Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Thread 2010

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The other legitimate running back in GB is Brandon Jackson. It could just be preseason hype, but the coaches are certainly high on him. With Grant being semi-injury-prone, I like B. Jackson as a late round flier, or most certainly as a handcuff if you own Ryan Grant. I think if Grant proves ineffective you could see Jackson out there in no time.

As far as busts go, I think Larry Fitzgerald will qualify as such when the season ends. A) His QBs are absolutely terrible and B) He's a bit injured.... Just look at what Megatron did last year, and I would say that Matt Stafford, despite being a rookie, was still superior to Leinart or Derek Anderson.... I wouldn't draft Larry Fitzgerald like a top 5 WR this year..... Especially when you have other options like A. Johnson, Moss, Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, or Greg Jennings...

2. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a packer fan I've been calling for Jackon to get more carries for awhile now, but there's no reason to think it's going to happen. Grant very rarely misses playing time, and he's coming off a relatively strong season. If you really want Jackson, I'd wait until the 9th round, or later.

I have to agree on Fitzgerald though. He might be the most talented receiver in the league, but with Boldin gone he's going to draw more coverage. Leinhart has bust written all over him. I expect he'll be terrible again this year.

3. thefish

thefish
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Advice Please

I have a draft coming up next week for my keeper league. I managed to draw the 2nd overall pick and could use some advice on who to draft.
    postitions are QB, 2RB, 3WR, W/R - pretty standard scoring except passing TDs are 6 pts, and 0.5 PPR

My keepers are Andre Johnson, Ray Rice and Reggie Wayne

Top available players are Ryan Mathews, Pierre Thomas, Miles Austin, Tony Romo, Jahvid Best and Jamaal Charles.
    I'm assuming Mathews will go first, and then I'm leaning towards Romo since basically all the other top QBs are gone.
    Am I crazy for passing up Thomas or Austin?

4. cargasm66

cargasm66
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm having a little trouble deciding how I should draft. It's a 12-team Non-PPR league, with 1pt per 50 Passing yds, and 6pt passing touchdowns (standard Yahoo Scoring beyond that). I've got 3rd draft pick, and it's a snake draft, which means I have the 3rd and 22nd (and 25th) overall picks. Following OldCrow's advice above, should I wait on a QB till the 2nd/3rd round, and snag a decent RB or WR the first couple rounds? Last year I rode Drew Brees' coattails into the championship game, and I'd really like to be able to have that sort of security again... But OldCrow makes a damn good case for getting a high performing RB first, I'm just worried about having to wait that long for a QB

5. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Picking there, you can probably get MJD and Tony Romo with those two picks. This is assuming Chris Johnson and AP go as the first two picks.

Personally, if I were picking there, I'd take MJD. Then, in the second round, take the best available player, whether it be a QB (I could see Romo, Shaub, or Brady being available as QBs, pending there isn't a second-round run on QBs. I would NOT take a RB with my 2nd round pick, though, I'd take the best available QB or WR.

6. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

D26's advice is quite sound. You may want to consider Ray Rice though because Yahoo gives points per reception doesn't it? I always agree with getting a QB on the way back as well, if you can't try for one of the Johnson's, Moss, Fitzgerald, (almost all will be gone by the time it comes back) or maybe Michael Crabtree. Figure A. Rodgers Brees and Manning will be gone so Romo would be a nice grab.

7. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Had my first draft of the season last night and I'm pretty happy. Pretty standard scoring 6pts/TD, 1pt/10 rec&rush yard, 1pt/30 pass yards, defense standard. We had a big run on QB's early and a kind of early defense run. We only have 2 WR playing so I took some high reward picks later in the draft since we have big benches. I had the 5th pick

QB: Philip Rivers (4th Round)
    WR: Roddy White (3rd Round)
    WR: Anquan Boldin (5th Round)
    RB: Ray Rice (1st Round)
    RB: Ryan Matthews (2nd Round)
    TE: Chris Cooley (12th Round)
    K: Dan Carpenter (16th Round)
    Def: Philadelphia (8th Round)

Bench:
    QB: Matt Ryan (10th Round)
    WR: Mike Sims-Walker (7th Round)
    WR: Pierre Garcon (9th Round)
    WR: Kenny Britt (13th Round)
    WR: Sidney Rice (14th Round)
    RB: Knowshon Moreno (6th Round)
    RB: Donald Brown (11th Round)
    RB: Leon Washington (15th Round)

I jumped early on Britt but otherwise I'm pretty happy. I'm thinking Washington becomes the top back in Seattle pretty early and I'm hoping Brown keeps getting more time so I can maybe package one of them w/ Boldin later for a premiere WR. Rice in the 14th may be a wasted pick, but even if he's back for 5 weeks what better player would I have gotten there?

8. c$money

c$money
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Re: General Fantasy Football Threa 2010

Standard Yahoo! scoring, 10 team league, 2nd overall pick, no PPR

Starters
    QB Joe Flacco
    WR Miles Austin
    WR Michael Crabtree
    WR Malcom Floyd
    RB Adrian Peterson
    RB Steven Jackson
    TE Brent Celek
    K Mason Crosby
    D/ST New York Giants

Bench
    RB Jamaal Charles
    RB Jonathon Stewart
    WR Derrick Mason
    WR Jacoby Jones
    WR Joshua Cribbs
    QB Chad Henne

9. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

To go with the above I've just found out I'm the 3rd pick of a 10 team snake draft. I'll probably end up taking MJD/AP/Chris Johnson -- whoever is there with my preference being Johnson then AP then MJD.

After that I will probably continue to take the top RB or WR for the next few rounds and get a QB in the 6/7th rounds and one more later. Then grab a TE/D/K in the last 3 rounds and fill the rest with prospects at WR/RB.

This seem like a good strategy?

10. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Waiting that long for a QB seems like a mistake. Plus, going into a draft saying that you are, for sure, waiting to take a QB til so late is just a mistake.

What if the 3rd round comes around and someone like, say, Matt Shaub or Tony Romo is somehow still on the board. You can't skip a QB like that.

Beside that, you always take best available. What if round 5 comes around, and you still don't have a QB or TE. Your RBs are full and you have two WR. You'd be silly not to look at TE or QB for your next pick. At that round, you could probably get a top 3 TE (unless there is an earlier run on Tight Ends).

To me, TE is one of the most overlooked positions in fantasy. They don't rack up a lot of yardage, but they can be TD machines on certain teams. The drop off between elite TEs and the rest is fucking huge. A TE like Dallas Clark can really help a team hugely, while a lower-end TE won't even come close to matching his output.

My point is, when going into a draft, having a strategy for the first two rounds is good. However, if you go into a draft saying you are ignoring any given position until a certain round is silly. After round 2 or so, take the best available player according to your needs. You don't know who will be left after a certain round. What if there is a huge run on QBs in round 3, and by the time you plan to draft your QB, not only are the top QBs gone, but a few guys have even drafted backups, leaving you with a shit starting QB.

After round 2 (maybe even earlier), draft strategy goes out the door, and the only true solid strategy is to draft the best available player.

11. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't even bother with a real strategy, just learn the players and decide who you like and who you'll stay away from. Then I come up with my sleeper picks and go to the draft. You can have the best strategy in the world but it won't mean dick when there is a run of positions early or late and it totally changes the entire draft.

12. Sleeves

Sleeves
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's my first year doing fantasy football in a 12 man league. Im pretty happy with my team considering we did a live draft at a friends house and I couldn't research while drafting so that kind of sucked, but I would love some advice.

QB Drew Brees,
    QB Alex Smith,
    RB Frank Gore,
    RB Cadillac Williams
    WR DeSean Jackson
    WR Santana Moss
    WR Jeremy Maclin
    TE Jason Witten
    DP Jon Beason
    D/ST 49ers
    K Lawrence Tynes

Bench RB Knowshon Moreno
    Bench WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    Bench WR Santonio Holmes
    Bench QB Josh Freeman

I generally put alot of faith in younger players and like taking gambles with my players which is why I went with knowshon and cadillac as my backup RBs

I went 2,3 with gore and jackson cause I feel like they should both have a really solid year. Brees should stay strong and I feel like Beason may rack up some nice points for me

13. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your draft doesn't look bad. Clearly, this is a 2 QB league. My advice:

--Keep a close eye on Alex Smith. Who knows how long his leash will be in San Fran, considering most think that the team is poised to make a big jump towards the playoffs, so if their offense sputters, Alex will be riding the pine quickly.

--DeSean Jackson is either going to have great games or awful games. He will go as Kevin Kolb goes. I am weary of DeSean for the same reason I'm weary of Larry Fitzgerald (although I am SIGNIFICANTLY more weary of Fitzgerald), and that is that their QBs are unproven. Kolb, IMHO, will be much better than Leinart, but I'd still have concerns.

--Finally, I have little faith in Cadillac. Keep a close eye on the waiver wire for an upgrade at RB. Watch for injuries and the like, and look for RBs than can step up and step in. As an example, last year at certain points, Jamaal Charles and Miles Austin were on the free agent list, and they turned into fantasy Heroes in the last few weeks. At some point, look to upgrade Cadillac, I truly think he is your weakest player.

Overall, I think you have a chance at doing really well, though.

14. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm playing in a new league this year that has some squirrely rules, and I'm looking for some advice on drafting.

It's a ten team, non-PPR where thrown touchdowns are worth 6 (I have always played 4) and there are bonuses for TD throws, catches, and runs of 40+ yards.

Based on this, and depending on my draft position which I won't find out till Monday, I am thinking that if I get the #1, I'm taking CJ, but 2 and after, I'll spring for Brees. I figure that the extra 2 per TD, plus the big-play potential he's got with that offense means that he's going to be more valuable down the stretch as opposed to ending up with a second tier QB cause I hustled for RBs early. Next goal would be to nail down a big-play WR...think Austin, Johnson, Moss, COlston...young guys with speed and big arms throwing to them.

My big question is which RBs are more likely to be big-play threats? I'm not necessarily looking for the guy who's gonna get the rock 100 times a game and grind it out (someone like Gore, or Grant) but an explosive, get's outside and go to the house for 85 yards type threat. I hear that Matthews down in SD and Best up in Detroit are impressing people, but I figured I'd ask around.

15. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've played in a league that gives 6 pts/passing TD since I began playing fantasy football, and the one thing I've learned is the people who reach too early for a QB usually end on the bottom of the league. You only play 1 QB, but most leagues play at least 2 each of RBs and WRs, if not 3 each. It is more important to have good production from those positions because of the volume, basically its easier to overcome a mediocre QB with a few top RBs and WRs than it will be for 1 QB to overcome mediocre performance (or worse) from all of your RBs and WRs.

Now, if you're drafting at the tail end of the first round, say #7 and later, then Brees or Rodgers may be a great value there because its likely the top RBs are going to be gone, and outside of Andre Johnson, no WR is really worth the 7-10 picks. However, if you're at the backend and take a QB, my opinion is you would want to take Randy Moss, if available, on the comeback. He is a big play receiver, and he's the closest to consistent as a big play receiver. Personally, I try to get a good mix of solid consistent players with a few boom-or-bust picks that can take me over the top any week. There's risk to it, but if the players are booming on different weeks, it gives me the chance to win every single week.

Frankly, I think you can still afford to wait for a QB, I would imagine in the 3rd or 4th rounds someone from Manning, Brady, or Schaub will be available, unless there's an early run. If you could get a top RB in round 1, a top WR in round 2, and then one of those QBs in round 3, I think you'd be in much better shape than if you took Brees in 1 and had to settle for a less than top RB or WR in rounds 2 and 3. I think you'd especially regret it if you took Brees at #2.

Just for example, the guy with the #1 pick in my league took Rodgers (a combination of him being a Packers homer and him over-thinking our league rules as he's a new addition to the league). His #1 RB is Ryan Grant, whom he took with his #2 pick, and his #2 RB is Joseph Addai, with #3 being LT. His WRs are #1 Miles Austin, #2 Terrel Owens, and #3 Pierre Garcon. Now you may not be as bad as he is, but that lineup is terrible, and it doesn't matter how great Rodgers does, he's probably not going to overcome the rest of his roster.

16. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well argued, sir. Had a rep or two that said that AP is still the pick if I end up with the second slot, so it does seem that reaching for Brees isn't too smart.

As for the guy in your league, I really hope that I don't end up with a squad like that (though I'd never go QB/RB from the same team anyway...but I do love playing against homers!), and it would suggest that WR is the scarcest of positions this year. Who knows...this whole season seems like a clusterfuck so far. My buddy just finished the first round of one of his drafts, and the #4 pick, overall, was Jamaal Charles.

17. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

First of three drafts, 12 players, standard rules, .5 PPR, defensive incentives for total yardage <200:

(1-1) Ray Rice
    (2-25) Calvin Johnson
    (3-26) Phillip Rivers
    (4-49) Clinton Portis
    (5-50) Vernon Davis
    (6-73) Michael Wallace
    (7-74) CJ Spiller
    (8-98) SF SDT
    (9-99) Devin Aroshomado (sp)
    (10-122) Chester Taylor
    (11-123) Johnathan Dwyer
    (12-146) Devin Hester

4 spots to be filled in on waivers, with the first pick I'll be going with Demarious Thomas. Next draft in Sunday, first overall pick, and we'll be going with Chris Johnson.

18. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just because I'm curious, why didn't you pick Chris Johnson if you had the first pick in this draft? Or, for that matter, AP or MJD. Was this a keeper league?

That actually brings up another question: When doing multiple leagues, do you try to stick to drafting the same players, if possible? I mean, every draft is different, but one of the worst feelings is having a guy in one league and then going against him in the other league.

19. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Pretty Much hedging my bets dude. I'll be taking CJ tomorrow with my first pick, and I have ADP in my keeper league. I have a gut feeling about Rice. Sure, I could be wrong, but with the other "sure-thing" RB's in my other leagues, I feel from a 30,000ft view I have a pretty good chance of being successful this year.

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, had my first draft, and to say I am pleased with it would be an understatement. I got the 1st pick in a 12 team league:
    Rushing and receiving yards are 20=1 point (2 bonus points at 100 yards)
    Passing yards are 50 = 1 point (2 point bonus at 300 yards)
    All TDs are 6 points, passing and receiving
    Finally, Tight Ends ARE wide receivers in this league. In other words, instead of a WR spot, we have a WR/TE spot.

1-1 Chris Johnson
    2-24 Tony Romo
    3-25 Reggie Wayne
    4-48 Jamaal Charles
    5-49 Jahvid Best
    6-72 Dwayne Bowe
    7-73 Jeremy Maclin
    8-96 Malcolm Floyd
    9-97 Brent Celek
    10-120 Donovan McNabb
    11-121 Nate Burleson
    12-144 Donald Brown
    13-145 Cincinnati Defense
    14-168 Legidu Naanee
    15-169 Jeff Reed

I am really pleased with this draft. Given that QBs are usually so important, I can't believe Romo fell to me at the 24th pick (some names that went first: Beanie Wells, Brett Favre, Phillip Rivers, Ryan Grant). I also couldn't believe that Reggie Wayne fell that far, but I wasn't complaining. My top 3 RBs are fantastic, too. Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, and Jahvid Best? If you'd have told me I'd have those 3 RBs, I'd have told you that you were smoking crack.

The last of my draft was a lot of high upside guys, like Flyod, Burleson, Brown, and Naanee. I am really, really pleased with how this draft went, but any feedback would be very welcome and helpful.