Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2011

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Arms Akimbo, Aug 11, 2011.

1. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Unless I need the depth, I hate accepting trades where I give up more players than I get. For your team, its not a terrible trade since its always good to have a decent backup QB. But the thing to think about is who are you cutting? I assume Evans or Sims-Walker. Would you trade Best and Evans for Manning and Jones? If yes, then take the trade, if not, you're on the losing end.

2. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Is this a PPR or standard league?

I don't think that you need to do this trade. If you really need a backup QB, just let Sims-Walker go and search your waiver wire. If your league is not huge, there likely are decent replacements you can just pick up. You've got decent depth in WR (Branch is get a lot of looks), and solid depth at RB. Although, D26 is right: Best is an injury risk. But then again, so are pretty much all of your RBs (Gore, Addai, Bush all have missed time due to injuries in the past).

If you want to unload Best, try to get one good receiver instead.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does Peyton Hillis provide much value above James Stark? PPR league, w/ a harsh fumble penalty. I was considering offering Starks and Brandon Jacobs for Hillis (Jacobs is currently on my bench. I have Mendenhall, Starks, and Santonio Holmes at RB1, RB2, and Flex right now).

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Personally I would take Hillis if you can get him. Hillis got 27 touches last game, Starks likely isn't going to get that kind of action. He's splitting carries on a pass happy team. If Grant gets injuried or phased out (unlikely) maybe this is a closer call, but right now it isn't.

I just picked up Keller. I'm holding on to Clark now and dumped Grant to make room. Our league has no flex and I have MJD and Turner starting, plus Beanie Wells on the bench so I just didn't need him. Does anyone think I should have got Pettigrew instead? It seemed to close to call and I kind of just went with the guy who is doing more so far this season. I can still grab Pettigrew later on if I want (assuming he's available).

5. ScottVanPelt

ScottVanPelt
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Unless that person isn't very high on Hillis (which is probably the exact opposite, especially after his week last week), I doubt he accepts that trade anyway. I also wouldn't necessarily want to pull the trigger on trading Starks considering Grant's injury history and the fact that he's outperforming him anyway and may take over a majority/all of the carries.

Jacobs is sort of a non-factor IMO. What was he, like a 8th-10th round pick in a 12 person league? Even higher if it's ten people. Starks was too but at least he's showing a lot of upside thus far.

Overall I don't see dude accepting it anyway, especially with Hillis blowing it up thus far. And I don't think you should trade Starks just yet unless you're really trying to get in on the selling high thing.

Just my two cents though.

6. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He had Jamaal Charles, and our 14 team league is so deep that there are no significant RBs on the waiver wire. Hence the two for one swap. You might still be right, but I'm in part trying to take advantage of circumstance.

7. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which QB?

Romo vs. Washington with his broken rib and collapsed lung.
    Stafford vs. Minnesota
    Henne vs. Cleveland

8. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stafford, easy. I wouldn't bet on Romo with his injury, and Henne's had one good game so far in a shootout where he had to throw a lot while down on the scoreboard. I don't know if Stafford will get the win (though I think the Lions are for real), but I definitely think he'll put up the numbers.

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or I can pick up the QB from Buffalo. I've gone with Stafford the first two weeks, but I'm not sure how he'll do against the Vikings.

10. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Definitely start Stafford, and drop Henne for Fitzpatrick. Jesus, what are you in a 6 team league?

11. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Tough one this week. In one of my leagues, I'm at 0 - 2 to start the season, thank you very much Jamaal Charles. It's a 10 team non PPR league, here's my lineup:

QB: Romo or Grossman, depending on if Romo plays.
    RB: Benjarvis Green-Ellis
    RB: Ben Tate
    RB/WR:
    WR: Mike Wallace
    WR:
    TE: Vernon Davis
    D: Cardinals
    K: Dan Bailey

My question is this: I've got the following guys who can fill in the WR/Flex spots:

Hightower
    Nicks
    Ochocinco
    Lance Moore
    Mark Ingram
    Daniel Thomas
    Dexter McCluster (listed as both a RB and WR)

My initial/obvious thought was to play Nicks at the WR spot, and play Hightower as the flex, but I think Eli blows, and with no other WR options on the field, seems likely that Nicks will have to deal with Nnamdi. As always, I appreciate any thoughts you idiots might want to throw my direction.

12. 9iron

9iron
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'd go Nicks and Hightower. I don't like the Nicks matchup/situation either, but at some point you have to trust that your #1 guy will perform even against a bad matchup. Could the Eagles double-team him all day and force Eli to beat them with someone else? Sure. But at the same time he's the only guy on the field Eli has confidence in, so you know he will get at least some targets and maybe a garbage-time TD if they are playing from behind. For the RB, even though Helu had a good second half last week I still think Hightowers the #1 guy, so start him for the touches at least. Your other guys have potential (Ocho should get involved more with Hernandez out, Mccluster with Charles out) but they haven't shown enough for me to have confidence in starting them this week.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Should I start Romo (against Washington) or Freeman (vs Atlanta) this week for fantasy? All things being equal I would always go with Romo, but it's still unsure if he's going to play and I don't know how well he can do with a broken rib, even if he looked good last week against the 49ers.
    Thoughts? Also I'm not sure who I want to play between Clark(vs Pitt) and Keller (vs Oakland). I'm leaning towards Keller based on the match ups, but then again I really don't think Pitt is as good this year as they've been in the past.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wanted to add too - Should I consider putting in Beanie Wells over MJD or Turner since he's playing Seattle? I'm thinking no, but it's something to consider since Seattle might be the worst team in the league. I might use Wells for trade bait too if he keeps producing. I don't know why my stupid league doesn't have a flex spot.

15. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My lineup (non-PPR):
    QB: Matt Stafford
    WR: Mike Wallace
    WR: Jordy Nelson
    RB: Chris Johnson
    RB: Michael Turner
    W/T: Stevie Johnson
    W/T: Brandon Lloyd
    K: Mason Crosby
    Def: Philly
    Bench:
    Dallas Clark
    Danny Amendola
    Brandon Jacobs
    Jay Cutler
    Robbie Gould
    Chicago D

My question regards what I should do with that albatross known as Chris Johnson. I've got a couple of trade offers, one is Antonio Gates + Dallas D, another is Gore + DeAngelo Williams. What should I do? Or should I ride out CJ and hope he gets better?

16. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Cut Gould. There is never a need to have two kickers on a team. Hell, you can even get rid of the Chicago D unless they have good matchups in the near future.

You only have 3 RBs, you should try to get another. Even though you can only roster 2 per week, it's nice to have another option or two. Maybe cutting your other kicker/DEF also frees up a spot for a RB or TE if a good one exists on your waiver wire. What RBs and TEs are available on your waiver wire?

Not sure about the first trade. If you trade CJ for Gates and Dallas (which is not something you should be doing), you have two RBs on your team. Maybe you can counter CJ for Gates plus an RB. You should also look at Gates' health.

The second trade is OK, but Gore is an injury risk and DeAngelo is not putting up quality numbers. I'd keep CJ, he can't suck this much all year IMO.

17. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For the record, I was away during my league's draft, and only ranked my first couple picks, the rest were auto pick. Hence the 2 kickers and 2 d's.

Thanks for the advice... I'm leaning towards keeping CJ, at least for another week or so.

18. awwwSNAP

awwwSNAP
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Couple trade questions. Here's my team (non-PPR, 14 teams):

QB: Drew Brees
    WR: Wes Welker
    WR: Santana Moss
    RB: Michael Turner
    RB: Ahmad Bradshaw
    TE: Ed Dickson
    W/R: Ryan Mathews
    K: John Kasay
    DEF: Tampa Bay
    BN: Ben Tate
    BN: Hines Ward
    BN: Rex Grossman
    BN: David Nelson
    BN: San Francisco D

I have 2 trade offers on the table for a TE - Dustin Keller for Ben Tate and Antonio Gates for Michael Turner. With Gates iffy and hurt I feel like, even though he's underperforming, Turner still has more value than that, but I could see myself trading Tate for either. But with Foster coming back I don't know how much trade value he's gonna have, or if I should hold on to him, wait for Foster to reinjure himself, and deal with whoever the best TE I can find on the waiver from week to week is.

Also, a guy in my league is trading Darren McFadden and Johnny Knox for Dwayne Bowe, Frank Gore, and Mark Sanchez. He thinks he needs more depth at WR and a better backup QB than Colt McCoy. Is this as retarded as it seems to me? Can I beat that offer without hamstringing myself?

19. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

On the first issue, I'd probably trade Tate for Keller. You're actually pretty strong at RB with Turner, Bradshaw, and Matthews, and I'd be willing to guess that you can find one week fill-ins on the waiver wire to cover your byes. Gates is pretty risky with his foot issues.

As for the second question, I don't understand how he thinks he's adding depth at WR. He's giving up one of the top ten RBs in the league and a WR3 for a WR2, an injury-prone RB, and a weak QB? That being said, I'm not sure I'd go with it...your WR corps is very good, but thin. If anything, I'd let the trade happen, then see if you can upgrade Hines Ward to a better backup WR.

Now I have a trade question I'd like to run by you guys. This is a 12 team PPR league, here's my team currently:

QB Tom Brady NEP 106.45 1.12 7
    RB Mike Tolbert SDC 59.90 5.12 6
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw NYG 52.70 3.12 7
    RB Joseph Addai IND 37.10 8.01 11
    RB James Starks GBP 30.60 10.01 8
    RB Issac Redman PIT 14.30 14.01 11
    WR Larry Fitzgerald ARI 52.90 2.01 6
    WR Plaxico Burress NYJ 31.70 9.12 8
    WR DeSean Jackson PHI 31.60 4.01 7
    WR Santonio Holmes NYJ 29.10 6.01 8
    WR Jacoby Ford OAK 5.20 10.03 8
    TE Jimmy Graham NOS 49.50 7.12 11
    TE Jeff King ARI 25.70 UDP 6
    PK Jason Hanson DET 39.30 UDP 9
    DT Washington Redskins WAS 25.00 UDP 5
    DT Arizona Cardinals ARI 23.00 UDP 6

I'm being offered Beanie Wells, Mike Williams (TB), and David Nelson for Larry Fitzgerald, with Isaac Redman, and the Cards as garbage filler.

Initially, I don't love it. Yes, Wells is an improvement to a weak RB core, and there is some value to Williams and Nelson, but if anything, I would want a top 15 RB for my #1 WR, and I don't think Wells is that. Am I overthinking this?

20. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This trade looks OK, but I'm with you on Wells. If I'm trading a top tier PPR receiver in Fitzgerald, I'd hope to get a solid PPR RB in the trade. Plus, he's banged up too much. Your RB depth isn't bad enough to get rid of your best receiver IMO.