Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Aetius, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It is. She tells Ned about it in the godswood, but she mentions that she purposefully aborted it. I hope it's not going to be used to bury Gendry though, he's a good character.

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Syrio is all I could have hoped for. That should be fun to watch. Ned seems to have a bit of PTSD.

Seeing Danny put Viserys in his place incidentally was as satisfying as I hoped it would be.

Dinklage better get a fucking Emmy for this show.

EW recap:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-episode-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-episode-3/</a>

3. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love how the author ends his piece with a belabored plea for fans to avoid spoiling anything, after spoiling
    the real reason Jaime killed King Aerys. Great job, fuckass - you only skipped three and a half books ahead. What a dumbass.

For the tenderhearted and unawares: If you've read Storm of Swords in its entirety, the EW article and my spoiler text are safe for your reading pleasure. Otherwise, stay away from that shit.

4. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, I had totally forgotten that until you mentioned it. Yeah, I recall now. Thanks!

So I wonder if they put the scene in the show so early to create a heightened shock effect when Cersei tells Ned in the Godswood later or if they're going to go in another dirction with it entirely.

I loved Syrio in the latest episode. I think I pictured him older and thinner, but whatever, the guy pulled it off. I liked how he seemed to genuinely actually *like* Arya and they had good mentor chemistry very quickly. Overall, a quality show, except I have discovered that dialogue that works in a book is just jarring when taken directly to TV. Scenes I recognize as being straight transcription from the series come out sounding really stilted or oddly paced in the show.

5. StayFrosty

StayFrosty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, part of that is Martin's use of elements of Old English, and I think the rest is simply because Martin makes some of the dialogue really, really fucking long. In a book, you can add in "X paused, and glanced toward the door" or elements of inner monologue during a conversation. On screen, it can be hard to translate that to them moving around during an exhaustively long conversation, rather than just standing there trading dialogue like talking rocks.

Or maybe my voice is echoing from deep inside my ass. I don't know.

6. Gravitas

Gravitas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I just finished the first book this morning and I am wondering if I should start watching the show now or wait until I finish the others.

If you were me what would you do?

7. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would read the others and go back to watch the series. I've been rereading the first book while watching GoT, and I think it kind of lessens the impact of the show to watch scenes that I've just played in my head hours before. Read, gush, then watch the show and gush again while you wait for the fifth book.

8. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Martin posted a release date for A Dance With Dragons on his site not long ago, but he said he wasn't finished.

Apparently, he has finished the thing. Finally.

9. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Can someone help me with this? I swear, in the first episode, Ned said to his wife that she was the mother of 'five northern children,' and when they found the wolf pups there were five - one for each child of the house - as well as a runt that went to Jon Snow. Yet the plot synopsis lists only four children. Are there four or five kids in that house? Not counting Jon.

10. Nax

Nax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

11. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And just because it's easy to miss, Rickon is the youngest and you see him in episode 1 for all of 5 total seconds. Once when the kids are practicing archery and once when the family lines up to greet the King. I don't recall if he has any lines. So, there are 5, but I find it an easy mistake for a synopsis writer to make since Rickon is so irrelevant.

12. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is anybody who is watching this show not read the books? I would like to hear what you think about it. I'm enjoying it, but being a fan of the books I feel like I'm filling in a lot of the subtleties from them.

I really think they did a fantastic job with the casting. At first I was thrown off by some because some of the characters didn't match the image in my head, but it's really starting to come together. I loved the scene where Catelyn captures Tyrion. It had such a foreboding feeling to it.

13. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had never heard of the books, the only reason I started watching is that I'm a huge Bond nerd and consider Sean Bean's 006 the best Bond villain. Thankfully it's OnDemand, so I can watch each episode multiple times, which I've had to do to piece together some of the back-stories, such as Bean's people being the ones who exiled the Elf look-a-likes to the land of the future Conan's people, I"m terrible at remembering the names of the races.

Aside from that, it's been quite easy to figure out what's going on and thus far I've liked each episode more than the last. I would however hope that the action will ramp up quite soon, and what the hell is up with everyone in the land only hittin it from the back? Is that something explained in the book or did the execs at HBO just demand all sex scenes be doggy?

14. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's pretty much like that in the books, and it's never explained. I always got the impression it was symbolic of the male dominated society. I also think George R.R. Martin has some issues with women. For the most part they are not portrayed in a positive light in this series.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also got the impression it was just a further example of how the vast majority of marriages weren't intimate in nature, and more for the "game of thrones" than personal love and desire.

You'll notice that Ned and his wife DO have sex missionary.

16. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't exactly recall all the sex positions in the books, but I believe doggy style is considered a bit of a weird Dothraki sex act and the Jaime/Cersei sex that Brandon witnesses is actually missionary with Cersei seeing Bran over Jaime's shoulder or something similar.

I assume going doggy style in the show is for some sort of production reason as opposed to a story based reason.

17. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If you haven't read the books don't read
    Is the boy Stark found in the armory the King's real son that the queen said she "lost"?

18. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you talking about Gendry (with the helm)? If so, no, Gendry is a bastard son of the King and some other chick, not the queen's son.

19. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't currently have HBO but I was on the road for work and saw the first episode in my hotel room. I ordered the books on the spot (set of first four). I'm into the third now and I can't wait to go back and watch the HBO series. I'll wait till its on DVD but the books are pretty good so far. It will be interesting to see how my view of the characters will differ from the way the actors play them. Then again seeing the first episode probably helped me visualize them. Count me as a fan.

20. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never read the books (actually never heard of them before seeing the first episode, somehow) and I am absolutely loving the series. I am enjoying the mystery of not knowing what's going to come next. That last scene in this last episode of Lady Stark 'arresting' Tyrion was great, I absolutely did not see that coming.

And the casting is great, I really like Tyrion Lanister and John Snow, as well as many others. On the other hand, I already hate the queen and her shitt little son, as well as the targarian guy (can't remember his first name). Sorry if I butchered any of the characters names.