Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game Of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watched the last episode tonight, and glad to say that the pirated versions didn't have any darkness issues.

It was an entertaining episode, but I will admit that I was disappointed at the end where everything seemed to be coming to an end and all the "good guys" were going to lose, that they made it just in the nick of time. I really wish that some serious players would have been wiped out so we'd have a bit of a Ned attends the Red Wedding With Some Friends kind of event.

All in all I found that the writing was pretty leading... too much "you'll be safe in the crypts" and "his purpose in life has been completed"... I really wish there were some true surprises.

Or that Bran finally Wilded with a dragon... that would have been awesome.

But still, entertaining, and I'd give it a solid 8/10.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think they are luring the audience in to a false sense of security with a lot of the major players living to see next week’s episode. I think there will be some heartbreaking losses with a probable tiny door left open for a spin-off.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The fact that it was done during the day makes the horror aspect that much more effective and why that sequence was so good. This episode basically turned Winterfell into in living nightmare, which was also really well done. But theres something about horror scenes in daylight that make them scarier. Thats why that one scene from Mulholland Drive is one of the scariest ever, and its not even a horror film.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It is SO effective. The brighter and more Norman Rockwell-ish the setting is, the easier it is to scare someone. People expect things to jump out in darkness, and feel a sense of security during the day.

That’s why “Midsommer” looks so amazing to me. It already the most talked about horror film of the year: A horror movie taking place entirely in the daylight.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I rewatched the Harhome battle last night and it probably is the best battle in the show. I think part of it was it was really the first time we saw the WW and army of the dead out in full force. The kind of sea of humanity in a crush fleeing for their lives while Jon and crew barely fought them back to escape. All followed by the Night King showing that everyone he just killed become fresh soldiers for him. It was breathlessly done.

I actually went through my TV settings and found a power save mode I didn't even realize had always been on was tampering the brightness entirely. It's now Costco display bright. I watched the third episode again and boy it was much different how much more you could see, thus get what the producers were going for. Still some big missed opportunities but overall like Nett said still a solid episode.

On second viewing I was like, ow shit are Sansa and Tyrion about to get together by series end? They set it up pretty big.

6. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think we're going to see his allegiance shift, given the Dany's demeanor towards him and Jon's true parentage coming to light. Perhaps Winterfell will become the new capitol of Westeros once Cersei is gone?

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thats a cool idea, or even just have it turn into a bi-polar continent with Winterfell and KL as the two competing powers. I would love another 3 seasons or so to see how something like that played out.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could see Dany being the last big character with a shocking death. Leaving Jon or Sansa (if Jon abdicated) to rule. I could also see Dany and Sansa ruling in a split kingdom. It surely feels like rest of the story will be a whimper compared to the battle with the dead.

9. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jon abdicating is a very real possibility.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Now that the Knight King is dead, does that eliminate the threat from the North once and for all?

If not, I can see Jon abdicating and heading back and rebuilding the Wall.. Dany taking the Iron Throne (after they kill off Cersei), and Tyrion and Sansa hooking back up and ruling Winterfell. Sansa is much more mature and no longer lured by the mysteries of the far off court, so takes full responsibility for leading her people in Winterfell and rebuilding her family. I can see Tyrion saying "enough of the bullshit, I'm staying here with Sansa... if you need me, send a bird, or a dragon."

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

If the show ended with Jon and Tormund having a suck fest in the middle of Kings Landing I still don’t think it would be a gayer ending than Jon abdicating and reaffirming his oath to the Nights Watch.

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Were there any other real threats from the north other than the dead/white walkers?

If killing a white walker destroys their followers, and the OG white walker got killed, that means there are no other walkers/dead. I don't think the series has actually hinted at any other threats from the north.

13. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

If that’s true, why does the Night’s Watch even need to exist?

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The wildlings were a threat but the wall was specifically built with magic to fend off the dead. It would seem with the night king out of the way the north is good to go. I was disappointed the white walkers didn’t get to flex any muscle at the battle. What a waste to have them all shattered like glass after 5 seconds of action with the night king.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It doesn’t. Jon actually stated in the first episode “With no wall they may as well come to fight in Winterfell.”

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The wildlings were just a "don't venture into the back country alone" threat, though, not an existential one. There's no reason for the wall or the night's watch without the white walkers.

Also: did anyone else get supremely irritated at the stupid, "the dead rose in the crypt" plot point? You are facing someone who is known to raise the dead. But nobody in the whole city thought, "gosh, maybe we shouldn't put unarmed women and children in a crypt full of dead people and no way out"? It's one of the few plot points in this show that has seemed so incredibly obvious and contrived that it really should have been cut or at least changed.

Tyrion thinks his way out of everything, but never considered that a few armed guards might be a useful addition there?

Night King: raises dead people everywhere
    Tyrion: We should all hide in the locked crypt!
    Night King: raises dead people in the crypt
    Tyrion: (shocked face)

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I was half hoping for Ned Starks headless skeleton to start terrorizing everyone. I guess I didnt realize that the NK could just raise any dead, I thought it was only dead that was killed by other white walkers.

Speaking of zombies, one of the biggest bummers of the show is we never got to see Lady Stoneheart.

18. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is my first time ever being up to date with this show. I want to know how they are going to deal with the south when basically everyone is dead except a hand full of people.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

They still have two winged atom bombs. One of them roasted half the Lannister army alive in minutes. Dani also has a good chunk of Essos (the other continent) to send for reinforcements as well as the Iron Islands and the Vale. Hell....Arya is capable of killing everyone in the Red Keep if she went cloak & dagger on the place.

Makes we wonder what all the warriors of Dorne are up to. They have no leader, she was put in the dungeons by Cersei, the kingdom also HATES Cersei and Kings Landing. Maybe they could join it too.

#79 Crown Royal, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  20. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Episode 4.

I really did not enjoy it. Started ok, but then everyone does stupid things.

Jon....idiot. The bit with Bronn....kind of stupid. The "surprise attack".....ridiculous. Enormous vessels do not just sneak up. Front mounted ballistas shoot forward, only forward. How about a half circle outside of max distance, burn that shit from the rear? No? Ok. It goes on and on, but that's enough said.

At this point, I sort of hope the dumb ones all die.