Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless a trade really adresses my needs or is one sided, I would wait until week one has started.

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is my idiot board squad. People went nuts on WR's, I got Jackson in the third round.

Matt Schaub QB
    Adrian Peterson RB- MIN
    LeSean McCoy RB- PHI
    DeSean Jackson WR- PHI View News
    Michael Crabtree WR-
    Terrell Owens WR-
    Heath Miller TE- PIT
    Josh Cribbs WR-
    Mohamed Massaquoi WR-
    Dez Bryant WR- DAL
    Marion Barber RB- DAL
    Devery Henderson WR- NO
    Justin Forsett RB- SEA
    K- R Longwell
    DEF-Bears

3. mikebegood

mikebegood
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I need to pick one each of Flex/RB/WR out of Welker, Crabtree, Shonn Greene, Arian Foster, and Ahmad Bradshaw (No PPR). Right now I'm planning on Welker, Greene, and Foster, but Baltimore's run D plus how well LT played in the preseason has me shaky about Greene. Any ideas?

4. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I wouldn't over-think things, stick with Greene. If you really don't want to, then I would use Bradshaw since he's listed as the starter for the Giants, and they're going against Carolina in week one.

I personally believe the Jets are going to try to pound the ball against the Ravens, and they'll use Greene to do it. I think they're going to need to slow the game down with the run game if they want to beat the Ravens because the Ravens passing game is much better than the Jets.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My team:
    Matt Moore-QB
    Michael Turner-RB
    Jonathan Steward-RB
    Reggie Wayne-WR
    Hines Ward-WR
    Greg Olsen-TE
    Steelers D/ST
    Stephen Gostkowski-K

Percy Harvin-WR
    Steve Slaton-RB
    Mark Sanchez_QB
    Laurence Maroney-RB
    Carson Palmer-QB
    Mario Manningham-WR
    Giants D/ST
    Matt Bryant-K

The qb situation worries me, and I'd happily get rid of Mario Manningham if I could upgrade. I feel like my draft would be epic if it was 2007. This is only my 2nd fantasy team and my first actual draft (last year I autodrafted), so I'm curious who I should try to get rid of and if my starters are sufficient.

6. DrunkBilliken

DrunkBilliken
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Third and final fantasy draft tonight, ESPN league with standard scoring, non-PPR. 12 teams, I had the 7th pick.

7 Frank Gore, SF RB
    18 Tom Brady, NE QB
    31 Marques Colston, NO WR
    42 LeSean McCoy, Phi RB
    55 Jermichael Finley, GB TE
    66 Mike Wallace, Pit WR
    79 Malcom Floyd, SD WR
    90 Darren McFadden, Oak RB
    103 Devin Aromashodu, Chi WR
    114 T.J. Houshmandzadeh, FA WR
    127 Kevin Smith, Det RB
    138 Giants D/ST, NYG D/ST
    151 Sam Bradford, StL QB
    162 Greg Olsen, Chi TE
    175 Brian Westbrook, SF RB
    186 Matt Prater, Den K

I feel like I did pretty well, but I'm not sure about my RB depth. Gore and McCoy should be fine, but McFadden, Smith and Westbrook will be very hit-or-miss. I picked Bradford in the 13th round for two reasons: I'm a Rams fan, and to fill in for Brady in his bye week in week five. Should be a favorable matchup for Bradford playing against the Lions that week.

7. Ten Drink Drunk

Ten Drink Drunk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I drafted my second and final team last night. This was a standard snake draft and I had the 3rd position. 10 team league, start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST. Standard scoring, no PPR.

1. (3) Ray Rice RB
    2. (18) Reggie Wayne WR
    3. (23) DeSean Jackson WR
    4. (38) Wes Welker WR
    5. (43) Jahvid Best RB
    6. (58) Matt Forte RB
    7. (63) Hines Ward WR
    8. (78) Ronnie Brown RB
    9. (83) Carson Palmer QB
    10. (98) Vincent Jackson WR
    11. (103) Ben Roethlisberger QB
    12. (118) Owen Daniels TE
    13. (123) Philadelphia DEF
    14. (138) Robbie Gould K

Overall I really like this team. I will like it a lot better when/if vJax moves to a team. I probably reached too much for Wes Welker and I didn't get a quarterback until the 9th round, so I'm not super confident there. I also waited a long time for my TE, but everyone else had picked theirs so I wasn't in a rush. I think I'll be able to play matchups for my RB2 and am crossing my fingers that Ronnie Brown stays healthy. Speaking of health, should I pick up Rice's handcuff (McGahee)? We only get 5 bench so it's hard to justify dedicating a roster spot for an insurance pick.

8. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This is my only team this year. 12 team league, PPR, we start QB RB RB WR WR TE W/R/T DEF K. I had the 6th pick.

1. (6) Andre Johnson (Hou - WR)
    2. (19) Pierre Thomas (NO - RB)
    3. (30) LeSean McCoy (Phi - RB)
    4. (43) Steve Smith (NYG - WR)
    5. (54) Hines Ward (Pit - WR)
    6. (67) Kevin Kolb (Phi - QB)
    7. (78) Justin Forsett (Sea - RB)
    8. (91) Jerome Harrison (Cle - RB)
    9. (102) Malcom Floyd (SD - WR)
    10. (115) LaDainian Tomlinson (NYJ - RB)
    11. (126) Zach Miller (Oak - TE)
    12. (139) Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB)
    13. (150) Laurent Robinson (StL - WR)
    14. (163) Cincinnati (Cin - DEF)
    15. (174) David Akers (Phi - K)

Thoughts: I definitely reached for Kolb at pick #67, but I feel good about the rest of my team. I am happy to have landed Andre Johnson and Steve Smith in a PPR league, plus I think that LeSean McCoy is going to have a good year.

9. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Got my final roster in place for my most important, big-money league. I had the 12th pick in a 12-team snake, 1 pt PPT, otherwise standard scoring. Starting lineup is:

QB
    RB
    WR
    TE
    RB/WR
    WR/TE
    K
    Def

How it went down:

1-12: Drew Brees
    2-1: Miles Austin
    3-12: Cedric benson
    4-1: Anquan Boldin
    5-12: Ronnie Brown
    6-1: Visanthe Shiancoe
    7-12: Dez Bryant
    8-1: Bernard Berrian
    9-12: Fred Jackson
    10-1: Timothy Hightower
    11-12: Darren Sproles
    12-1: Devin Hester
    13-12: Alex Smith
    14-1: Kevin Boss
    15-12: Dallas
    16-1: Robbie Gould

I don't really know what to think. I mean, I made the conscious decision early on to forego the power RBs in favor of a #1 QB and a deep WR corps, but I went waaaaaaaaay too early to Shiancoe, and it took me pretty much through round 13 to recover from that. This is a very competitive league, and despite my mistakes, I feel like this is the league with the most parity that I'm playing in.

Side note: I'm playing in four leagues this year, and my draft positions have been 12/12, 12/12, 7/10, and 8/10. I bet its nice to be able to take a study RB with your first round pick...I wouldn't know.

10. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Third of four squads complete. This is my home league, no money, and the talent is somewhat lacking here (like the guy who took Vincent Jackson in the 8th round)

This is a ten-man, non-ppr league with standard yahoo scoring. Lineup is:

QB
    WR
    WR
    RB
    TE
    W/R
    W/T
    K
    Def

I was 8th, and thought the draft started at 8:30, actually started at 8, so first four picks were auto-drafted, and not all that well. That and I was shitfaced.

1-8: Andre Johnson
    2-3: Ryan Matthews
    3-8: Cedric Benson
    4-3: Anquan Boldin
    5-8: Jermichael Finley
    6-3: Joe Flacco
    7-8: Donald Driver
    8-3: Zach Miller (Oak)
    9-8: Reggie Bush
    10-3: Derrick Mason
    11-8: Philadelphia (auto-pick)
    12-3: Devin Hester
    13-8: Cadillac Williams
    14-3: Jericho Cotchery
    15-8: Darren Sproles
    16-3: Rian Lindell

I'm actually pretty happy with this draft. The lineups are so WR heavy that you really only need two decent RBs on your squad, and I think that I'm pretty deep at WR, certainly enough to hold my own. We shall see.

11. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Week 1: Kolb vs. GB or Eli vs. CAR?

This is for a different league than the TiB league.

12. thefish

thefish
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My Team. 12 team league, 0.5 ppr, 6 pts for passing TD's
    3 keepers, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, K, 5 IDP

Tony Romo (Dal - QB)
    Ray Rice (Bal - RB)
    Ahmad Bradshaw (NYG - RB)
    Andre Johnson (Hou - WR)
    Reggie Wayne (Ind - WR)
    Dwayne Bowe (KC - WR)
    Ricky Williams (Mia - RB)
    Zach Miller (Oak - TE)

Barrett Ruud (TB - LB)
    Kirk Morrison (Jac - LB)
    Ray Lewis (Bal - LB)
    Yeremiah Bell (Mia - S)
    Rolando McClain (Oak - LB)

Bench
    Justin Forsett (Sea - RB)
    Marion Barber (Dal - RB)
    Clinton Portis (Was - RB)
    Ben Roethlisberger (Pit - QB)
    Santonio Holmes (NYJ - WR)
    Laurent Robinson (StL - WR)

Overall thoughts?
    Also, I wasn't paying attention at the end of the draft and didn't draft a kicker. Any opinions on who I should drop?

13. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's real tough, and I think a complete tossup. Kolb did not look good in preseason, and even though GB ranked 5th in the league in pass defense last year, they got torn up by Arizona in the playoffs, and will be starting a rookie safety and CB. Also, you have to figure GB will put up plenty of points, and Reid loves to throw, so even if Kolb makes a few mistakes, he should still have pretty respectable numbers just by sheer number of attempts.

Eli has plenty of weapons on the outside, and is going against a Julius Peppers-less defensive line. However, Carolina's defense should still be respectable, and I assume that Deangelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart on the ground will chew up clock and limit the T.O.P. for New York's defense. That said, I think Eli gets 2 TD's at home against a completely average opponent.

I think Kolb is the more risky play, as he could go for 300 and 3 Tds, or 180, 1 Td, and 3 INTs. Manning has a pretty safe shot at 225, 2 Td's, 1 INT. All that being said, I have no choice but to use Kolb, seeing as Big Ben is my backup. At least you should have an easier decision in week 2 - the Eagles play the Lions.

14. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Alright so I joined my first fantasy league out in Baltimore and I had no idea what I was doing, so this should be fun. The draft was Monday and I just picked my starting lineup:

QB - Peyton Manning (IND)
    RB - Marion Barber (DAL)
    RB - Jonathan Stewart (CAR)
    WR - Larry FitzGerald (ARI)
    WR - Percy Harvin (MIN)
    TE - Verne Davis (SF)
    W/S - Mike Wallace (PITT)
    D/SP - Dallas Cowboys
    K - Rob Bironas (CIN)
    BN - QB Marc Sanchez (NYJ)
    BN - RB Jamaal Charles (KC)
    BN - RB Felix Jones (DAL)
    BN - TE Brandon Peddigrew (DET)
    BN - WR Lee Evans (BUF)
    BN - RB Javon Ringer (TEN) (had to err towards Michigan State for my final pick)

All in all I'm not feeling too good about these picks, mostly for my running backs. With Leinart released I'm worried Anderson will be shaky on the deep ball to Fitzgerald, Manning could slump after the Super Bowl loss, and my best pick was probably Davis at tight end. Like I said, this is my first rodeo, so we'll see how things shake up across the season.

Scoring is standard Yahoo score sheet, but passing is kinda confusing - is it 5 extra points per 300 yards? Because if it's 25 yards per point, then my QB can throw for 275 yards and get 11 points, right? So why is 300 yards only 5 points? I'm missing something here, if someone could fill me in.

Overall, it should be a good time. League name is Balls Deep in Baltimore, and my team name is Stafford Infection. Can't wait to get started.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not a fan of most of your team. Barber has question marks, Stewart isn't the starter, Harvin might suffer a migraine mid-game and leave, and Fitty doesn't have anyone reliable throwing to him. On top of that, Mike Wallace might not be useful until week 6 when Big Ben returns.

As for the points, you get 5 BONUS points at 300 yards (which seems like a really high bonus). That means 300 yards = 12 points + 5 bonus = 17 points.

It is a decent team name, though. I can never come up with anything good. Other good names I've seen in fantasy this year are all from the same guy... for baseball, his team name is A-Rod in her Pujols and in football it is Forsett down her throat in one league, and Breastonplants in another.

Unfortunately, I suck at naming teams.

Completely unrelated note: looking for some advice on who to start. Standard scoring, with .5 PPR. I have to start 2 of the following 3 RBs:

Jahvid Best @ Chicago
    Addai @ Houston
    LeSean McCoy at home against GB

I genuinely don't know who to start. McCoy is against a great defense, but he should be active in the passing game. I think Addai has the best chance of scoring, and he will also be fairly active in the pass game (he usually is). Best is going against what I think will not be a great defense, and he will be getting virtually the entire workload.

Any advice?

16. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, they're some good team names in my league. It's with my bro-in-law, and his name is Schindler's Fist, but that's what he uses for everything. We got:

Running is my Forte
    I've Got Farve Fingers in her Percy
    You're Cut, Clean Out Urlacher
    Breaston Your Face
    A Boy Named Suh
    Titsburgh Feelers
    Mike Vick in a Box
    Show Us Your TDs

To name a few. Classy bunch.

I take no offense on your assessment of my draftees. I feel the same way. I've got my hopes up, though, anything can happen (hopefully).

17. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Finally had my draft (Yahoo, Non-PPR 6Pt/TD) last night. Not totally stoked with it, but I think it'll be a decently consistent team.

Code:
    1.	(3)	Maurice Jones-Drew (Jac - RB)
    2.	(22)	DeAngelo Williams (Car - RB)
    3.	(27)	Matt Schaub (Hou - QB)
    4.	(46)	Chad Ochocinco (Cin - WR)
    5.	(51)	Joseph Addai (Ind - RB)
    6.	(70)	Santana Moss (Was - WR)
    7.	(75)	Johnny Knox (Chi - WR)
    8.	(94)	Eli Manning (NYG - QB)
    9.	(99)	Derrick Mason (Bal - WR)
    10.	(118)	Owen Daniels (Hou - TE)
    11.	(123)	New York (NYG - DEF)
    12.	(142)	Mason Crosby (GB - K)*
    13.	(147)	Heath Miller (Pit - TE)
    14.	(166)	Nate Burleson (Det - WR)
    15.	(171)	Indianapolis (Ind - DEF)
    *I didn't pick a kicker that early on purpose. My computer wasn't responding, and that's the Autopick that yahoo grabbed.

Suggestions? Comments?

18. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't think you can go too wrong here with any of the 3, but I'd start Addai and Best. I think Addai should be completely healed from that preseason concussion, and looked good running the ball this year before that injury. A few game stats for Addai vs. Houston's D (which hasn't improved that much) - 8 games total:

104 yds rushing & 1 TD,
    108 yards rushing, 4 catches, 91 yards, 2 TD,
    71 yards rushing, 1 TD
    150 yards rushing, 2TD
    110 yards rushing, 2TD

I pretty much agree with the rest of your analysis: McCoy is going against a solid run D - Packers didn't give up >100 on the ground on the road after the 3rd week of last season - and he will be losing goalline touches to Leonard Weaver & someone else (Mike Bell?? I can't remember). To be a value, I think he will have to have 4-6 receptions for decent yardage. Not a stretch by any means with Philly's west coast offense, but not a sure thing.

Also agree re: Best: majority of touches going against an average, but improved, Bears D. He has a better shot at some goal line touches than McCoy (Kevin Smith and Maurice Morris don't worry me too much), and with his explosiveness, he doesn't need to touch it inside the 5 to score multiple times. He should also be getting ~ the same number of looks in the passing game as McCoy....Stafford had no problem checking down to him in the preseason, and you have to figure they'll give him a screen or two to let him use that speed in space.

It's almost a 3 way coin flip, but based on what I wrote, I think I'd go with Addai and Best, though being a Lions fan, I will admit to being slightly biased towards Best.

19. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am in a 12 team, 1 point per reception league with a problem deciding on my flex spot.

Hines Ward vs. ATL
    Malcom Floyd @ KC

I feel like Hines is a more "safe" pick for Week 1, but I am kind of worried about how well he and Dennis Dixon hook up in the passing game. Floyd has great potential against a bad team. Any thoughts?

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Floyd, hands down, for a few reasons.

First, Ward has Dennis Dixon throwing to him. If it were Big Ben, this might be a different story, but I have zero faith in Dixon, and think they're going to run the ball as much as humanly possible.

Second, Floyd has a huge size advantage over virtually every CB in football. He is 6'5", compared to the 5'9" of KC's best CB. Plus, he has Rivers throwing to him, and Rivers is a guy who will let a ball hang and let Floyd and the CB jump for it, and if that is the case, Floyd is going to win that jump ball virtually every time. Rivers is just a better QB than Dixon (obvious statement of the day), and Floyd has significantly more upside. Start Floyd with a lot of confidence.