more than anything, had significant gripes with some of the social dynamics. But the overlying points were obvious and have increasingly become more apparent the longer I've been out.

6. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with some of that. But echoing my prior post, I don't know where this exploration is coming from. Looking from my suburban upbringing lens, I don't see what value going to a community college or taking time off to work would have done. Living at home stunts your social growth in that scenario. and I don't know how many jobs a newly graduated HS 18 year old kid is going to get to encourage them to go live on their own for awhile. I had a "break" semester due to some academic issues when I was in college, took classes at a CC when living at home and I can tell you the non-academic benefits I got were 1/10th of what I got away at school, if that. And I was highly motivated cause I was looking for anything to make me feel less isolated and miserable. Its just different. I'm interested to see stats (i doubt they exist) on how kids transition from CCs to 4 year institutions cause at least in the Midwest, the academic and social experiences are night and day.

I guess my point is it is much more gray than black and white. Some kids have it all together and go to college and fall apart. Some kids figure their shit out and make the most of a good situation. My biggest theme I agree with is a major that means something. Whether it be for grad school or for a career. And guidance counselors need to fully assist in that.

7. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm a few months away from earning my B.S. in Criminal Justice and have actively been looking for work in pretty much all related fields like DHS, local and state agencies as well as fire departments.

I never finished high school because I moved after my sophomore year and just really didn't want to go back because I was a lazy shithead and decided to get my GED instead. Worked shit jobs for a while after that until I finally realized I would be spinning my wheels like that forever if I didn't do something, so I joined the Navy and left. I was in the aviation field and learned how to troubleshoot electronics which eventually got me a job at Gulfstream that I had to walk away from. I realized that even though I could make good money there, I was never really happy with what I was doing and brought back the sinking feelings every morning of waking up and not wanting to be there at all.

So I decided to go back and finish my degree and move into a field that interests me more than chasing wires ever could. Thankfully, I've been going to school using my GI Bill and haven't paid a cent in tuition at all. If I'm not able to land a job in my degree field, I have been in steady contact with military recruiters to go back active duty as an officer. Much better quality of life and MUCH better pay than being enlisted. I enjoyed my time in the military and if it hadn't been for some paperwork fuckery, I'd still be in. Worked out in the end though because now I'm extremely close to finishing something that I never thought was for me.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, how can you say this:
    And then say this:
    Yes. It's gray. That's entirely my point. Some people might not get value from working or going to CC. Clearly, I gleaned a lot of value from it - I made a bunch of friends, drank and partied a lot, and lived on my own, figured out what type of IT work I was most interested in, all without being at a university, and it set me up to succeed when I did go. You clearly had a different experience, and that's fine, but you not seeing the value doesn't mean there isn't any. Students are generally not presented with the idea of entering the workforce, or going to a CC, except as a last resort when you didn't get into school/can't afford school/are a burnout/etc.

I just think there are a lot of people out there who would benefit from a different approach to school and that approach isn't being given its due consideration.

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was saying that you take kids coming from a white collar upbringing where going to college is expected, that sort of perspective is going to be skewed. Those are the kids that are going to be going to good to great schools, but potentially waste it. I'm of the camp that thinks 1) there are too many fucking colleges in general and 2) there needs to be better pre-college counseling.

I think we are both dancing around the same point. I just know kids that fall into the area that we talked about that wouldnt have had benefit. People can feel to correct me, but for a kid that is at an intelligence level that would get them into a "respected" college, I feel like the academic experience at CC wouldn't be helpful for figuring stuff out, but rather frustrating and demotivating. I went from studying a decent amount and still struggling at college academics to spending that semester at home at a CC studying literally a third as much and getting a 3.9. I wasn't motivated except for being frustrated that it wasn't a worthwhile use of my time and didn't want to end up back there. My sisters both had similar experiences, albeit while taking summer courses.

The work angle is different, but kids I know who went in that direction, whether in the service industry or whatnot, never ended up going back to school, which is fine when you're 22 but what about when you're 32. I guess I see the same immaturity that prevents kids from fully appreciating a college opportunity also preventing them from making productive use of post HS freedom as development. You made it happen, but I imagine you probably would have done the same if you went right to college.