Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Sports Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Whether it's Tiger Woods getting clubbed in the face by an angry (yet hot) Swedish chick, or some other topic not worthy of a thread in and of itself, post/discuss it here.

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

TIGER WOODS

As much as I don't agree with his behavior I find some of the media and general reactions ridiculous. This is not Barry Bonds, Pete Rose or even Bill Clinton, meaning the scandal he is involved in has nothing to do with why he is famous. He did not take any illegal or banned performance enhancing drugs. He did not bet on his sport, and he didn't fondle a young intern in the oval office.

My point is that he does not owe the public an explanation. I can understand if some sponsors drop him because his "wholesome" image is tarnished. However I still will watch him in all the Master's and be let down if he does not play in them.

I also foolishly made the comment to my wife about how I can "understand where he was coming from." I know, I know very dumb. I just meant that if I was travelling around the world, and almost every city I stopped in a gorgeous women was throwing herself at me I MAY have troubles staying faithful. I love my wife very much and would never stray, luckily when I go out of town cute young waitresses don't go "oh my god are you Mike Ness the banker from Philly??!!!??? "Here is my number!!" The high profile athletes however get more attention then we can imagine.

Ladies before you shower me with neg reps please understand I think what he did was lousy (especially because she was pregnant) but I can understand the temptation.

All in all I'm sick of the story and want it to go away. I also really hope that the best Golfer and arguably one of the best athletes of our generation does not stop playing because he was so dumb and cheated on his gorgeous sweedish wife.

3. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was half-listening to Mike&Mike this morning and they were talking about a doctor that worked with Woods on some recent injury having recently gotten arrested crossing the US-Canada border bringing in a good amount of HGH and some other medication/(PED?) I'd never heard of.

Might be nothing, but there's a chance the wheels are going to totally fall off his image and maybe career.

4. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In regard to the Tiger Woods situation, these excerpts from Why Beautiful People Have More Daughters that address Clinton's affair a decade ago can apply here:
    Now, I'm not saying that Tiger works on his tee shots with the intent of being rewarded by blowjobs, but can anyone honestly say they're surprised that he's been with other women? We're a sexual species; it's what we do. If I was the richest, highest-profiled athlete in the world, I'd probably have done the same thing.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

JAKE LOCKER

I really think this guy should have came out in the draft. I understand all the points that were made why he should go back for the final year; I just think if your team is not going to be a national contender your better off going pro and being the number one quarter back drafted!

Experts point out that most (if not all) franchise QB's had four years in collage. It gives you another year to perfect your mechanics and more time to learn how to read defenses. They also point out that he would probably end up at St. Louis or one of the other dreadfull teams currently the NFL.

My point is he's going to end up on a crappy team anyway, why not get the money. Take the cases of Matt Leinhart and Sam Bradford, Leinhart probably cost himself anywhere from 10-20 million by not coming out and Bradford hurt his shoulder.

I'm not saying that you should always come out early if you can (see JaMarcus Russell) but in this case I think he should, simply because the draft is not that QB heavy. Next year you could have Colt McCoy and maybe even Andrew Luck out of Stanford. Even if Locker failed in the NFL he would still have plenty of cash from going in the top five of the NFL.

Thoughts????

6. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's a balancing act between the chance your stock falls (also this year adds the chance that the 2011 draft will have a real rookie cap or slotting) and the pretty dramatic increase in success between QBs that go early vs staying for a senior year. They are risking a smaller rookie contract, but they are upping their odds of a 2nd contract that'll dwarf any rookie deal.

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

SPORTS CENTER-

We love it, I watch it every day. However I found myself dumbstruck when a good friend of mine started complaining about it. "It's like TMZ for athletes, they exaggerate stories just like every other cheap news source." His examples were the Brett Farve, Childress sideline fight. He said they should be reporting on scores and hard facts that are avialable, there are endless stats available to us that they could go over. I argued with him that stats are hardly that interesting, he replied with "but Tom Brady talking to Randy Moss which subsequently lead into Moss possibly quitting on routes is INTERESTING??"

He actually made some very good points. I do find myself changing my beloved sports center if another Tiger Woods story came on, or as if in the summer they went back to the dreaded "Farve Watch."

It is quite obvious that instead of reporting on collage basketball scores we will get stuck with three stories and Merril Hodges opinion of why Bill Bellichek should have punted against the Colts. Sportscenter definetely has it's "cast of characters" for example in any golf tournament you may see a Tiger Woods highlight when he is in twelve place instead of the golfer who is winning the tournament.

My post is not about WHY sportscenter does this, we all know that the Kobs'e, Farve's, A-Rod's ect....get ratings. My question and point is, as an all sports network should they concentrate less on Tiger Wood's mistress's and more on............sports?

All in all I love sports center, I understand the points he made but will always tune in every morning!!!

Thoughts????

8. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The unfortunate thing about SportsCenter is that it's been way more about ratings than scores and highlights for a number of years now. It's essentially become a sports version of the Today Show. As nice as it'd be to see highlights from all the games on a given night, more people apparently tune in to see a 5 minute highlight/discussion/debate about the Kobe vs. LeBron matchup 3 days from now, Favre-watch, Tiger Woods' penis, or Notre Dame continuing to flush their program down the shitter.

I still watch SportsCenter every now and then if it's late or if there's nothing on, but as far as scores and highlights, it seems like ESPNNews has pretty much taken over that role for the network. Not the worst thing in the world, but these days I'll usually just check online if I want scores and highlights

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

MIKE LEACH

I have no idea why on earth you would ever stick a player in a closet or an equipment shed. Regardless of what finally comes out in this story that type of punishment has no place in division 1 sports; or any sports in general. Make them run, scream at them, run some more, whatever....but lock them in a closet? I just don't get it.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2010/1/3/1232078/thoughts-on-the-mike-leach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2010/1/3/1 ... mike-leach</a>

FOCUS: what is everyone's thought's on Mike Leach as well as the aggressive coaching styles associated with many big time football programs.

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: MIKE LEACH

I saw an interview on espn yesterday where Leach claimed he didn't even know the kid was sent to the shed. I don't think I believe that, but I've also considered the scenario where he sent the kid (primadonna) there for a couple hours to think about his behavior, with trainers around to speak with. That would be ok in my mind. I don't think any of us know what really happened. My guess is it was just an ongoing disagreement with management over his methods and this was their excuse to fire him. I can't help but feel bad for Texas Tech. I'll be surprised if their program is as competitive in the coming years.

Edit: This isn't the interview I was talking about, but it's probably better.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is what is so confusing about the situation, you would think the directors at Texas Tech would do whatever they could to keep Leach, he completely turned the team around. I know there were rumors about problems with money ect....but my feeling is Leach did something pretty bad and they knew it so they HAD to fire him.

12. shake n bake

shake n bake
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Leach squeezed them HARD in contract talks. They were pissed with him and wanted out of that contract. How much that played into the firing you can't really know.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is what I have heard/ read. Hard to argue with his production however, he turned them into a strong program. Not an easy thing to do in Texas when your not the Longhorns.

I'm not disagreeing with you, we just do not have all the facts that is for sure.

Not a bad tenure...........

Head coaching record
    Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl Coaches# AP°
    Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2000–present)
    2000 Texas Tech 7–6 3–5 4th (South) L galleryfurniture.com
    2001 Texas Tech 7–5 4–4 T–3rd (South) L Alamo
    2002 Texas Tech 9–5 5–3 T–2nd (South) W Tangerine
    2003 Texas Tech 8–5 4–4 4th (South) W Houston
    2004 Texas Tech 8–4 5–3 T–3rd (South) W Holiday 17 18
    2005 Texas Tech 9–3 6–2 T–2nd (South) L Cotton 19 20
    2006 Texas Tech 8–5 4–4 4th (South) W Insight
    2007 Texas Tech 9–4 4–4 T–3rd (South) W Gator 23 22
    2008 Texas Tech 11–2 7–1 T–1st (South) L Cotton 12 12
    2009 Texas Tech 8–4 5–3 3rd (South) Alamo*
    Texas Tech: 84–43 47–33 *Alamo Bowl was coached by Ruffin McNeill.
    Total: 84–43

14. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sports Performance

I wrote a guest post for The HardBall Times about anxiety and performance on the field. You can check it out here:

http://shrinktalk.net/?p=551

They have some great material over there, so I'd recommend poking around their site if you're a baseball fan.

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well Woods placed fourth in the Master's, in my opinion he's well on his track to being back in the public grace.

America loves a winner and they have a short memory, I don't think it will take long.

However he will be watched like a hawk now so if he get's caught cheating again it will be on the front page of every paper in the country. Who knows? Maybe he will just end up like Charlie Sheen and everyone will just accept that he sleeps around!

16. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Figured it didn't need a new thread, but I still wanted to post it up.

What's your jersey collection look like? Between my brother and I we probably have 50 or so jerseys - only about 10 of them collectible or authentic though. Here are my top ones:

1. 2008/2009 USA Men's National Soccer team home white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First soccer jersey I bought after the Confederations Cup last summer. Big fan of Bradley and the jersey itself is tight. Glad I spent the extra to get it customized. "USA" on the back collar and "Don't Tread on Me" on the inside of the collar.

2. New York Rangers (bought in 08) Authentic "home" Blue.

[​IMG]

I was pissed when Avery left and went to Dallas. I was ecstatic when he came back to NY. Say what you want about the kind of hockey he plays, but I'm just a big fan. Ironically my style of play is probably the complete opposite of his. A little big (got a L) cause I thought I would wear it while playing.

3. Late 90's CCM NYR Home White. (Also have the away Blue but its blank on the back)

[​IMG]

My Aunt was cleaning out her Attic and found this and rightly gave it to me. I met one of my ex girl-friends while wearing this jersey out (Haven't worn it out since -- might have to try it again but I'll feel way more douchey than when I did it as a freshmen). Has beer stains from others wearing it to games but is still a great jersey. Fits way better than the Avery.

4. Late 90's CCM NYR Liberty third.

[​IMG]

My first jersey that was bought for me not to play hockey. Got for an Easter present when I was like 10. Little small now but it still gets use when we go to games.

I've never been a fan of wearing a jersey out right after your team wins or whatever, but I think I'm gonna wear the white Rangers jersey out next Friday (last night at school). I'll feel like Snoop Dog again.

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Phil wins and Tiger places out of the top five Phil will be the number one golfer in the world.

A hell of allot easier said than done..................

18. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

How the fuck does anyone watch hockey on television? This is not me being an asshole, I can never see the puck.
    I'd really love to be able to watch a game, I just can't tell what the hell is ever going on.
    There has to be some kind of trick right?

19. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Trick number one is go back 15 years to when Fox had the glow puck. Trick two is get an HD tv. Sometimes I still can't see the puck, but I've watched enough hockey in my day to know where the puck is going based on how it was shot and what the players are doing.

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tiger Woods started this thread, Tiger Woods will revive this thread after a few dead months. There's no Golf thread for good fucking reason. Anyway, Tiger Woods is back to dominating. A mere 48 hours after his divorce, Tiger Woods is dominating again. He probably went out, got a Boost mobile phone and called all his bitches back. Welcome back Tiger.