Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

General Fantasy Football Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by D26, Aug 25, 2013.

1. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The other thread seems to be focused entirely on the TiB league, so I thought I'd post a thread for general fantasy advice on drafts, trades, and lineup questions.

I've had two drafts, and I feel good about one and very mediocre about the other. I had the last pick in both drafts.

Ten team league, 6-point passing TDs, no PPR, no TE position (TEs are considered WRs):

QB: RGIII
    RB1: CJ Spiller
    RB2: LeSean McCoy
    WR1: Victor Cruz
    WR2: Randall Cobb
    WR3: Pierre Garcon
    Flex: David Wilson
    K: Justin Tucker
    Def: Houston

BN: Luck
    BN: TY Hilton
    BN: Gronkowski
    BN: Jonathan Stewart
    BN: Fred Jackson
    BN: Bryce Brown

I feel really good about that draft. Great all around, with good depth. Little worried about Spiller and McCoy staying healthy, but I have both their handcuffs.

The other league won't go nearly as well. 12 team, .5 PPR, 6 point passing TD (again, 12th pick):

QB: RGIII
    RB1: Stevan Ridley
    RB2: Eddie Lacy
    WR1: Calvin Johnson
    WR2: Hakeem Nicks
    WR3: Alshon Jeffrey
    TE: Jimmy Graham
    K: Matt Bryant
    Def: Arizona
    BN: Tony Romo
    BN: Rashard Mendenhall
    BN: Kenny Britt
    BN: Danny Woodhead
    BN: Isaac Redman

I feel much worse about this. Jimmy Graham fell to me in the 3/4th round, but Megatron and Ridley were my first two, and by the time it got back, there were NO RBs left on the board anyplace, so I ended up reaching for Lacy. As I suspected, RGIII fell a lot, so I was able to grab him and a solid backup (Romo) again. Romo fell even further, and I got him in the 10th round. I feel shitty about both WR (after Megatron) and RB, and I think I may be dead money in this league. Just had every bad break possible in that draft, but maybe I can make some waiver moves and grab up a solid RB, or Lacy will have a good season.

2. litwin

litwin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've done 3 drafts so far. One is my serious dynasty league and the other two are just for fun leagues.

Our dynasty league has 5 (3 to many) keepers in a 12 man league. This means that we start drafting in the 6th round. I was able to pick up Bowe with my 1st round pick which was really nice to give me some WR depth. This is the second year of the league so it's still fairly new.

I was able to handcuff MJD with forsett and picked up Reece to play when McFadden gets hurt.

QB: Russel Wilson (keeper)
    RB1: Trent Richardson (keeper)
    WR1: Larry Fitzgerald (keeper)
    WR2: Dwayne Bowe
    FLEX: MJD (keeper)
    TE: Owen Daniels (keeper)
    K: Josh Brown
    Def: Rams

BN: Carson Palmer
    BN: Shane Vereen
    BN: Marcel Reece
    BN: Justin Forsett
    BN: Ryan Broyles
    BN: Malcom Floyd
    BN: Stevie Johnson
    BN: Martellus Bennett

The second league I joined with a group of friends who needed another person to fill a spot. A few people in the league are playing for the first time, so the draft was rather interesting. Calvin Johnson going 1 overall because the guy logged in late and didn't think he would be slotted the overall pick. I had the #3 pick and took Martin with the first pick.

QB: Stafford
    RB1: Doug Martin
    RB2: Matt Forte
    WR1: Brandon Marshall
    WR2: Andre Johnson
    WR3: Stevie Johnson
    TE: Jordan Cameron
    K: Justin Tucker
    Def: Rams

BN: Golden Tate
    BN: Chris Johnson
    BN: Mike Williams
    BN: Daryl Richardson
    BN: Montee Ball

The last league I joined just because. I ended up drafting 3 RBs with my first 3 picks, so I hope I don't struggle to bad with WR.

QB: Kaepernick
    RB1: Arian Foster
    RB1: Ridley
    WR1: Mike Wallace
    WR2: Cecil Shorts
    FLEX: Torrey Smith
    TE: Greg Olsen
    K: Garrett Hartlet
    Def: Cardinals

BN: MJD
    BN: Flacco
    BN: Ben Tate
    BN: Rueben Randle
    BN: Kendall Wright
    BN: Pierre Thomas
    BN: Marcel Reece

3. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For some receiver depth, if you make a slot on your bench you can pick up Justin Blackmon for later. He has a four game suspension but was looking like serious money to end last season. He was undrafted in my league due to the suspension.

4. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Well done on the first team.

The second might turn out to be alright. Hilton and/or Britt could turn out to be excellent WR3s. Lacy is slated for a big workload, and Ridley should score enough touchdowns. Having Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham will hopefully offset your RB depth issues.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Standard league, snake draft 10 guys and I had the 3rd pick

QB: Tony Romo
    WR: Andre Johnson
    WR: Dwayne Bowe
    RB: Marshawn Lynch
    RB: Maurice Jones-Drew
    TE: Jimmy Graham
    Flex: DeSean Jackson
    K: Phil Dawson
    Defense: Arizona
    BN: Shonn Green
    BN: Jay Cutler
    BN: Tyler Eifert
    BN: Mike Williams
    BN: Miles Austin
    BN: Lamar Miller
    BN: Shane Vereen

I was actually able to steal Graham in the 3rd round as nobody decided to go near any TE's early. Went RB-RB with my first 2 picks, but then kind of struggled with a middle of the road group of WR's. Eifert was my last pick reach, so we'll see if he pans out and maybe turns into a decent trade-able pick down the line, or at least a decent fill in for Graham's bye week. Overall, I still think I could've done better, and already in week 1 I'm contemplating moving Miller to my Flex in place of Jackson.

6. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

10 person league, snake .5 ppr. I like the team I drafted but I'm worried about RB. My first two picks are injury risks (first three RB's) and I should probably trade a WR for another back.

Jamaal Charles
    Matt Forte
    Brandon Marshall
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Dwayne Bowe
    Darren McFadden
    Tony Romo
    Hakeem Nicks
    Stevie Johnson
    Mark Ingram
    Kenny Britt
    Jermane Gresham
    Andy Dalton
    Martellus Bennett
    Arizona
    Matt Prater

7. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Charles and Forte should both have great seasons, especially in PPR leagues, given their new head coaches and new systems. Charles won't have a dumb-ass coach giving half the team's touches to Thomas Jones or some other completely not-on-JC's-level back, while Forte remains Chicago's top weapon (and I include Marshall in that statement, who will still have a good season, but that is Forte's team). McFadden is a fucking joke, though. I pity anyone that has him, even as a backup. Made of glass and he was useless as a runner last year.

Your WRs aren't bad, either, except I am not high on Fitzgerald. Bowe should have a good year, and I know Fitty has a better QB, but Palmer is a statue with no line to protect him, so if he isn't crippled by week 4 (and crippled with him will be Fitty's production), I'll be shocked. Nicks should be solid. Stevie Johnson is normally reliable, but who will be throwing it in Buffalo? Johnson is facing the same QB issue that Fitty had last year, and Johnson isn't nearly on the same level as Fitzgerald.

I think you're good at RB, but maybe a WR3 short of being a solid team top to bottom. It'll be hard, but I just don't think Fitzgerald will be starting for you by week 8. I'd also worry you've got too many Bears. I, personally, hate doubling up on skill guys from the same team too much (except the QB/WR or QB/RB combo), because there are only so many TDs to go around in a given offense. I know most weeks you'll be starting Gresham, but if Bennett has any kind of a good week or two, I'd immediately try to trade him for a backup RB to replace McFaddden or solid WR3 (McFadden plus Bennett should net something).

8. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12 man non-PPR league.
    I think I drafted the fuck out of this league, but I did get a lot of "let's hope these people are last years doug martin/alfred morris".

QB Drew Brees
    RB Stevan Ridley
    RB Eddie Lacy
    WR Kenbrell Thompkins
    WR Anquan Boldin
    TE Antonio Gates
    W/R/T Lamar Miller
    K SeaBass
    D Seattle
    B Steve Smith (CAR)
    B Montee Ball
    B Justin Blackmon
    B Fred Jackson
    B Josh Freeman

Thinking of dumping Freeman for another WR and just rolling someone in when Brees has his bye. Available players: Heyward-Bay, Moore, Hartline, Malcolm Floyd, Mohamed Sanu, Burleson, Washington, Moss, Holmes.

9. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agree on having too many Bears players, it just fell that way. Bennett was still there at the end so I figured screw it. I also agree on McFadden, no one wanted him but in the sixth round I thought there might be some upside. Overall for drafting in the eight position I feel pretty good. There are a few young receivers available on the wire so if I can get a decent back up RB out of DMC and Bennett I would feel better.

I hate that Fitz has so many issues at QB because the dude has loads of talent, obviously I hope Palmer survives long enough to get him his touches.

Thanks for the thoughts.

10. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

10 man league .5ppr, drafted first, flex can be rb, wr, or te.

qb - Matthew Stafford - 6
    rb - Adrian Peterson - 1
    rb - Matt Forte - 3
    wr - Dez Bryant - 2
    wr - Reggie Wayne - 5
    te - Greg Olsen - 9
    flx - Reggie Bush - 4
    def - Tampa Bay - 15
    k - David Akers - 16

Rob Gronkowski - 7
    DeSean Jackson - 8
    T.Y. Hilton - 10
    Isaac Redman - 11
    Alshon Jeffery - 12
    Carson Palmer - 13
    Joquie Bell - 14

We only had 60 seconds to pick, so Carson Palmer was a stupid pick, he has the same bye week as Stafford. However, my match up that week doesn't look strong, considering my opponents bye's. I figure I can just trade Palmer out along the way, or get rid of him entirely and grab a flyer off the waivers.

My real questions are:

1) Should I trade Alshon Jeffery for Michael Bush, Forte's handcuff? Considering my strong core of WR's I think that may be smart, plus T.Y. Hilton looks to be a better WR than Jeffery anyways.

2) Should I even bother stashing Toby Gerhart on my bench in case AP goes down? The general consensus online is that the Vikings offense will tank so bad without AP, that Gerhart won't really be making many points. In that scenario I would be able to move Bush to RB, and throw DeSean Jackson into the flex, or Greg Olson (te) who is Cam's 2nd favorite target.

11. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12 team PPR autopick (yes, autopicks suck...):

RG3
    Megatron
    Julio Jones
    Amendola
    McFadden
    B-J G-E
    Brandon Meyers
    W/T Kenny Britt
    W/R Kenbrell Thompkins
    W/R/T LaFell
    Vinatieri
    Seattle

Bench: Cutler, Sanu, Kerley, Heath Miller, Q Patton, Blackmon

I feel good about my WR situation obviously, but my RBs suck. Trying to work a trade for Eddie Lacy.

Next league:
    10 team non-PPR autopick with 3 IDP. I tried a new theory for the rankings: I eliminated all kickers and all defenses and all NYJets.
    Kaepernick
    Amendola
    Britt
    Thompkins
    Trent Richardson
    MJD
    Jared Cook
    W/R Eddie Lacy
    W/R Cecil Shorts
    W/R/T Mike Williams

Def (from waivers) Tampa Bay (for this week against Geno Smith and the Jets...)
    K (from waivers) Hauschka

IDP: Aldon Smith, Luke Kuechly, Chandler Jones

Bench: RGIII, Alex Smith, Chris Givens, Rueben Randal, Woodhead, Pettigrew.

RB is solid, QB is solid, bench should have good trade value to get better WRs.

12. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in a 14 team league with really weird position requirements. I have 3 flex positions and need to have 2 defenses.

QB Peyton Manning
    WR DeSean Jackson
    WR Mike Wallace
    RB Doug Martin
    RB Stevan Ridley
    TE Rob Gronkowski
    W/T Sidney Rice WR
    W/R Kenbrell Thompkins WR
    W/R/T Julius Thomas TE
    K Blair Walsh
    DEF1 - Houston
    DEF2 - Jacksonville

Bench:
    Tyler Eifert Cin - TE
    Christine Michael Sea - RB
    Matt Schaub Hou - QB
    Isaiah Pead StL - RB
    Justin Blackmon Jax - WR
    Brent Celek Phi - TE

For some dumbass reason, we have to run 2 D's. I'm not particularly happy with my receivers, but I feel like I got pretty top flight talent pretty much everywhere else. I definitely don't like the fact that I have 3 Patriots in my offense. I'm sort of hoping I can swing Ridley for a WR + RB.

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

QB Matt Ryan, Atl
    RB Arian Foster, Hou
    RB Lamar Miller, Mia
    WR Calvin Johnson, Det
    WR A.J. Green, Cin
    TE Jimmy Graham, NO
    FLEX Danny Amendola, NE
    D/ST Texans D/ST D/ST
    K Matt Bryant, Atl
    Bench Ryan Mathews, SD
    Bench Jordy Nelson, GB
    Bench Matt Schaub, Hou
    Bench Rams D/ST D/ST
    Bench Martellus Bennett, Chi
    Bench Isaac Redman, Pit
    Bench Sebastian Janikowski, Oak

I was #4 out of 9 in a snake draft. Fairly happy with the team - hoping Danny holds up, of course, and Miller is a bit of a question mark. Thoughts?

14. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Flex slot, non-PPR, Vereen or Colston? My gut says Vereen since the Pats average 40 points a game against the Bills, mostly on the ground, but I fear I might be getting too cute.

15. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in a league where the dudes are far more serious than I am. A law school friend and I are the newcomers to a league that's been around for about 8 years. 14 teams, standard snake draft. I had the 6th pick. I'm worried as hell about my running game. Unfortunately, I was stupid in drafting 3 receivers in my top 5 picks. I also was drafting on my phone and didn't know that Andre Brown broke his leg so that really fucked me. However, I had been drunk for two days straight in Austin so doing no last minute research was worth it. Because of the size of our league there are no running backs worth picking up. I'm probably going to trade Boldin for a decent running back. Any suggestions?

QB: RG3
    WR: Calvin Johnson
    WR: Torrey Smith
    WR: Anquan Boldin
    RB: Demarco Murray
    RB: Lamichael James
    TE: Brandon Pettigrew
    W/T: Rueben Randle
    W/R: Jacoby Jones
    DEF: Green Bay
    K: Matt Prater

BN: Denarius Moore-WR
    BN: Rob Housler-TE
    BN: Andre Brown - RB
    BN: Kenny Stills - WR
    BN: Matt Schaub - QB
    BN: Santonio Holmes - WR

16. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like Vereen there. Even though Ridley will get more carries than Vereen, I still think that Vereen will outscore Colston.

17. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like Colston. It'll be a shootout for sure, and who's going to carry the receiving load for the Saints? Graham and Colston.

18. Ton80

Ton80
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm in six leagues this year, and I won't post six rosters because most people don't care and I can jerk off to them on my own time. But the sixth league was a last-minute add, free entry fee to a new website that just launched, Dumpsterfire.com. I should add that I was drinking heavily throughout this draft.

Being that this is league #6, I decided I was going to go completely opposite of all the smart and safe drafting strategies I've been honing all summer. Fuck RBs, I'm going nutso here.

This is a 12 team PPR, start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 flex, K, DTST. I had the fourth overall, and this is what I came away with:

Calvin Johnson
    Jimmy Graham
    MJD
    Peyton Manning
    Darren McFadden (This is why you don't wait till the fifth to draft your second RB)
    Tavon Austin
    T.Y. Hilton
    Ryan Broyles
    Danny Woodhead
    Knowshon Moreno
    Vick Ballard
    Zach Sudfeld
    Tampa Defense
    Shonn Greene
    Kenny Stills
    David Akers

Don't drink and draft kids...the team you save could be your own.

In all seriousness, this team is all potential, yet unlikely upside. If EVERYTHING breaks my way, I'll kill this league, but if not, I'm going 3 - 13.

Happy First Day of Football!

19. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I were you, I'd try and trade Calvin Johnson for a top flight RB. You are going to get crushed every week in the RB department and with your other receivers, you at least will be average in that department. I'd even go as far as saying you should trade RG3 for another top RB and roll with Schaub as your QB.

20. T W

T W
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

To add, if a team has a guy like Hopkins (or Thompkins) + David Wilson (or MJD), that's what I'd shoot for with Calvin. The bench is weak and a 2 for 1 is necessary. I also agree on RGIII, shoot for another RB2 + WR3 with upside. Look for teams with weak QB's (whatever team is starting Dalton, maybe) and if he has RB depth shoot for something like Lamar Miller or Reggie Bush + Josh gordon or Kenny Britt. The need is upside guys and serious help at RB, so it's time to start chumming the waters.

...And you're going to want to match play that defense. You have your work cut out in this one.