Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Parker, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I mean we already knew he was a douche and needs to die. Like Janos Slynt.

I can't be the only one thinking when Dany closed her eyes she was about to Warg into her dragon.

2. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Up until now I've been rooting for Stannis. He's done some questionable shit (Gendry) but he's stayed by a code and was admirable for that at least. Now, he's basically been relegated to another run of the mill do anything to win douche. The way his hand was forced was kind of bullshit too. 20 guys slip in, destroy all (really?) of his food stores and kill hundreds of his soldiers. I'm thinking he will need more than a shadow baby this time too. It's not a situation like the one he had with Renly where eliminating one guy means everyone from a particular region is going to drift to his side. That might have been possible if he had a Stark heir with him, but since he doesn't... we'll see.
    Bit of an anti-climatic finish for Jaime in Dorne. I wonder if that actually sets up Jaime to go back to what us book readers had been expecting.
    He heads back to king's landing, sees Cersei again and leaves on not so good terms. Then he heads north to mop up what's left of the resistance and eventually finds himself in the same place, embittered towards Cersei. Then again, isn't Baelish supposed to be doing this now? And instead of just mopping up the throne has turned against the Boltons as well.
    I thought too we might see Aegon next season. Doran affirms his desire towards peace, and convinces the Lannisters of his loyalty to the throne, freeing himself of suspicion and setting him up perfectly to move the pieces in place for putting a Targaryen back on the throne once king's landing is vulnerable.

Best part of the episode was seeing Dany's dragon wreck the sons of harpy in the arena. It actually makes sense for her to take her sweet time in going back to Westeros. Build up resources, get a solid army, and don't rush off until the dragons reach maturity when they'll be practically invincible. The episode showed the're already pretty strong, but a few guys chucking a spear could do some damage. They're probably not ready to lay waste to entire armies yet. The only reason Dany has to get back to Westeros sooner is if she hears about the white walkers.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Stab, stabbity stab-stab.

THAT I did not see coming. Holeeee shitballs. Leave it to this show to destroy entire central narratives like it ain't no thang.

Tyrion is back in the saddle with Varys, Dani is accosted by a new Kahlisar, Stannis is toast and that last shot, well, damn.

Episodes 8, 9, and 10 just dropped the fucking hammer this year. Awesome stuff.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let me just say this first before anything. I highly doubt Jon Snow is going to stay dead. Melisandre is going to do the same thing to him that Thoros of Myr did for Beric Dondarrion. That isn't a book spoiler, I'm speculating. In the books Jon gets stabbed and the last part of his chapter is some cut to black shit. Anything is possible.

5. Aristotle

Aristotle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

He gon' get in the wolf, Melisandre gunna do the damn thing, and then he'll transfer back to his ole Jon Snow self. And he will be the man that rains hellfire down on the white walkers.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, sorry but no way he stays dead, if the Red Woman wasn't at Castle Black I'd tend to think he would stay dead but she is, not much of a dramatic ending.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought the episode sucked balls. The dialog was beyond terrible in places, Jamie talking to his daughter, Dani talking to her dragon. Everybody left with a cliffhanger? Stannis' whole story ends with a terrible whimper. I mean EEHHHHHHH

8. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to find the writers responsible for the bad pussy line and beat them with to death with my minor in creative writing as I scream, "EVEN I CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS YOU COCKSUCKERS!"

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know right, I cringed hard, that is not Showtime bad that is fucking Skinemax shit.

Maybe Im just left with less to look forward to at the end of this season. You keep killing off big characters, even though Jon Snow wasn't a personal favorite of mine, and replacing them with middling story lines, you get a once great story that seems to be heading for the finish line running on fumes. I mean the biggest part was the white walker battle but Jon Snow, the only person of action on the subject is gone. It feels like we could have a repeat of the second seasons finale with Tarly surrounded and not really hear about them again for two seasons. Stannis' whole point of going to the north was to face the white walker army but he petered out.

I have no idea where they'll take Sansa's storyline is she going to go missing in Westeros like the rest of her living siblings? Brienne just missed her to get her revenge on Stannis, who didn't see another near miss coming here?

King's Landing I guess is supposed to be heading with a fight with Dorne now. Besides that you have a useless unlikable Cersai half assedly trying to pull any strings. It'll be somewhat satisfying if she ends up crushing the Faith Militant, somehow that'll backfire on her. What the fuck happened to the Tyrell's by the way?

I guess Dany has the most to look forward to but seeing Jorah and daario doesn't seem like a enjoyable match up for a rescue mission. It is also weird seeing Grey Worm and Missandei help take the reigns of Mareen? Tyrion and Vary's FTW.

Again a big MMMMMEEEEHHHHHH for the season finale.

10. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't think Stannis is dead because A) they didn't show it, and B) his line to Brienne should've woken her up to doing her actual duty and saving Sansa. I think they should've killed Stannis because what the hell else is there for him to do, but I don't think they did.

The finale sucked.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't think the episode was bad so much as it was inferior to the great two episodes preceding it.

Here's the problem though. They crammed two huge books into one season, in a show where a season is only ten episodes. Granted the chief complaint of those books is that they moved too slow, but this was still over doing it (especially considering they spread all of book 3 over two seasons). We had four very significant moments in that last episode, and they didn't give any of them the proper time to develop. We had Myrcella get murdered, which will likely start another war. Jon Snow got stabbed for being a traitor. Cersei was forced to do her walk of shame, something that was done much better in the books. Then finally we had Stannis' downfall, at least as a military commander, and possible death. That's a lot to cram in one episode by itself, and to have to drag along the Daenerys, Tyrion, Arya, Sam, Brienne, and Sansa/Theon story lines as well... yeesh. It felt like they were just hurling everything at the viewers because 'this shit needs to get done now!'

Take what happened to Jon Snow. That plays out quite a bit differently in the books, and shortly before he gets a flurry of daggers he makes a ridiculous proclamation that goes against everything the night's watch is about. This is after he's been pissing everyone off for several chapters while as a reader you keep thinking to yourself, Is he really going to get away with this shit? It's the price he pays for being far too idealistic and eventually choosing his own personal loyalties/feelings over the watch. In the show? He saves a bunch of wildlings from being added to the white walker army, and several of the night's watch brothers were there to witness that battle, but he gets the same end result. So yeah, you might say you never saw that coming, but then again in the context it played out it didn't make all that much sense either.

I'll cut the griping there because sloppy finish aside, it was a great season overall. Finales haven't really been the show's strong point. The wrap up with Tyrion and Tywin last season immediately comes to mind as another example where the script writers totally dropped the ball.

12. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That's sadly been the problem with lots of the plots for the past couple seasons. They cut things because they have to, which then necessitates changes, but the writers changes don't make sense. And the writing has also just gotten very sloppy. Like Jon and the Wildlings being on the wrong side of the wall just to attempt to create some tension.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I've had the same issue with a few of the changes. It's what pissed me off about Tyrion and Shae. 'Let's totally change their relationship and Shae's character, and have it play out exactly the same way.' What happened with Jon is the same basic problem. If you want to change these plot lines that's great and all, but you can't just force them into the same conclusions afterwards.

What concerns me is they might do the same thing with Jaime and Cersei, which would be fucking terrible at this point. If they just randomly insert some big rift in their relationship at the beginning of next season it'll be a disaster.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That reminds me of the photo recaps Rachel Ack used to do for Lost

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So this season cleaned house at the emmys. I have no idea why possibly the worst episode of the season was the focus of half those awards, but so be it.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which episode was that by the way?

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The last episode of the season. I thought it kind of sucked. Sloppy writing with a bunch of senseless gotcha moments. I guess other people disagreed though. Took home 2 emmys and got nominated for a third.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If anything episode eight "Hardhome" should have been the clincher, it's probably the best episode of the entire series so far.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded