Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

When exactly did your draft occur? Because its been known for a pretty long time that Jackson was planning on sitting the season unless the Chargers pull an about face. Did your league mates bid you up for him? I assume you either got preyed on because of your lack of experience/knowledge or you're in a league where people don't know much, at least if your draft was recent.

I hope it works out for you, but at this point, that was a terrible pick.

2. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

As I have never vetoed a trade before, I was a little nervous vetoing this trade here:

Team 1 is trading:
    Brett Favre

For

Team 2 is trading
    Kevin Kolb
    Dwane Bowe

Is this as lopsided as it seems? Team 1 has Romo starting (same bye week as Favre) with his WR consisting of Smith (Car), Jennings, and 85. Team 2 has Schaub starting with his WR consisting of S. Moss, Sims-Walker, and Vincent Jackson.

Team 2 is weak on WR (depending on you view of Bowe), as is team 1. All things considered, I can argue the WR is a wash. That brings it to Kolb for Favre.

3. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I missing something? Who or what is 85?

4. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Chad Johnson...aka Chad OchoCinco...aka 85. Sorry about that.

5. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never veto trades unless they are completely and totally blatant. Before the season, nothing is really blatant. Fact is, one guy could be really high on Favre, while the other is high on Kolb. I know a LOT of fantasy experts are really high on Kevin Kolb, while they think Favre isn't going to have anyone to throw to.

I'd let the trade through. The season hasn't started yet, and it looks more like both guys are going to be backup QBs. Anyone who starts Favre over Schaub is an idiot, honestly. As for the WR, it is a matter of perspective. Ochocinco is on a better offense with a better QB, but at the same time, with Cincy's running game and TO in town, I don't think he'll get as many looks as a guy like Bowe, who is very talented and on a team where he is one of very FEW weapons, and he is the only really good WR option.

Really, after truly evaluating it, I don't see anything wrong with that trade.

6. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

This. Let the trade go through. Favre could throw for 4000 and 25 TD's, as could Kolb. Ochocinco or Bowe could easily outproduce the other this year as well.

7. Ten Drink Drunk

Ten Drink Drunk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Overall, I agree that the team is solid, particularly at WR, but a little weak at RB. I have personally liked Forsett as a player for a couple years now, but his fantasy value is hazy as he will probably share touches with JJ and Leon Washington. I'd hang on to him for now and see if he emerges in Seattle as a clear #1. He put up good numbers last year when JJ was hurt.

I personally dislike the QB/WR combo due to the boom or bust nature of that combo. If your QB has a bad day, it's likely the receiver will as well. I would consider moving Jennings in a trade for an upgrade at RB.

I just finished drafting my first team of the year. While I don't have the QB/WR combo, I do have my RB1/WR2 on the same team, which I also dislike. This is the first time I've done the auction format and it's the first year of a keeper league so any feedback is much appreciated.

$200 auction budget, 8 teams, standard scoring, no PPR. Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/RB, TE, K, DST, 6 Bench.

QB: Brady ($26)
    RB: Ray Rice ($55)
    RB: R. Matthews ($23)
    WR: Greg Jennings ($25)
    WR: Boldin ($16)
    WR/RB: McCoy ($19)
    TE: Owen Daniels ($1)
    K: Hartley ($1)
    DST: Philly ($2)
    BN: Matt Forte ($8)
    BN: McGahee ($4)
    BN: Colston ($13)
    BN: Malcolm Floyd ($2)
    BN: Lee Evans ($2)
    BN: Palmer ($1)

Overall I'm pretty happy with the draft. I'm high on Ray Rice this year and don't think C.J.($64) and A.P.($65) will be as hot as most are projecting, so I had to overpay for Rice a bit.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the auction format and recommend it to anyone who likes FF. I can still only see this team with post-draft, rose colored glasses so go ahead and tear it apart and point out any weaknesses you see.

8. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I paired Matt Schaub with Andre Johnson last year, and it was well worth it. Rodgers is a consensus top 3 QB, and I personally have him as the top QB. Schaub was top 5 last year, and I think there was only 1 week in which Schaub and AJ ruined my week (Week 1). I don't think there is any greater chance of a QB/WR combo ruining your week if they are on the same team than if they are on different teams.

Play (and keep) the best available players, regardless of if they are on the same team, if they're playing against your fantasy defense that week, etc... Just my personal experience.

9. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Pick 3 out of 10
    Start: QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 RB/WR, TE, D/ST, K

1. (03) Adrian Perterson RB
    2. (18) Reggie Wayne WR
    3. (23) DeSean Jackson WR
    4. (38) Jonathan Stewart RB
    5. (43) LeSean McCoy RB
    6. (58) Michael Sims-Walker WR
    7. (63) Jermichael Finley TE
    8. (78) Brett Favre QB
    9. (83) Dez Bryant WR
    10. (98) Reggie Bush RB
    11. (103) Michael Bush RB
    12. (118) Josh Cribbs WR
    13. (123) Sidney Rice WR
    14. (138) Broncos D/ST
    15. (143) Kicker

Passing
    Every 50 passing yards (PY50) 1
    TD Pass (PTD) 5
    Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2
    2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2
    300-399 yard passing game (P300) 3
    Rushing
    Every 20 rushing yards (RY20) 1
    TD Rush (RTD) 6
    2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2
    100-199 yard rushing game (RY100) 3
    Receiving
    Every 20 receiving yards (REY20) 1
    TD Reception (RETD) 6
    2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2
    100-199 yard receiving game (REY100) 3
    Miscellaneous
    Every 25 kickoff return yards (KR25) 1
    Every 25 punt return yards (PR25) 1
    Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6
    Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6
    Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6
    Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -2

10. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Here's another disaster, big money league...Standard, .5 PPR, 12 team keeper, first overall pick.

(K) ADP
    (1) Drew Brees
    (2) Cedric Benson
    (3) Michael Crabtree
    (4) Donald Driver
    (5) Mike Wallace
    (6) Owen Daniels
    (7) Marion Barber
    (8) Santonio Holmes
    (9) Chester Taylor
    (10) Mason Krosby
    (11) Jason Campbell
    (12) DJ Williams (IDP)
    (13) Skins DST

3 drafts, 3 first picks. Not all it's cracked up to be. I'm done. Good luck to everyone this year. I'll be chiming in from time to time and matchups and the like this year. I'm not feeling as good as I normally do after my drafts, but hey, maybe that's a good thing.

11. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Guy just offered me Steve Smith (NYG) and Cedric Benson for Andre. I'm inclined to accept because I think it upgrades my RB position more than it's going to downgrade my WR position (I'm really high on Cincy's O this year.) Thoughts?

12. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm inclined to tell you not to do the deal. My reasons are that I just don't believe that NYG Steve Smith is that great. He is a good possession receiver, but he is a HUGE downgrade from Andre, who is the best WR in football (IMHO). I also don't think Benson will get all the touches he got last year. Not that last year was a fluke, but with more weapons at Cincy's disposal, and everyone expecting them to run run run, I expect them to start slinging it a bit more to balance things out. Ochocinco and T.O. aren't going to be happy if they aren't getting a healthy number of targets, and they will be vocal about it. If you replaced Andre with Jennings, I'd be more inclined to accept.

13. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I agree the WR dropoff would probably be too much, so see what other receivers he has and try to get someone a bit better. If he balked I still may do it just for the fact that I don't think Charles is going to be that big this year. I really think Jones is going to keep getting more and more carries to the point that it ends up being pretty much a committee. Benson may not be as good as he was early last year but he's going to be the back in Cincy.

14. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Had my draft tonight. I got the 14th pick (awesome) in a snake draft, and it did not go so well. Taking two picks in a row and then waiting 26 picks to draft again sucked. Also I should mention in addition to the spots above, we have 4 BN and 2 IR spots. Our commish wanted to force more moves and less sitting players on the bench. Here it goes:

(14) Ryan Grant RB
    (15) Reggie Wayne WR
    (42) Tony Romo QB
    (43) Matt Forte RB
    (70) Jermichael Finley TE
    (71) Wes Welker WR
    (98) Donald Brown RB
    (99) Eagles D/ST D/ST
    (126) Darren McFadden RB
    (127) Devery Henderson WR
    (154) Jacoby Jones WR
    (155) Bernard Scott RB
    (182) Neil Rackers K

So, help? I realized my kicker is fighting for his spot so that will probably have to change but really who cares. Honestly I don't know anything about 80% of these players so any advice is appreciated.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For a 14 team league, that isn't an awful team. Your RBs are at least guaranteed to get touches, and IMHO, Ryan Grant is vastly underrated. Finley will be one of the top 3 TEs in the game. Wayne is a top 5 WR, and Romo projects to a top 10 QB.

Here is how I see your lineup:

QB: Romo
    WR: Wayne
    WR: Welker
    RB: Grant
    RB: Forte
    RB/WR: Donald Brown/Devery Henderson (Depending on matchups and Addai's availability)
    Def: Eagles
    K: Rackers (He is currently the favorite to win the position)

Really, that isn't awful, especially in a 14 team league.

I'd advise you to keep a close eye on Welker. He is coming off of ACL/MCL surgery on one of his knees. He is widely known to be a super-tough player, but even the toughest player could run into issues coming off of that particular surgery. If, for any reason, Welker goes down, immediately pick up his replacement, Julian Edelman.
    Also, your flex position is one that I'm not sure about. Brown is a backup, and Henderson is very hot/cold, and is virtually impossible to predict. One week he'll get 100 yards and a touchdown, the next he won't get squat, so it is tough to play him reliably. Jacoby Jones is an interesting pick. A lot of people project him to be a strong sleeper, so keep a close eye on him, too.

Overall, with the last pick in a 14 team league, you could have done MUCH MUCH worse.

16. travis

travis
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

There's a guy in my league (10 team, non-ppr), that is really trying to get adrian peterson from me. We've gone back and forth on some offers, and this is his latest:

He gets: Adrian Peterson

I get: Randy Moss
    Jahvid Best
    T.J. Houshmanzadeh

My revievers are pretty weak (Right now I have Boldin, Pierre Garcon, and Hakeem Nicks), and I have some decent RB's already (Steven Jackson, Beanie Wells, Knowshon Moreno), so I'm really thinking about it, but I hate getting rid of my 1st round pick before the season even starts.

Any thoughts?

17. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Because I had the last pick in my draft, I am #1 in the waiver order. We have two IR spots on our teams. What do you think about picking up Sidney Rice? I don't know how long he will be out or if he is worth using my #1 position. But on the other hand, with 14 people in my league, there aren't many other good players to pick up right now. Should I get him or save my #1 position for later? I know others are planning on picking up Rice this week if I don't.

18. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whew, that is a tough one. I guess the question is: who do you have more faith in, Garcon/Nicks or Jackson/Beanie?

Personally, I have zero confidence in Beanie Wells this year. I avoided him like the plague at every draft, and I think he'll not do much of anything this year. His team's offense is in shambles, and the downgrade at QB from Warner to Anderson is staggering. Plus, he has Hightower poaching carries, especially at the goal line. To be, Beannie Wells is, at best, a backup or flex.

Best isn't bad, and he is projected to have a good season in a slightly-revived Lions offense. If you took that trade, your starters would have to be Best and Jackson. Neither is on a team that was any good last year, and neither is on a team that is projected to break .500 this year, yet both are considered monumentally talented backs. It would be a gamble, honestly. Your starting WRs would become Boldin, Moss, and Garcon/Housh (on a matchup-by-matchup basis). Ask yourself which roster you like more. Do you like the absolutely guaranteed yardage that AP will get you every week, or would you rather flip the coin and hope that Best (a rookie) is as good as everyone seems to think he is?

That is kind of tough, honestly. I think I'd take the deal, based on the fact that I have confidence that Best will be pretty good. Are YOU confident in a rookie back, though? If you're not, I wouldn't do it.

19. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

First trade offer for this team:

I give Justin Forsett and Jay Cutler

I get Philip Rivers

I'm thinking that I need to take this deal and run, but I'm worried about my RB depth if one of my starters go down. He has lost 3 RBs already this preseason, so he is desperate for help, and he was an idiot who drafted Aaron Rogers and then drafted Rivers 2 or 3 rounds later.

Thoughts?

20. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Considering its not even a sure thing that Forsett will be the starter, I'd make the deal. There's some risk that you could be losing out on this year's Jamal Charles, but there's also the risk that you pass up on a good QB for a RB that you'll end up dropping in 3 weeks. I personally don't believe Cutler will be great this year, and I'm a Bears fan. So yeah, I'd make that trade if it were my team.