Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by D26, Aug 25, 2013.

1. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I proposed a trade exactly as you said. Megatron for Thompkins and MJD. I doubt this will happen but he may come back at me with another proposal.

Any other thoughts on the QB situation?

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who is available in your FA pool? Not just at the QB position, but what's the top 5 - 10 guys?

3. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm also in a "Survival Football" league.

$20 buy-in. Basically, every week of the season, you pick the winner of one game. If you're right, you advance, if you're wrong, you're out.

Once you pick a team, you can't pick that team again. Lots of people in the league are blowing their wads on the Pats vs Buffalo this weekend. I went with Tampa Bay over the NYJets because the Jets suck, have Geno Smith starting, and they suck (that's worth 2 mentions).

My theory on this is: I'm going to look at the schedules of the worst teams in the NFL: Oakland. NYJets. Buffalo. Jacksonville. Cleveland. I'm going to basically go with whoever is playing one of those teams that isn't a "powerhouse", i.e. Seattle, SF, GB, Patriots for the first half of the season. The second half, when nobody wants to go "winless", I'm going to ride the top teams.

Have any of you ever done one of these leagues?

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, this is actually the first year I haven't done survivor football in a while.

You'll find everyone does that - they pick the most obvious team that week, or in a few cases, they'll pick the second or third most obvious team like that makes them a genius. Last year, I can't remember which game it was but it bit everyone in the ass when there was an upset early in the season and it cut the league in half.

A basic glance at a schedule will typically let you plan out some picks. Though I will say, for the first couple games of the season it can be good to pick a little safer since the roster changes can end up creating some unexpectedly good teams, and right now there's nothing to go on. But you definitely don't want to be picking Super Bowl contenders in the first few weeks - just make sure you don't get too clever until you've at least seen all the teams play their starting lineups for a full 60 minutes.

5. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Go to <a class="postlink" href="http://www.vegaswatch.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vegaswatch.org/</a>

He used to post on the TMMB. I don't even know anything about survivor pools, but he breaks down his logic in a way that makes a lot of sense.

6. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have, and that's a good strategy. But don't get too excited about a mediocre team playing a bad team that's playing at home. Every crappy team runs into a win here and there, so don't be afraid to pick a better team to make sure that you advance. Picking the Tampa Bay's and Carolina's and Tennessee's and Detroit's will only carry you so far, before they drop a game they should've won.

Does this go all through the playoffs too? Mine does, making it much much more difficult. If so, set aside four or six contenders and once you're into the playoffs you'll have to pick strategically to end up with a remaining team in the Super Bowl.

7. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No one really worth taking.
    Top FA's are:

Willis McGahee
    Zac Stacy
    Ed Dickson
    Mike Goodson
    Alfonso Smith
    Stepfan Taylor
    Jarius Wright
    Zach Miller
    Jake Locker
    Zach Ertz
    Christian Ponder
    Justin Hunter

8. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First week in and I get to play against a guy that has Peyton Manning, AJ Green and Reggie Bush... I've seen prison rapes that were less brutal than what I've gone through since Thursday.

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Played Reggie in the flex and that carried my team, hell of a game, can't imagine starting all three of those guys. What was the point total?

10. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

160 just from those 3 alone. Granted, the league I'm in has a lot of bonus points tied to QB play and Manning hit every GD bonus we have...

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need to hedge on Lamar Miller. Got me a goose egg, and now it looks like he's going to be splitting carries.

My team looks like this:

QB Matt Ryan, Atl
    RB Arian Foster, Hou
    RB Lamar Miller, Mia
    WR Calvin Johnson, Det
    WR A.J. Green, Cin
    TE Jimmy Graham, NO
    FLEX Danny Amendola, NE
    D/ST Texans D/ST D/ST
    K Matt Bryant, Atl
    Bench Ryan Mathews, SD
    Bench Jordy Nelson, GB
    Bench Matt Schaub, Hou
    Bench Rams D/ST D/ST
    Bench Martellus Bennett, Chi (Pending waver wire swap for Thomas from Denver)
    Bench Isaac Redman, Pit
    Bench Sebastian Janikowski, Oak

We'll see how Ryan Mathews shows tonight, but Redman put up -2 this week as well. The top several FA backs are:

Shonn Greene
    Mike Leshoure
    Danny Woodhead
    Andrew Brown
    Joique Bell
    Pierre Thomas
    Felix Jones
    Knowshon Moreno
    Bryce Brown
    Jacquizz Rodgers

Thinking about picking up Bell and dropping Redman - any thoughts on trade value for my bench?

12. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Going into last night's game I was tied in one of my leagues, and my opponent had David Wilson going. I don't feel good about this win at all, but I'll take it.

13. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone think Jarred Cook can keep this up? I've got him and Jimmy Graham so one's gotta go. Got an offer of Colston, Nicks, and Vick Ballard for Welker and Cook.

14. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I might be the only guy on the planet that had Peyton Manning as my starter and LOST.

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: General Fantasy Football Advice Thread

That takes skill there, the 3 guys I know who started him blew everyone away

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

PPR league with 3 IDP

Trade:
    Megatron
    McFadden
    JJ Watt

Get:
    Andre Johnson
    Trent Richardson
    Shane Vereen

Yes, Vereen broke his wrist and will be out two weeks, but I have zilch for RBs. (McFadden, BJ-GE and none on my bench).

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is on waivers for tomorrow morning; Steelers just announced that Redman is still their starter, just having trouble feeling good about him. Still, I'm essentially trading a starter for a second string... meh. Decisions.

Vereen was just put on short-term IR; 8 weeks minimum. Don't go through with it.

18. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, he called me and told me. He canceled the trade request.

I offered him Megatron, BenJarvis Green-Ellis, Kenny Britt and JJ Watt for Andre Johnson and Trent Richardson. I'm not using Britt, and IDP are a dime a dozen right now, so it's basically Megatron and LawFirm for Andre and Trent. I think I come out ahead on that trade.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I talked someone in my league into handing over Stevan Ridley in a swap for Ryan Mathews. The SD o-line is awful, and Ridley should be the primary ball carrier now that Vereen is out for several weeks.

In less fortunate news, Arian Foster is going to be splitting carries with Ben Tate, and Lamar Miller is still a giant question mark. I may sit Miller this week, start Jordy Nelson in my flex spot, and see if Miller improves.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If someone offered me Ryan Mathews for Stevan Ridley, I'd accept, but only if I got to slap them in the face with my dick every time I saw them.