Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Parker, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Gotcha. That's so much easier to understand when every sentence doesn't start with, "A girl says...."

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Unrelated, I feel like part of this show is an allegory for climate change. Like we're all bickering in the West about who's in charge or what celebrity is doing what, meanwhile the real problem is brewing up north and no one who matters is listening. /deep thoughts.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was a lot of fucking awesomeness and I need a second to catch up.

- What is this about needing magic to make dragon glass? In the books it is basically the same as regular real world obsidian, except it happens to kill white walkers and can be made by dragons' fire as well as volcanoes. It's not particularly difficult to find. The problem is it's brittle and you don't get much use out of one weapon. The show didn't change the rules here did it?

- Valyrian steel can be be reforged, it just can't be created anymore. You can rework any valyrian steel, just not make more of it (like Tywin did with Ned's sword, Ice). Also, while Valyrian steel is rare, it isn't that rare. Dozens of noble houses in Westeros have a valyrian blade. This part is definitely the same as the books.

- Where are we getting that the leader of the others is the night's king? The night's king was a leader of the night's watch who boned a female white walker, lost his soul, and led a reign of terror for a dozen years or so until the Starks and wildlings joined together to overthrow him. He is not the same guy who led Westeros into the long night (the battle where children's magic/the prince that was promised saved everyone). How are we sure the guy in the show is the night's king? I also thought the leader of the others was supposed to be an actual god, the opposite of the red god and all that. It's unlikely a god is actually just going to manifest, but the show hasn't said directly who the white walker in the show is, it has only implied that is a leader of the white walkers. Also, the night's king was a man, not a white walker. Although, I suppose it is possible a man can turn into a white walker.

Other stuffs:

- When I got the first glimpse of the undead in that episode I thought 'fucking great, this is going to look like a cheap 60s horror movie' but it all came together quite nicely.

- Tyrion is the fucking man. GOTS could just adopt the rule 'needs more Tyrion', apply it to everything, and never go wrong.

- Yes, please don't drag out the Jorah story too long. Let him die his heroic death and be done with him. I wish they had kept Barristan around instead.

I think you might be right, but the evidence so far actually doesn't back that up.

Daernerys is by far a much better fit for the prince that was promised. Actually, she fits it exactly whereas with Jon you have to really try to squeeze him into it.

- Dany was born first amidst salt (by the ocean) and then again admist smoke (in the fires as the mother of dragons). Fits perfect. Jon on the other hand was kinda sorta maybe born around salt with Lyanna crying, and maybe the tower was on fire... or something.

- Dany kills her nyssa nyssa Khal Drogo herself (like Azor Ahai). Jon is loosely responsible for getting Ygritte killed and doesn't do it himself. Check for Dany.

- Dany is born beneath a bleeding star as the mother of dragons. Jon is not. Maybe you can say 'born again into the nights watch' but it doesn't fit nearly as well. Check for Dany.

- Prophecy speaks of return of dragons. This is obviously Dany. You can try again with Jon being the son of 'the dragon' Rhaegar, but again Dany fits much better. Check for Dany.

- Prince is of the blood of the dragon. Works for both, but Dany is pureborn, Jon would be half born.

Yeah, evidence clearly points to Dany thus far. Speaking of all this, now that the show has gotten ahead in so many ways, when the hell is it going to catch up with the promised prince evidence and the Lyanna/Rhaegar evidence? It's about time they delivered with this stuff, especially on the second one where virtually all of the clues in the books have not been revealed in the show.

Edit: Forgot something important.

The prince that was promised must also wake stone dragons. This is Dany all day, and not anyone else. She also tried to wake her dragons (her weapon) and only suceeded the third time (like Azor Ahai with light bringer) by killing her nyssa nyssa.

The problem with Jon being Azor Ahai is that right now he only fits in the sloppiest way possible, and Martin is way too meticulous with these things. We need a lot more to happen with him before he can actually fulfill the prophecies. Also, the prophecies in the show/books that come true end up being quite specific, which is another major problem with Jon thus far.

Dany doesn't have light bringer yet (unless it's the dragons themselves) but then again neither does anyone else and it's the only piece that is missing for her. She has plenty of time to get a sword. Stannis' sword has been confirmed not to be the actual light bringer by Aemon.

#143 Kampf Trinker, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No. Just no.

Not sure why they're not building out this dichotomy more to make it easier. Tall blue eyed, magical badasses = The Others. Small formerly human raised from the dead = Wights. Surprised Melissandre isn't getting enough screen time banging home her god of fire R'hllor who is supposed to be on the other side of the spectrum here.

Edit: Holy fuck I'm going to lose the rest of my day in this wiki...

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night's_King

His brother was King in the north, so he's a Stark. We know he's the NIght's KIng because of the glaringly obvious crown of icicles they kept focusing the camera shots on. Remember how last season he turned Craster's last son into a White Walker? Guess that's how he got turned as well, only by his WW ladyfriend.

I thought the wights fighting was well done, but it reminded me a lot of Army of Darkness. I kept wondering when Sam Raimi joined the GoT directorial team.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If that's like the regular wikipedia anyone can write that shit so it doesn't really mean anything other than that some fan called him the night's king.

A quick distinction -

The other = leader of the others/white walkers, he led the white walkers during the long night
    The night's king = crazy guy who likes to fuck dead things, did the stuff in the quote you posted

The night's king as far as I understand didn't actually create wrights or turn anyone into a white walker himself. The scene also implies that you may have to be an infant to be turned into a white walker, otherwise why wouldn't they turn more people instead of just making them wights?

For all we know at this point all the white walkers were originally men though. They haven't delved very deep into their origins yet. The confirmation of him being the night's king came of an HBO synopsis that was apparently quickly pulled so it's either a mistake or an accidental spoiler.

It might well be the night's king from Nan's stories, but I need a little more than the icicles on his head to be sure.

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a thing in season 4 where when HBO released the episode summary for Oathbreaker, they accidentally let it go before it aired that the Night's King was going to be making an appearance. That's how we know.

And the description in the wiki comes from the book, from old Nan's story, that when he slept with the WW he lost his soul. To me, it implies that that's when he became a WW himself.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Whatever. We know a) That guy was the leader of the White Walkers, b) by far the most powerful, and c) the primeval of this story. Not Cersei or Stannis or the Boltons or Greyjoys. THAT GUY is The Bad Guy. That guy is a king, whether he be the original "Other" or the stupid weirdo that is only involved in the book. Otherwise he wouldn't have those bony head portusions that look exactly like a crown.

He brings the dead back to life, is a king and causes miracles like weather change. Even without reading the books I know that he's actually Jesus.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah that last scene where he necromanced all the dead folk should have been THE cliffhanger at the end of the last episode of this season. I don't know how they are going to top it with everything else. What else comes close? Even though Dany and Tyrion together gives me a boner that story is still years from coming to a head. Same with Arya's, cool she gets to start offing scumbags on the far side of the world. The Sansa/Ramsey/Stannis line is the only one I really care to see resolved after the story at the wall. Besides getting to see some fine ass Dornish tittay's Jamie's story has sputtered out at this point and as much as seeing Cersai get her comeupens I could care less about seeing her anymore... There is two more episodes right?

10. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one who thinks the Night King looks like Ivan Ooze?
    [​IMG]

11. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's actually played by Joe Chill from Batman Begins:
    [​IMG]

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

What will the famed "Episode 09" be? It will be pretty damn hard to top what just happened. In the past we have had in each ninth episode:

1) Ned's execution
    2) Blackwater war
    3) The Red Wedding
    4) "Drop the scythe, boys!!!"

...so I'm wondering if maybe they'll buck the trend and perhaps go with a decent season finale for a change.

Question: is the Many Faced God, Red God and Lord Of Light all the same God? I'm as confused on this show as I am in real life.

13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Red God and the Lord of Light are one and the same. The Temple of Black and White worships the many faced god. They believe that all gods are but faces of the same god. And since Valar Morghulis (all men must die), that god is Death.

"Drop the Scythe"? What was that? Joffrey's death?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hmm. I thought Jacken worshipped The Red God since he mentioned him in virtually every line in season 2.

"Drop the Scythe" is when the Night's Watch dropped what looked to be a forty-ton bladed anchor that whisked the wildlings off the cliff and was the Fat Man and Little Boy of the raid on the Wall. Season four, episode nine. It was pretty damn awesome second only to the Castle Black cook strutting like Travolta through the kitchen in the middle of a fight with a cleaver slung over his shoulder and promptly then kills the living fuck out of a raider.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit is going to be crazy, I can tell you that.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So R'hllor is the Lord of Light, the Red God, The Many Faced God, and The God of Death?

17. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is the opinion that R'hllor represents the shift to monotheism. So God in the conventional sense, when before there were many gods.

In a word, yes. R'hllor is all the gods, and is more than all the gods, at least as far as his followers are concerned.

The religion aspect is really something that I think gets lost in the show, but the idea that 'my gods are stronger than your gods' is really an interesting one when played out with gods potentially having actual power. Who wins? The Old Gods? R'hllor? Definitely not the Seven, their shit is clearly weak.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Agreed, we're actually starting find out that some actually do have power. Jagen H'ghar has abilities to change his appearance, the Night's King can raise the dead into a zombie army, and Melisandre can do whatever the hell she does. I dont like the idea that its just "magic." Thats convenient ex machina laziness. If its power imbued by these gods, it makes it much more interesting.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't be the only one who thinks she is BSing a lot of stuff to Stannis? When she mentioned the great battle in the snow this last episode it really felt like she was grasping at straws.

And the fact that they sent Thoros of Myr to convert the Mad King then Robert. It just seems like they are down for converting anyone with Kingsblood not that Melisandre actually believes he's the chosen one.

#159 Kubla Kahn, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

To help excite you, this weekend's episode 9 is titled The Dance Of Dragons. Nice.