Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking auction league, $200 to spend.

QB- Aaron Rodgers
    WR- Andre Johnson
    WR-Braylon Edwards
    RB-Joseph Addai
    RB-Ronnie Brown
    TE- Zack Miller
    K-Garrett Heartley
    DEF- Bengals
    FLEX-Ricky Williams

WR- Percy Harvin
    RB-Steve Slaton
    QB-Matt Cassell
    WR-Josh Cribbs
    DEF-Pats
    TE-Todd Heap
    RB-Taschard Choice

I screwed myself by paying to much for AJ, I also would have rather gotten Brees.

2. roy jones

roy jones
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

10 team league, 6/td, 1 for every 10 p/r/rec, 1 for every 10 punt/kickoff return (goes to individuals, not defenses). QB-RB-RB-WR-WR-RB/WR-TE-DEF-PK

QB-Joe Flacco*
    RB-Pierre Thomas*
    RB-Michael Turner*
    RB-Ryan Grant*
    RB-Ahmad Bradshaw
    RB-Ladamian Tomlinson
    RB-Arian Foster
    WR-Percy Harvin*
    WR-Pierre Garcon*
    WR-Devin Hester
    WR-Dez Bryant
    WR-Ted Ginn Jr
    WR-Brandon Tate
    TE-Zach Miller*
    DEF-NOR*
    Pk-Adam Vinatieri*

This was an odd draft for me. First of all, this is the first year I've played in a league that gave points for kick return yardage. As Hester, Ginn, and Tate are worthless as WR, they may play a good flex position if necessary. Secondly, I drafted with idiots. Elite WR were depleted by round 3 (Strangely though, the only one taken that had return duty was Cribbs.), TEs started getting drafted in the 3rd round, DEF started going in round 5, and 1 guy took Favre and Ryan in the 2nd. This left a buffet of RB talent on the table which I could not resist. This left my WR weak (Harvin=migranes, Garcon=ok), and me only carrying 1 QB. With the depth of TEs this year, I wasn't concerned about carrying a second. Since Flacco's bye is week 8, I may be able to package an RB (Turner and Bradshaw's byes are 8, Thomas and Grant are 10) for an upgrade to my WR/QB midseason. I normally only carry 1 DEF and 1 PK anyways.

Who's played in a league that has the punt/kick return yardage for individuals tied in? Are these players viable flex, or do I rid myself of these thoughts and upgrade from the waiver wire?

3. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've played in leagues with return yards. It depends on the points. We had always limited return yard points, because guys can rack up return yards quickly, especially on kickoffs. Given how many points you get for return yards, it isn't a bad idea to target guys who are both WR and returners. Hester of two years ago would've been a great WR2 in that league, but since I don't know if he is actually a return guy anymore, I don't know how valuable he is (Daniel Manning does kick returns, and they'll mix in Johnny Knox, too, so he'd be a good get if you can find him).

Bottom line: if a guy reliably returns kickoffs (not necessarily punts, those are much more of a crap-shoot in terms of return yards), they can rack up 80 to 100 return yards a game. Most guys get about 20 yards per kick return, so in theory, if their team gets scored on a lot and he is returning 4 to 5 kickoffs a game, that is 80 to 100 yards, which means 8 to 10 points. Add in punt returns, and they can be pretty good scorers.

Side note: We eliminated this stat in my league this year. Not sure why, but the league members hated it.

4. travis

travis
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just drafted for my 10 team keeper league (you keep 2 players every year). 6 points for passing, rushing, and recieving touchdowns, and 1 p/p/r.

QB - Peyton Manning
    WR - Larry Fitzgerald*
    WR - Anquan Boldin
    WR - Michael Crabtree
    RB - Adrian Peterson*
    RB - Knowshon Moreno
    TE - Brent Celek
    W/R - Malcolm Floyd
    BN - Steve Slaton
    BN - Matt Ryan
    BN - Eddie Royal
    BN - Lawrence Maroney
    BN - Steve Breaston
    BN - Mario Manningham

K - Rob Bironas
    Def- Baltimore

* My keepers from last year

Overall, I like my team a lot. I don't think Fitzgerald will dominate as much without Warner, but he should still be good. Hopefully Floyd will be solid at the start of the season at least, with Vincent Jackson being suspended. I don't like my backup RB's at all, but there's not many guys I can pick up that will be any better.

But who knows, I always think my team is great after I draft, and usually end up being wrong. Any tips would be cool.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We are seeing a big time changing of the guard this year, who would ever have thought that a team with Clinton Portis, LT, TO, Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer and Owen Daniels would be below average?

I was hoping guys could send out tips, articles and info on players, injuries and the depth chart this year. Because of our locations some of us might get intel faster or more reliable than others. Also CBS sportsline can drop the ball occasionally, (it was a board member that saved me with the Sims-Walker situation last year)

Is Percy Harvin suffering from migraines or concussions? I have seen both and of course I have him.

In Houston I believe Foster is RB number one will Slaton be platooned or does he still have a shot at getting his job back?

Portis, Parker, LJ, I would think Portis would be a low 2 high number 3 but could the other two start as a flex player?

J Stewart vs. D'Angelo? I always felt Stewart was an excellent flex option is he trying to dethrone D'Angelo this year? Does he have any shot?

Ronnie Brown vs. Ricky Williams?

J Addai vs. Donald Brown?

How about Felix Jones and Tashard Choice, will they be used as a platoon?

Is Reggie Bush more valuable than just a flex player? How about LT?

Obviously I have much information on this but I'm curious for what the board members think.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just had my draft. 12 man league. Start 2 QBs with 4 points per TD. No PPR. Other than that standard scoring. I had 11th pick.

Starters:

QB: Phililp Rivers
    QB: Kyle Orton (maybe Leinhart instead if he starts)

RB: Frank Gore
    RB: Ryan Grant

Flex: Matt Forte

WR: Chad Ochocinco
    WR: Steve Smith (giants)

TE: Tony Gonzalez

DST: Broncos

K: Robbie Gould

Bench:
    - Ben Roethlisberger
    - Matt Leinhart
    - Lee Evans
    - Owen Daniels
    - Fred Jackson
    - Correll Buckhalter
    - Golden Tate

Aaron Rodgers went 4th overall, which I found odd considering only 4 points per TD opposed to the 6 RBs get. Ray Rice went 8th, and for a second I thought he might fall to me. I wasn't thrilled with Gore, but when he was still there at 11th I figured I didn't have a choice. My second QB spot is a bit fubared right now, but I figured I could move around with match ups and if Roethlisberger is back to form after the suspension I'll be in a great spot.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my team. I'd like to be stronger at the WR position, but I don't feel like I have any glaring holes.

7. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So pissed when playing with donks. We have teams that have Steven Jackson + Frank Gore (6th) and Michael Turner, Andre Johnson, and Calving Johnson (11th) Really?. Fuck, fuck, fuck. There are three teams in this league that destroy the team below on paper.

Here were go, 12 players, standard, 6 pts per passing TD. First overall pick.

(1) AP
    (2) L. Fitzgerald
    (3) Brady
    (4) Jonathan Stewart
    (5) Dwayne Bowe
    (6) Tony Gonzales
    (7) Santana Moss
    (8) Jerome Harrison
    (9) Eagles
    (10) Willis McGahee
    (11) Braylon Edwards
    (12) Jason Campbell
    (13) Fred Davis
    (14) Nate Kaeding
    (15) Demaryous Thomas
    (16) M. Massoquoi

8. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Haven't played fantasy in at least 3 years. Opinions extremely welcome.

QB: Peyton Manning

WR: Larry Fitzgerald
    WR: Hines Ward
    WR: Dwayne Bowe

RB: Ryan Grant
    RB: Ronnie Brown

TE: Visanthe Shaincoe

K: Lawrence Tynes

DEF: Indianapolis Colts

BN: Eli Manning
    BN: Jamaal Charles
    BN: Justin Forsett
    BN: Dustin Keller
    BN: Roy Williams
    BN: Jerome Harrison

1) In my high stupor I drafted 5 RB's. I'll probably shop for a WR.

2) That is the order I picked them as well.

9. DrunkBilliken

DrunkBilliken
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Had my second draft of the year earlier tonight. Pretty much standard Yahoo scoring, but 6 pts per passing TD instead of the standard 4 pts. 12 team league, I had the 9th pick.

1. (9) Frank Gore
    2. (16) Peyton Manning
    3. (33) Beanie Wells
    4. (40) Chad Ochocinco
    5. (57) Felix Jones
    6. (64) Jeremy Maclin
    7. (81) Mike Wallace
    8. (88) Devin Aromashodu
    9. (105) John Carlson
    10. (112) Brandon Jacobs
    11. (129) Alex Smith
    12. (136) Pittsburgh
    13. (153) Demaryius Thomas
    14. (160) Dexter McCluster
    15. (177) Josh Scobee

I like this team better than my previous one, but now that I look at it again Beanie Wells is jumping out at me as a "huh?" moment. We'll see.

10. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I had my second draft tonight. I am significantly less pleased with this one. I picked 12th in a 12 team league.
    This league has standard scoring, 6 points per passing TD, .5 PPR, and heavy bonuses for yardage (1 point at 100, 2 points at 150, 3 points at 200 for rushing/receiving, and 1 point at 300, 2 points at 350, 3 points at 400 for passing).

1-12 Andre Johnson (WR1)
    2-13 Matt Schaub (QB)
    3-36 Jahvid Best (RB1)
    4-37 LeSean McCoy (RB2)
    5-60 Wes Welker (WR2)
    6-61 Jeremy Maclin (WR3)
    7-84 Joseph Addai (Bench)
    8-85 Dustin Keller (TE)
    9-108 Nate Burleson (Bench)
    10-109 Reggie Bush (Bench)
    11-132 Legedu Naanee (Bench, sleeper)
    12-133 San Francisco D/ST (Def)
    13-156 Golden Tate (Bench, sleeper)
    14-157 Julian Edelmen (insurance for Welker)
    15-180 Sebastian Janikowski (K)

I got there half way into the first round, and found that there was a HUGE run on RBs in the first round. For example, Michael Turner and Mendenhall went before Andre Johnson, in a PPR league. The first 9 picks were all RBs, followed by Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees at 10 and 11. This astonished me. As the draft developed, I realized some of the guys there were complete idiots. One guy wasn't even writing down who he was drafting, so when he finally decided it was important to know who he had, he realized he had a QB, 4 running backs, a tight end, and zero wide receivers. In a fucking PPR league. Astonishing.

One guy picked both Santonio Holmes without knowing he was suspended for the first 4 games, and he also took Ben Tate, without bothering to research the fact that he was injured and out THE ENTIRE YEAR! Ben Tate got taken in round 10, for fuck sake! While I'm not thrilled with my draft, I have to beat these idiots... there are seriously some stupid fuckin people in this league.

I like having the Shaub/Johnson Combo. I also took Shaub as the 3rd QB taken (Brees and Rodgers were gone when I picked). I think he is going to have a great year, and it will be nice to have that combo. I am concerned about not having a backup QB, especially with a QB that is somewhat injury prone, but I figured I could use Addai or Bush as trade bait as bye weeks approach. Any advice is appreciated.

11. Old Crow

Old Crow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Drafted last night. 12 team, competitive league, standard scoring, 4 points for passing TD's, 6 for rushing, .5 PPR. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 D/ST, 1 K

QB: Kevin Kolb (7), Big Ben (11)
    RB: Ryan Mathews (2), Javhid Best (4), Arian Foster (6), LT (9), Fred Jackson (10), Bernard Scott (13), Javon Ringer (14)
    WR: Andre Johnson (1), Marques Colston (3), Johnny Knox (8), Malcolm Floyd (12)
    TE: Jermichael Finley (5)
    D/ST: Chargers (15)
    K: Who Cares (16)

Almost all my picks are high-upside picks. If I took a QB early, I wanted either Rodgers in the 2nd, Romo in the 3rd, or Schaub in the 5th. Since none were available to me at those spots, I took the best player available, and paired a potentially good QB with Big Ben. I figure if Kolb is sucking, I'll be ready to bench him around week 5, when Roethlisberger will be back anyway.

Kinda reached on Mathews in the 2nd (was hoping Deangelo would be there) but when Norv said he is getting 300+ carries and his share of goal line touches on that offense, I'll settle for it. Missed out on Greg Jennings by 1 pick in the 3rd, and basically had a choice between Colston and Desean Jackson - I wanted Best in the 4th regardless. Colston will have some inconsistent weeks just because Brees spreads it around so much, but having AJ as my #1 WR should help balance out the bad weeks.

My best 3 RB's have started about 3 NFL games in their career combined, but I'm ok with that. Rookie RB's can do well when they have the talent and are in the right situation - I think that applies to Best and Mathews. Foster will get 250+ touches and all the goalline touches on a top 5 NFL offense... I'll take 1000 and 10TDs from my #3 RB.

I think Finley finishes the year as the #1 TE, so I had no problem taking him in the 5th. My favorite pick was LT in the 9th round. Jets ran it ~650 times last year. Even if Greene gets 400 of those carries (unlikely), LT is looking at ~200, plus ALL the 3rd down receiving out of the backfield, and some goalline duties. As my 4th RB, he could provide some great trade bait during the year, or even replace one of my top 3 if anyone gets hurt. I also think Fred Jackson will be the #1 in Buffalo - despite all the CJ hype - so I figured he was worth a 10th rounder when his hand heals.

Jackson, Knox, and Floyd were sleeper picks, Bernard Scott and Ringer are dependent on Benson/ CJ getting injured. I could use some more WR depth, but with my RB depth, I'm not too worried about it.

12. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Had my 10 team draft yesterday. PPR for RB's only, sorta QB heavy scoring.

QB Kolb
    RB Jones-Drew
    RB Frank Gore
    WR Colston
    WR Boldin
    WR Harvin
    TE Vernon Davis
    K Vinateri
    D/ST San Francisco 49ers

QB Eli Manning
    RB Jonathan Stewart
    RB Michael Bush
    WR Devin Aromashodu
    WR Steve Breaston
    TE Dustin Keller
    K Mason Crosby
    D/ST Houston Texans

We got MJD at 8 and then Gore at 13, somehow. Very early run of QB's and WR's left us with an average core of wideouts with potential, but I'm happy with our QB in Kolb since we got him somewhere near the 8th round. Thoughts?

13. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Standard Yahoo League with a few friends of mine and some friends of theirs. 10 person league, I had the 7th pick:

1 - Andre Johnson
    2 - Aaron Rodgers
    3 - Greg Jennings
    4 - Jamaal Charles
    5 - Beanie Wells
    6 - Mike Sims-Walker
    7 - Malcolm Floyd
    8 - Justin Forsett
    9 - Kellen Winslow
    10 - Thomas Jones
    11 - Zack Miller
    12 - Matthew Stafford
    13 - Laurence Maroney
    14 - New Orleans
    15 - Ryan Longwell

Overall I'm pretty pleased. I was worried when I didn't have a running back after the first 3 rounds, and I may have reached for Jennings a little, but Charles and Wells in the 4th and 5th means a lot of upside. Also with Forsett and Maroney I think I can piece together 2 RBs a week. Any criticism and/or trade advice is welcome.

14. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Just had a 10 team standard yahoo scoring and positions draft....and I'm pretty sure I cleaned up. With the 2nd overall pick(highest ever!) I got:

QB: Eli Manning(6), Vince Young(11), Big Ben(15)
    RB: Chris Johnson(1), Cedric Benson(3), Felix Jones(9), Matt Forte(10), Donald Brown(14)
    WR: Calvin Johnson(2), Hakeem Nicks(4), Percy Harvin(7), Devin Aromashodu(12), Bernard Berrian(13)
    TE: Antonio Gates(5), Dustin Keller(16)
    Def: Pittsburgh(8), San Diego(17)
    K: David Akers(18)

Granted it's a 10 team league so talent is thick, but I still think I got away like a bandit. Cedric Benson makes me uneasy but I figure if he doesn't pan out then surely either Felix Jones, Matt Forte or Donald Brown will. Plus I have Chris Johnson so RB position = whatevs. I think I may have reached on Hakeem Nicks but I think what Randy Moss and Wes Welker are for the pats, Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith can be for the Giants, albeit a bit less talented. Nicks is a speedster with lots of big play potential while Steve Smith is an excellent route runner. I see lots of parallels. I'm glad I was able to get Bernard Berrian as he will be my insurance policy for Percy Harvin if those migraine issues persist. Plus, I have Antonio Gates at TE who is as good as a #2 receiver especially now that Rivers' options have diminished. Also, I can't believe I got Big Ben as late as I did. I'm perfectly happy with letting him ride the bench while Eli Manning goes to work with that amazing receiving corps and let the two of them duke it out when he returns. 15th round is crazy.

Opinions are appreciated.

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your WRs will be great, and Aaron Rodgers will be exceptionally solid. I am a big fan of the QB/WR combo, so I love that you have Jennings and Rodgers. However, Beanie will be, in my opinion, awful (no line, no QB), and realistically, starting Jones and Charles, who are in the same backfield, at the same time, will virtually never be a good option. I'm also not high on Forsett, but others seem to be. I just don't think that Seattle will be any kind of good.

I also noticed that you lack some WR depth, which will make trading from strength problematic.

My advice is watch the waiver wire CLOSELY for another RB that can fill in. If you can find a guy who is this year what Jamaal Charles was last year, you should be a very, very solid team. As it is, I think your top WRs and QB will carry you to the playoffs, but your lack of depth at WR might hurt if someone gets injured, and I have very little faith in your RBs.

16. c$money

c$money
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

2nd team, this one with some friends. .5 PPR, 10 pt. bonus for 400+ yard passing, 200+ yard rushing and receiving games. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 RB/WR flex. Standard ESPN scoring otherwise. 8 team league, so every team is pretty stacked. I had the 1st overall pick.

Starters

QB Tony Romo (6)
    RB Chris Johnson (1)
    RB Jamaal Charles (4)
    RB LeSean McCoy (5)
    WR Randy Moss (2)
    WR Miles Austin (3)
    TE Brent Celek (9)
    K Mason Crosby (14)
    D/ST 49ers (11)

Bench
    WR Michael Crabtree (7)
    RB Jahvid Best (8)
    WR Dez Bryant (10)
    TE Chris Cooley (12)
    QB Kevin Kolb (13)
    RB LaDanian Tomlinson (14)
    WR Josh Cribbs (15)

17. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Finished my first of two live drafts last night. 10 team league, 6 pts for all TDs, including throws, 2 pt bonues for plays over 40, non PPR. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR 1 RB/WR, 1 TE, 1 DST, 1 K. 15 man rosters, and I had the 7th spot.

1. Drew Brees
    2. Ryan Grant
    3. Calvin Johnson
    4. Ryan Matthews
    5. Vernon Davis
    6. Hines Ward
    7. Hakeem Nicks
    8. Mike Wallace
    9. Bernard Berrian
    10. Dex Bryant
    11. Willis McGahee (This wasn't who I wanted, but I hit the wrong button, and ESPN thought this is who I should have)
    12. Brandon Jackson
    13. Mewelde Moore
    14. Panthers
    15. Jay Feely

I stopped paying attention as closely as I should have towards the late rounds, but I think the core guys are pretty solid. I will have some bye week issues during week 10, but otherwise, I feel like I'm in decent shape.

18. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So I need some advice. I have been playing fantasy for two years now but this year our league has 14 people, which I think is far too many. My football knowledge is somewhat limited so I am expecting to not even recognize names by the 4th or 5th round. Does anyone have any drafting advice for a league of this size? Any tips for breakout stars this year?

It is pretty much standard ESPN rules with QB, 2 RB, RB/WR, 2 WR, TE, D/ST, K. My draft is at 8:00 Thursday night.

19. mrwoliachi

mrwoliachi
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

To the person who posted above me - I am in my second league ever (first in years) and it was an auction draft with 14 guys. Here are my results.

4 Vincent Jackson*, SD WR $19
    20 Miles Austin, Dal WR $34
    27 Garrett Hartley, NO K $4
    32 Pierre Thomas, NO RB $25
    42 Philip Rivers, SD QB $29
    67 Matt Forte, Chi RB $19
    88 Brent Celek, Phi TE $14
    89 Hakeem Nicks, NYG WR $9
    94 Tim Hightower, Ari RB $6
    95 Montario Hardesty, Cle RB $5
    103 Steve Breaston, Ari WR $9
    108 Alex Smith, SF QB $8
    109 Laurence Maroney, NE RB $8
    114 Cadillac Williams, TB RB $6
    151 Devery Henderson, NO WR $1 ( I dropped Henderson for Mike Williams (TB) )
    163 Broncos D/ST, Den D/ST $1

Thoughts: I was uneasy with the auction because it was very helter skelter and a lot of my opponents have years of experience. I'm bummed about Vincent Jackson. At the time of the draft he was going to miss three games but now he might sit the entire season over contract disputes.. STILL.. I'm comfortable waiting 6 games for him to return because I have a lot of confidence in my WRs - Austin, Nicks, Breaston and Williams.

If anyone needs a wide receiver I would go for Mike Williams of TB - He's got a lot of talent and is slotted to be the no. 1 WR. He is a plus for anyone needing depth at WR and has a lot of upside. He should be available in most leagues. Also, today the Buccaneers discarded Derrick Ward so the bucks are going to be Cadillac Williams/Kareem Huggins - Huggins should get touches if Williams is a bust so if you want to gamble on another RB I'd try Huggins.

I didn't like the auction at first but now looking back I don't see myself ever going back to snake. The auction takes a lot more skill and provides a (somewhat) fair market opportunity for all of the league's players.

20. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

In an auction, why the fuck you would ever spend more than $1 on a kicker is beyond me?