Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game Of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    If you really want to know, ask the cast:

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It'll be interesting, no doubt.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think part of the problem is that D&D aren't taking enough time to check their scripts for feedback. Both got their starts as writers and for years have heard everyone rave about how great the show is. They've even gone off the books with some success. Sure, the earlier seasons had problems, like the Dorne plot, but for the most part they've been lauded with praise, having near total creative control the whole while.

They have no idea how mediocre they actually are when it comes to the story telling. They want to move onto other projects, but it seems like both legitimately thought this script was a worthy send off for the series.

Then again, a lot of fans really do think this show is as good as ever. I don't fucking get it, but I suppose by that metric it hasn't been a total failure.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Or they’re rushing it to make the post-Ep 9 Star Wars movie.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are they actually doing Ep 9? if so ffs.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

No, the movies after this current trilogy.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even worse, so we get 3 shitty movies instead of one.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the people who really enjoy the season so far are people who might not have read the books or prefer a show where the writing is slightly simplified for a more average audience. For people who love nuance and complexity, subtlety and a good slow burn that eventually comes to a head, they probably hate the current writing.

I’m not a GRRM purist so I don’t give a shit about how the current writing is basically a lesser form than what the books provided. Very few authors can write a story the way Martin did.

Ken Follett can write a fucking novel.

Some of my friends are really angry at how the show is going this season. I see it a little differently. I see it like all the bickering and fighting over power and respect for the past 8 seasons is all meaningless when you have a firebreathing sky beast that can instantly destroy everything you love. Everything you ever cared about is meaningless. And all the power Cersei so strategically fought for was brought down instantly because all these people overestimated their meaning in the world.

But maybe I’m missing the point.

And quite frankly, they should be lucky she’s down 2 dragons. But it’s arguable she might not have had the cookout if Euron didn’t kill the second one.

#168 xrayvision, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She might not have had the cookout if she had gotten laid. I mean Jon has found out she's his aunt, but at least she's a hot aunt. Should have taken one for the team Jon.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Username checks out.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a big reason why I'm frustrated with the last two seasons, but it's the really glaring shit too. Like these scenes from Arya last episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEA4enNBSA

Everyone around her is either buried in rubble or scorched beyond recognition. She's fine. A few scars. Was the idea seriously supposed to be that this dragon fire that burns so hot it twists and melts steel, and hits with such force it obliterates stone, and kills every other soul near it that Arya is ok because she dove around a corner? The answer appears to be a resounding yes. That's some strong plot armor. Why didn't anyone else around a corner, or in front of, or behind her survive? Ahhh, no plot armor. Those poor extras.

You could pick so many things from any episode lately. Take the scorpions. They are exactly as effective as the current plot demands. Under no other lens do they make any sense. Why is Dany's battle plan to focus her dragon attacks on the only spot Drogon is vulnerable? They couldn't come up with anything else? Maybe she opens the battle with a diversion, and sends some of her best troops behind enemy lines to take them out. Give me something. How about Cersei and Euron, who against all odds have been so efficient the last 20 episodes? What about this ferocious golden company we've heard so much about? What was their battle plan? The battle plan doesn't have to work, but they didn't even come up with one. To die. That was their battle plan. Plot said so. Storm trooper effect aim on the scorpions, (the bulk of which they put in the fucking ocean and in no way at all defended the city, but Dany STILL attacks them head on) and everyone else just swing your sword a couple times, and then give up so Dany can kill you, and the audience will know that Dany is bad now.

It's shit. It's fucking shit. FUCK EVERYONE. ARRRGGGGHHH!

In some ways it still is a great show. The score was perfect. The cinematography was masterful. The Clegane fight was entertaining. However, the show is now asking you to be the kind of fan who can shrug scene after scene and just say "Whatever. It's a fantasy show. Not everything has to make sense." Which is a totally understandable way to enjoy a show, but man do I miss the old Game of Thrones, back when suspending your disbelief wasn't an ongoing chore.

12. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I walked into that one.

13. Smatek1001

Smatek1001
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If we've learned anything here, it's that you don't need good writing when you have cgi and tits.

14. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

arya's plot armor wasn't nearly as bad as the plot armor for everyone in the knight king battle. I could kind of maybe look the other way for arya's plot armor but all of ep3 made me mad.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They rushed the story and they robbed a lot of characters of their significance by cutting corners. Varys is a good example. In the show, what was the purpose of his character without Fake Aegon? For the uninitiated, he was the alleged actual son of Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark. Varys was protecting him in secret to take the Iron Throne. Without that, his character was meaningless.

At this point I fully expect Jon to just go be a lumberjack in Alaska.

16. Smatek1001

Smatek1001
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

We find out in 4 days.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Someone needs to make a montage of all the cliffhanger fake deaths in that episode and the resulting scenes next time we see the character. I swear it happens at least ten times where the camera cuts away with a pile of zombies on top of a character and next time we see them there's only one, or they're already doing somenthing else.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Or someone just stabs on of the zombies they cut scene and the person burried is being pulled up and perfectly fine.

19. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

One of my friends posted this. I like it.

Attached Files:

20. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That sums it up perfectly