Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by D26, Aug 25, 2013.

1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ugh, I take it back. They have slipped from just ok to do they know they are playing football status. I am going to lose to an opponent who "played"
    Jackson and Gronkowski. I had forgotten how much I hate fantasy football

2. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My primary league this year is a first year auction keeper league. Non-PPR, lineup is 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 K, 1 DTST. I'm 3 - 0 to start the season, and my team is as follows

QB: RGIII, Andrew Luck, Tony Romo
    RB: Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, Deangelo Williams, Knowshon Moreno
    WR: Brandon Marshall, Mike Williams, Jordy Nelson, Doug Baldwin, Jerome Simpson
    TE: Jordan Cameron, Jason Witten
    DTST: Titans (streaming)
    K: Blair Walsh

I was never really interested in having 3 QBs, but I got caught price enforcing on Tony Romo for $2, and I haven't been able to unload any of them through a trade.

My question is on a trade offer I just received:

I would give up Charles and Luck, and get Aaron Rodgers and Ben Tate.

I am currently leaning towards no. As much as I would love to get Tate to back up Foster, and having Rodgers means having a no-brainer starting QB week-in and week-out. It still leaves me with three QBs that I don't want to drop, and now I've got to rely on knowing who will have a better week in the Houston backfield. That and I'm not really a big believer in trading before week 5 or 6, especially when I've yet to lose.

Any thoughts?

J

3. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How does the keeper side of this work? Do you get to keep 3 or 4 players and then redraft the rest of your lineup next year?

I'd go for that trade and I'd try to give up Romo or RG3 for someone of lesser value. Maybe a WR3 or a RB3 that has the ability to take over a starting job next year.
    You obviously aren't going to get max value for a QB this year. Beyond Peyton, almost every other QB has 50pts.

4. theRookie

theRookie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Okay...playing my first season of FF here and am stumped on who to start this week.

Current Starters:
    QB Matt Ryan
    RB1 AP
    RB2 Gore
    WR1 Brandon Marshall
    WR2 Boldin
    TE Martellus Bennett
    FLEX DJax
    D/ST Bears
    K Matt Bryant

BENCH:
    QB Eli
    RB Ryan Mathews
    RB Bernard Pierce
    RB Jacquizz Rodgers
    TE Greg Olsen (bye week, or he would be starting)
    WR Marques Colston
    WR Josh Gordon

Was also just offered a trade - Ryan Mathews for Dwayne Bowe...seems a lateral move at BEST, and my inclination is to reject it.

Thoughts on starters for this week? I know Gordon had a big game, but with Vernon back, I'm expecting Boldin to bounce back, especially against the Rams. Same story for Bernard Pierce versus Gore...did I mention I'm a 49er fan? Hard for me to be objective here.

DJax has done some good things for me at FLEX, but was quiet last week, maybe Gordon should take his spot instead? At a loss here, anybody care to weigh in?

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I too am in need of some real lineup help this week. I've got a few no-brainers to play this week but really when it comes to my WR's and Flex, I'm at a complete loss. So many less than stellar options to really try and make a solid choice.

Here's my current lineup, obviously very open to suggestions.

QB: Tony Romo
    WR: DeSean Jackson
    WR: Andre Johnson
    RB: Marshawn Lynch
    RB: Lamar Miller
    TE: Jimmy Graham
    Flex: MJD
    K: Phil Dawson
    Def: Arizona

BN: Santonio Holmes
    BN: Rueben Randle
    BN: Jay Cutler
    BN: Tyler Eifert
    BN: Dwayne Bowe
    BN: Mike Williams
    BN: Miles Austin

6. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd start Bowe and Holmes in place of MJD and Johnson.
    Everything else looks fine.

7. theRookie

theRookie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Decided to go with my gut and start my 49ers. Panned out -- almost 250 yards and 2 TD's between them. Hell yeah.

Even better, made a pretty grade trade to shore up my weakest position (TE).

I sent: Greg Olsen, Ryan Mathews, and Josh Gordon --FOR-- Brady, Gronk

Yeah, that happened. Hoping all my friends will spend the next 48 hours too intoxicated to try and veto that trade. I'm already 3-0, and looking to go 4-0

8. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im playing my husband this week in FF and I need to beat the cheating bastard. He swooped in on a waiver wire pick that he knew I made because he was up first. He must PAY

So, line up check - 10 person standard league. My team underperformed last week. My kicker almost got the highest number of points. Hopefully they all just had an off week and will do markedly better this time

QB: Ryan
    RB: Foster, Powell
    WR: Marshall, Colston
    TE: Bennett
    D/ST: NE
    K - Gostkowski

Bench:
    RB: C. Johnson, F. Jackson, P Thomas
    WR: S. Johnson, J Gordon
    TE: G Olses (Bye)

Any recommendations?

9. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I have a quandry of a trade.

I am sitting at 1-3 in my .5 PPR league. My RBs have been flat out fucking awful. I have:

Eddie Lacy (out with a concussion, but should be back next week)
    Rashard Mendenhall
    Stevan Ridley

I've just been offered a trade, where I give up Jimmy Graham (a fucking monster) and Mendenhall for Trent Richardson and Jason Witten.

It is so hard to give up a monster like Graham, but I feel like Richardson is going to have a good year in Indy, and I feel like he is a massive upgrade over all three of my RBs. He'd give me a solid every-week start at RB, and Witten can be a solid TE in PPR, but I lose a guy in Graham that is an absolute beast.

Fuck. I feel like I have to make this trade, but I really, really don't want to. Any advice?

10. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always go with the strategy that it's better to have a balanced team, instead of having one stud in a position and shit in others.
    I'm not saying Witten is as good as Graham, but he's not some schlub who isn't going to get you points. Richardson is a step up in every way.
    I would make that trade all day and twice before Sunday hits.

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In our league, Witten is averaging 7.5 pts per game.

Graham is averaging 24.8 pts per game and has a quarterback who appears to be having a monster season.

Mendenhall is averaging 6 pts. per game, while Trent is up near 9 pts... I'm just not sure I see it. Graham will undoubtedly have down weeks, which a RB may not have as many of, but you're trading away a current average of 17+ points per game, to gain a current 5-6 points per game. If you assume Trent is going to end up with a tremendous season behind Indy's O-line, well, okay - but Graham seems to be about as valuable as any player on the field right now.

Also when you consider the drop-off in tight ends... Graham is doubling the #5 guy's points (Gonzalez) - not true for any other position in the league. You end up with a position where you have a big, guaranteed advantage every week.

Just my $0.02. I've been sticking with a committee of backs, playing favorable matchups, and Graham keeps dominating.

12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you don't give up that kind of positional advantage without getting more at running back. Tight end is a relatively scarce position: no one's doing it like Graham right now, and even if he slows down to half his current output he's among the best options. Richardson hasn't actually shown me yet that the production in there. He's been marginal-starter quality, is still barely getting yards, and will need to hold off Bradshaw. It's not unreasonable, but I keep Graham.

13. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in the same boat. I've got Chris Johnson, Spiller, brandon bolden, and Isiah Pead. I got offered Gonzalez and MJD for Graham. I think I need to pull the trigger on that one.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ahh yes, MJD who is currently producing an average of less than 5 points per game on a putrid offense...

Maybe I'm focusing too much on numbers, but again, the current difference between Gonzalez and Graham is 12+ points per game. You are downgrading at tight end, so is MJD going to be a 12+ point upgrade at running back over any of your current members or any free agents? Both Johnson and Spiller are averaging more points per game than MJD.

Trading away the #1 tight end in the league should net you more than just a downgrade at the same position plus a running back who has only put up a double digit total once this season, and that only off of a TD from a turnover inside their opponent's 5 yard line.

15. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now that's not a good trade. MJD should be dropped in every league. He's no more valuable then a back up RB at this point.

16. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Andre Johnson is on waivers. Should I pick him up? If so should I drop one of my other WRs? I have marshall, Colston, S. Johnson, and Josh Gordon.

10 player standard. Unfortunately I'm 9th to pick. Also have a move in for Blackmon up now that he is back, but dont know if that will go through. I have a tight end that I picked up to cover a bye week that I could also prioritize to ditch him to get one of the WRs.

advice?

17. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd pick up Blackmon as you probably won't see Johnson go through 9 people without a pickup.
    Although Jax sucks horribly, you still need to throw to someone and he'll average 6-9pts a game with a few 16-18pt games throw in.
    I wouldn't drop any of your current receivers for either, but if you can drop someone else, I'd make a play.

*edit Actually, I'd try and trade away one of your receivers as you are pretty stacked in that area. Maybe make a play for a RB2 with a Marshall and Stevie trade and ride with what's left. This is assuming you get Blackmon or Johnson.

18. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have no idea why somebody dropped him. I was wondering if there was a catch. Right now I have it set up prioritized as Johnson #1 and Blackmon #2. (This would be in exchange for the Bennett that I don't need anymore as Olson is back off bye)

My league isn't so much on trading, so I think I need to look to waivers to improve my team.

One more question, nobody is on bye this week , but next week my QB is. I have no backup. Do I start to think about that now, or just scramble next week? Best of what is available is Schaub and Cutler. I think I could certainly part with Pierre Thomas

19. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, I think I have to refuse that trade. Graham is too much of a monster, even though my RB situation is shit, I just have to pray Eddie Lacy pans out and is at least somewhat productive.

As for the above quote, I guess I don't understand dropping Bennett for Olsen. I know you drafted Olsen to start, but Bennett has been a TD magnet for Cutler in the end zone and he is out-gained Olsen (granted Olsen had a bye) and has 3 TDs to Olsen's 1. On top of that, in the red zone, Carolina is a run team, especially with Cam Newton, while the Bears target the shit out of Bennett in the red zone. I just think Benett will be the better TE in the long run.

As for a QB, start looking at matchups that might be favorable to guys on waivers, now. See who QBs like Alex Smith, Carson Palmer, and Matt Schaub are facing. They might all be hanging out as free agents and I'd just pick the guy with the best matchup next week.

20. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank D26, you are probably right. To be honest, I just didn't give it much consideration since I just picked him up temporarily since Olsen was just "my TE". I haven't had the chance to watch Chicago at all this year, but they do seem to be doing better. I'll switch it up and if it comes back to bite me IT'S ON YOU DUDE (on a side note, I can't believe that I am relying on fucking Cutler, but he seems to be playing better).

With that being said, the most favorable week 6 outlook that is available is fucking Cutler vs the NYG? Maybe Schaub vs Rams. I think I may just wait until next week and see what is available.