Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck you waiver wire. i just got an email saying Devery Henderson was mine. Pierre Thomas better see the field some time tonight. blah

2. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Money league team. Auction draft. $225 for 12 players. 1 pt for 25 yards passing, 6 pt passing TD, 1 pt 10 yards rush/rec, 6 pt TD. This is one of the weirdest leagues I've ever been in.

QB - Brady - $83
    RB - DeAngelo Williams - $52
    RB - Lesean McCoy - $9
    WR - R. Moss - $61
    WR - Malcolm Floyd - $4
    TE - Kellen Winslow - $6
    K - Prater - $1
    D/ST - 49ers $1

QB - Roethlisberger - $1 (Drunk pick. Didn't realize he and Brady were on the same bye)
    RB - Felix Jones - $2
    WR - T.O. - $3
    TE - Heath Miller - $2

Overall I'm pretty happy. No team in the league looks really dominating at this point. For comparison's sake, Rodgers went for $110, Chris Johnson was $100, and Andre Johnson was $75.

3. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm looking at my lineup for this week, and I'm hoping for some input. Currently my defense is Philly, a team I'm happy to have for the season, they tend to be a solid fantasy defense. However, they open the season with the Packers, and I'm a bit wary about Philly allowing a bunch of points. I'm not convinced Kolb is as good as they think, and the Packers have a good defense that could give their offense extra opportunities. However, the Packers gave up a lot to sacks last year, and their line isn't much different this year. So do I stick with the Philly D, or do I pick up the Arizona D for the week since they're going up against the Rams this week. I have a spot so I don't have to drop Philly, and the odds are that the Cardinals D could put up better numbers than Philly.

Also, I can't decide on my 3rd RB spot since it appears Beanie Wells is hurt and is questionable for the game. Do I start one of 2 RBs with uncertain loads, Justin Forsett or Brandon Jacobs, or take the risk that if Wells does play he's going against the Rams and could have a huge game?

I appreciate any help/thoughts.

4. 9iron

9iron
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Really excited about my team this year:

QB - Drew Brees
    RB - Deangelo Williams
    RB - Knowshon Moreno
    WR - Randy Moss
    WR - Dwayne Bowe
    WR - Mike Sims-Walker
    TE - Tony Gonzalez
    D/ST - Dallas
    K - Rob Bironas

Bench:
    Ronnie Brown
    Ricky Williams
    Joseph Addai
    Jeremy Maclin
    Braylon Edwards
    Austin Collie

Didn't realize it was a 3 WR league and no flex, so I'm way too heavy at RB, but I'll try to make a trade in the first few weeks. Leaning towards starting Brown against Buffalo in week 1?

5. Ten Drink Drunk

Ten Drink Drunk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Week 1 is a love/hate relationship for me when it comes to fantasy. I love the fact that football is back, but I hate the unknown factors when setting my line up. I was happy with the depth I was able to get at RB, but now I have a collection of RB2s that could all produce at a high level. Ray Rice is my RB1 then I have J.Best (CHI), Forte (DET) and R.Brown (BUF).

I know traditional wisdom says to start your starters since they got drafted ahead of the bench players for a reason, but there's a lot of potential upside for all three of these guys. I have a nagging feeling that I might leave a lot of points on the bench.

Best will be getting a full work load against a defense that wasn't great last year. Forte has perennially weak Detroit, but they've got Suh now and I'm not sure what impact he'll have. I'm unsure how many carries Chester Taylor will get. R. Brown is in a time share with R. Williams, but has Buffalo. Also throwing a wrench into my thought process is Football Outsiders projecting Chicago and Buffalo to be #2 and #3 defenses respectively. Even they admit the Buffalo projection seems crazy, but it's left me scratching my head for week 1.

I currently have R. Brown in, but am leaning Forte after writing this out.

Any thoughts? The league is standard scoring with no PPR.

6. mrwarden

mrwarden
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't get the Ronnie Brown hate, before he got hurt, he was still splitting carries and was still one of the most productive backs in fantasy. Miami is the only team that runs the Wildcat enough where Williams can get 10-15 touches and Brown will still get his 20-25.

7. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Got an offer of LeSean McCoy for Beanie Wells. Thoughts?

8. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait... are you getting Beanie or LeSean. If you are getting LeSean, take that deal and run with it. If they're offering you Beanie, absolutely do not do it.

McCoy is going to be getting the vast majority of the touches in his backfield. Beanie, meanwhile, is in a time share (at best) with Hightower. Throughout the preseason, everyone has said that Hightower has looked significantly better than Beanie, and that Hightower is going to be the guy for a while in Arizona. On top of that, Beanie is banged up a bit, and may not even be playing in week 1.

McCoy is, IMHO, a clearly better option.

9. no use for a name

no use for a name
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Week 1 - Should I start Tim Hightower or Rashard Mendenhall? Hightower is getting the start in lieu of Well's knee injury against St. Louis. Mendenhall is getting the start against Atlanta, but I'm not sure how many carries he is going to get.

Thoughts?

10. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm in the idiot board free and I have to admit, I'm winging this as I go along. I'm learning something every day (considering the fact that I know nothing). The last time I was in a fantasy league I was 14 and no one even played. I enjoy fantasy league, and it always seemed fun watching my friends do fantasy football. But I don't really expect to win. I'm new to fantasy football. I fully expect to not make it to the play offs. I'm just trying to learn so that next year I can be better and actually compete in a league. I'm pretty well versed in different NFL players skills and abilities, but I have no idea how to translate that to a fantasy football league. So far though, I have been having fun. But you'll all find out soon enough, I'm going to suck this season and will be no competition to anyone.

Obviously, this is why I did not choose the paid league.

edit: The most Ironic part is that football is my favorite sport by far. Even though fantasy is awesome and I've always avoided fantasy football. Mostly this was due to fear of being embarrassed by sucking so much. But you gotta start somewhere.

11. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'd start Hightower. The Rams have a worse defense. Plus, Mendenhall is going to run a lot. The main issue is that everyone knows this. Atlanta knows this, Pittsburgh knows this, and I'm pretty sure people with zero knowledge of football know this. They are going to stack the run and make Pittsburgh throw the ball to win.

I see Mendenhall getting 20 to 25 touches, with potential for a TD in there, but I don't think he'll hit 100 yards. Hightower has a MUCH higher upside. If Wells doesn't go at all, Hightower should easily eclipse 100 yards and a TD.

I'd start Hightower.

12. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Is anyone else having the same problems with Yahoo's fantasy football iPhone app? It's not showing any stats in the matchup or MyTeam screens. It's really starting to piss me off.

P.s. Fuck Matt Schaub.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was thrilled, he was my second pick in TIB paid league. I have Andre Johnson in my other league, whoopee.

Start Posting- the number one waiver wire prospects. Let me know boys, I need them!

14. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

How'd you guys do this week (obviously excluding tomorrow nights games)?

Kevin Kolb didn't get me 1 point, and I also got poor performances out of Andre Johnson, Colston, and Finley. Thankfully, I started Arian Foster (231, 3 TDs), Jahvid Best (2 TDs) and still have Ryan Mathews tomorrow night. Already have the win wrapped up.

QB: For those of us - read: me - who got screwed with Kolb this week (I need Big Ben back), Vick, Hasselbeck and Kyle Orton all look respectable.

RB: Brandon Jackson should be a good fill in, especially next week against Buffalo, if Ryant Grant misses any time with his ankle sprain, which it looks like he might. Peyton Hillis also had a respectable game for Cleveland.

WR: Mark Clayton got 16 targets, and had >100 yards for STL. Could be decent, esp in PPR leagues. Brandon Lloyd also looked like Denver's best WR. Gaffney caught the TD pass, but Lloyd looks like the better option there.

Not too much out there.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A guy in one of my leagues drafted Kolb as his starter and Stafford as his backup. To say that he is fucked would be an understatement. Of course, he also had Arian Foster, so he still managed to win this week.

As for waiver gems, I agree with the post above. Orton looks good, as does Vick. I still don't buy Hasselbeck.

Brandon Jackson is another good one, as I think Grant is going to be out for a while.

16. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So am I correct to assume the official winner for week one will be determined later tonight/tomorrow morning?

17. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thank God I didn't have to play against anyone with Foster yesterday, though I did get smacked around my Mendenhall and Manning.

But thanks to strong showings from Ronnie Brown, Matt Forte, and Miles Austin, I think I've managed to sneak out wins in three of my four leagues, which just so happen to be my money leagues. Also glad that I snagged Brandon Jackson in the 14th in the league where I started Ryan...handcuffs are nice things.

18. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Trade I'm considering:

I GET: Tony Romo and Joseph Addai
    I GIVE: Jahvid Best and Big Ben

My team, the best/Roethlisberger team also has:

Kolb
    Foster/Mathews
    Andre Johnson/Colston
    Jermichael Finley

I want to solidify my QB position. Foster and Mathews are a good enough 1-2 RB combo, and it looks like Addai will be getting the vast majority of touches in Indy again. Best had 2 TD's, but averaged like 1.4/carry (against an admittedly solid D). Addai's stats were below average because the COlts were down and needed to throw to keep up. Thoughts?

19. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of my leagues has 2 starting spots for QBs, and my top two guys were Stafford and Kolb. Luckily I took Orton late and had the sense to start him over Stafford though, so the week wasn't a total bust (keep playing like that Forte and I might forgive you for that first rounder last year).

Looks like I'll be making a move for Vick this week. Stupid 2 QB bullshit.

20. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As long as Derrick Mason doesn't manage to snag 20+ fantasy points against the Jets tonight, I'll be fine on this week's matchup. Most of my guys underperformed, and I never finalized my kicker so that spot was left blank (Lawerence Tynes, who would have gotten me 8 points), and I'm still doing OK because Manning lit it up in a losing effort. The dude who drafted Arian Foster ran the table. The guy got like 120 points, 50+ from Foster. Jesus, I hope his performance takes a dip or I'll be fucked when I play him.

Harvin, Stewart, and Barber stunk up the joint. I wonder if I should trade them.