Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2011

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Arms Akimbo, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Ten Drink Drunk

Ten Drink Drunk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I am in a 10 team league with pretty typical scoring, no PPR. I drafted Antonio Gates and need to plug in another TE for this week, but am unsure of who to drop. Here's my roster:

QB Ben Roethlisberger
    WR Roddy White
    WR Santana Moss
    WR A.J. Green
    RB Rashard Mendenhall
    RB Ryan Mathews
    TE Antonio Gates
    BN Reggie Wayne
    BN Cedric Benson
    BN Shonn Greene
    BN Daniel Thomas
    BN Joe Flacco
    K Adam Vinatieri
    DEF Tennessee

I am leaning towards dropping Benson assuming he gets suspended for the next few weeks, but would really prefer to give my bench some more time to get going this year. I would have tried to engineer a trade that included a TE or cleared some bench space if I had been more on the ball early in the week, but it's too late now.

Any suggestions on who to drop that wont have me kicking myself in a few weeks?

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, your depth is fine. Beanie is banged up, too, so keep that in mind (he isn't sure to play this week). Beanie will likely end the season as a solid RB2, but he won't crack the top 12, so it won't be worth giving up your best WR.

On that note, it is my firm opinion that in an era where RBs are by committee and passing attacks are so prolific, it is more important to have a strong set of WR than a strong set of RBs.

In one league I have Andre Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Mario Manningham, and Malcolm Floyd as my WR, with Darren Sproles, Beanie Wells, Felix Jones, and Shonn Green rotating through my RB slots, and I'm 2-1 (would be 3-0 were it not for awful luck). I can count on the Johnsons to rip it up, while getting whatever I can from my RB slots.

There are also a lot of people freaking out about RB depth, so I am seriously considering trying to make a trade offer for Calvin Johnson (because having 3 receivers named Johnson would be awesome, too). I'm thinking of offering up Beanie (who gets the most consistent touches) and Manningham for Calvin Johnson, just to see what happens. He'll probably take it. He is a sucker for QB/WR combos (and he has Eli), and he is already panicking at 1-2.

3. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Tough situation, but I'd probably let go of Flacco. The Ravens play the Jets tomorrow and have a bye week on Week 5, so you won't be using him for a while anyways. The other players on your bench are more useful in the short term.

Your RBs are solid but Mendy is having a hard time running the ball, given the Steelers O-Line issues, and Mathews is an injury risk. So, it's good that you have that depth on your bench. You probably also don't want to get rid of Wayne.

4. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck Mike Shanahan right in his worthless, shit-eating, fantasy hating face. I mean, I appreciate the win for the Skins and all that, but seriously. Fuck. You.

Asshole.

5. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck Garçon. I was winning by 23 points going into MNF. Horseshit.

6. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So I'm back for more advice on who to start this week. Between Michael Turner, Ryan Mathews, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Stevan Ridley, which 3? The first 3 are the obvious answer, but I'm afraid when we start getting our asses kicked by unstoppable Aaron Rogers and Ryan starts throwing the ball every down, Turner is gonna have another 20-yard game. Ridley at the run-weak Jets seems like a much better matchup, but I'm hesitant to bench someone with as much big play power as Turner.

7. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Glad Arian Foster is back to doing well, so he can live up to the cockiest photo in the NFL.

[​IMG]

8. FutzinChamp

FutzinChamp
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

So...I'm in need of some advice.

I'm starting Fred Jackson in one RB spot and need to fill the other RB spot and Flex with the following:

Shonn Greene
    Mike Tolbert
    Isaac Redman
    Stevan Ridley
    Marshawn Lynch
    P Parker (Picked him up when Andre went down)

As long as Mendenhall is out I'm leaning towards Greene and Redman since they should get plenty of touches. But Greene hasn't done shit all year. I don't know anything about Ridley but he put up good numbers last week so I picked him up.

Any help is appreciated. Yahoo standard non PPR

9. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Got offered Roethlisberger and Dallas Clarke for Jimmy Graham today. My starting QB is currently Ryan Fitzpatrick. Leaning towards accepting it, advice anyone?

10. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a tough call. You're basically giving up the #1 receiver on a very prolific pass offense for a usually good QB and TE, but Roethlisberger is banged up, his O line sucks and the Steelers running game is impotent, making him a pass rusher's wet dream. And I don't like Clarke with the QB problems in Indy.

Roethlisberger will have an easier schedule than Fitzpatrick, but who knows what that means when the offense is so off track in Pittsburgh.

In short, you're downgrading at TE a lot and you're picking up a possible upgrade at QB, but it's quite a gamble. Frankly, I like Fitzpatrick better at this point and in most leagues I've seen decent QBs on my leagues' waivers still available (Freeman, Campbell, even Grossman can get you good points against a bad pass defense).

At the very least, Roethlisberger and Fitzpatrick both play the 1pm games today. Wait until they're over and see how each of them did.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would just like to give a big fuck you to Josh Freeman for single handedly causing me to lose fantasy this week. What a worthless douche. He's netted me a whopping 2 points thus far.

Is anyone starting to rethink about how to draft for fantasy? I was arguing against taking Vick with the first pick earlier in this thread, and I was probably right, but is rbs really the way to go with how much teams are passing now? I'm 2-2 and I've been getting raped because of facing elite QBs. If I had drafted Rodgers or Brady early instead of MJD and Turner (then Romo later) and then got an elite receiver like Calvin Johnson I would probably be looking at 5-0 instead of 2-3. Just something to think about.

12. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Without doing in-depth research on this here are the top 15 weekly fantasy points leaders through the first four weeks of 2011, by position:

Week 1: QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, QB, WR, QB, WR, QB, RB, QB, RB, RB, WR (9 QB, 3 WR, 3 RB)
    Week 2: QB, QB, WR, QB, RB, WR, QB, QB, QB, QB, RB, RB, QB, QB, QB (10 QB, 3 RB, 2 WR)
    Week 3: WR, QB, WR, QB, QB, QB, QB, RB, QB, QB, QB, RB, TE, WR, TE (8 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 2 TE)
    Week 4: QB, QB, QB, RB, RB, QB, WR, QB, QB, QB, QB, RB, QB, WR, WR (9 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR)

I pulled this info from Foxsports.com, and couldn't find what system they use for determining points, but glancing at the players' stats it looks like a pretty standard one.

13. nigraj

nigraj
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

So I'm getting crushed in my pay league. Weighing in at 1-4 after this week with the 5th most points for in a 12 man league but by far the most points against. 3 under 10 pt losses and when I tell you Roethlisberger is my QB with Sanchez backing up I'm sure it makes sense why I'm frustrated.

For whatever reason Chris Johnson is still getting a lot of love in my league. I'm thinking of offering Chris Johnson for Cam Newton and Frank Gore. Crazy as it looks I think the 49er's running game is going to stay legit if Gore stays healthy and Cam Newton just seems to keep pouring on the points. Am I going to be wanting to slit my wrist after Johnson "breaks out" or is this a good time to sell high on an under performing high draft pick?

Current Skill Player Roster:

QB: Roethlisberger, Sanchez
    RB: C Johnson, Tolbert, Felix Jones, Cedric Benson
    WR: Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Mike Williams(TB)
    TE: Jimmy Graham

14. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Long story short: you got the wrong second tier qb. In most drafts I saw Stafford and Freeman going in the same round. If you would have drafted Stafford, you'd be talking championship with your stud rb's and a top qb.

Freeman has been garbage, and so has Bradford. Rotoworld and a few others pushed those guys and this philophy. Most sites said Stafford was serviceable if you had a quality Guy with him. This led to Stafford owners generally drafted big Ben/flacco and backing up with Stafford. They are currently qb heavy, and up until this weekend, Ben would have been cheap.

I managed to grab Foster, best, Bradshaw, and Greene in the first 5 rounds. I followed that up with sproles in the 10th (we are a return yardage league). I went with flacco in 6th. He's laid some stink bombs on me and cost me 2 games for single point games (one was against Rodgers when he got 6 tds ). But I have the depth to pull an RB or a wr to trade if I get tired of it (or think it's going to continue).

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some moron in my brother's league dropped Andre Johnson. The guy is probably going to miss two more games! Very unlikely to miss more than 3. I wish I had idiots like this in my league. I suppose it might be less fun though.

As it stands I'm 2-3 and need to get my shit together. I'm going to punch something if I lose this week, especially if it's because my QB gets me only 3 points. The person I'm playing has the worst team in the league (yet the same record somehow).

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Help me oh fantasy gurus:

I have Peyton Hillis (Cle), Michael Turner (Atl) and Darren Sproles (N'awlins). Which two get the start?

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hillis and Turner. That's a no brainer. If the league is PPR you might consider Sproles over Hillis, but then again probably not.

18. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah, I've got to agree with Kampf. Cleveland is going to make a point of trying to get Hillis the ball this weekend, while the Panthers have no running defense to speak of.

Another question for thee of the idiot boards...

Santonio Holmes, Pierre Garcon, Santana Moss.

Choose two.

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going up against the team with Brady and Welker, so I need all the points I can get.

I'm starting Stafford, Hakeem Nicks, Mike Wallace, RunDMC, Ray Rice, and Rob Gronkowski.

I need help with my 2 flex spots. Choose from:

Antonio Brown
    Torrey Smith
    Mark Ingram
    Lee Evans
    James Jones

I also have Julio Jones, but he's injured, not playing this week.

Thanks guys.

20. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You're risky all around.

Gut says Garcon (hottest hand, getting a lot of looks suddenly) and Holmes (better matchup than Moss who draws Revis this week).