Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Funny Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, May 30, 2012.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Jim Unger, the guy who wrote the Herman comics, has died.

[​IMG]

Focus: Who/what are your favourite comics? Better yet, link some of your best/funniest images.

Personally, I've always been a Far Side girl. Such a weird sense of humour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes are my favorites. The PreHistory of the Far Side stays on the coffee table at home.

This particular Calvin and Hobbes strip is taped to my computer at work. I can relate to it.

[​IMG]

3. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to admit that I have never - not even once - heard of this 'Herman' comic. I'm not sure why that is.

Focus: As far as I'm concerned, Calvin & Hobbes is the king of comics, with The Far Side coming in a close second. Honorable mentions go to Close To Home, Dilbert, and Foxtrot.

This is my all-time favorite Dilbert strip, and I've had it taped to my wall ever since it was first printed in October 2008. Dogbert stole the show in every strip he appeared in:

[​IMG]

4. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Always and forever, without exception, Peanuts is my favourite.
    [​IMG]

5. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I almost don't want to respond because I'm not going to be the first or second to say The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. Anyway, here are my favorites from both:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im off to work at the moment but last time I tried to rain on Calvin and Hobbes parade it was in a thread dedicated to the comic and Nettdata shut me down. Farside is far and away the absolute best comic strip ever done. Calvin and Hobbes just never felt anything but meh to me and absolutely no amount of childhood nostalgia has ever been enough to make me even crack a smile at that comic. I have all of the Farside collections and want to get that huge collection of everything he ever did. Gary Larson, a wild talent.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All of this can be yours for the modest price of $94.50: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Far-Side-1980-1994/dp/0740721135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Far- ... 0740721135</a>

There's a similar one for all of you C&H fans: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Calvin-Hobbes-v/dp/0740748475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Calv ... 0740748475</a>

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I still have all the original print Calvin & Hobbes books, I still read them because it's the best comic the has ever been, and ever will be written.

Far Side is number two. Gary Larson is some sort of ingenious mad scientist or something, his mad world of irony, stupid fat people and talking animals is an all-out assault on the senses.

Herman, number three. Herman is bone-dry humour and hippie Jim Unger obviously has some real issues with women, but none the less it's hysterical at times.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is an good list of three, although I would put Far Side first.

I don't see it much anymore, and it's not consistently funny like FS and C&H, but The Fusco Brothers used to crack me up.

[​IMG]

10. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I partially agree; Calvin and Hobbes is a nice comic, but it has been mythologized and deified to an absolutely ridiculous extent by now. It's no Farside, which remains the most consistently funny print comic I have ever read, from child to adulthood. (exceptionally difficult to accomplish)

When it comes to Internet comics, the only one I have ever found really funny was Sexy Losers;

[​IMG]

11. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gorbachev sings tractor! Turnip! Buttocks!

If you recognize that, then kudos. It comes from Bloom County which was a great strip back in the '80s and then really fell off after a while.

I can't find any strips online probably because I haven't looked very hard, but my favorite bit comes when the character Steve Dallas is testifying in front of Congess (a very thinly veiled Tipper Gore) about the heavy metal band he managed and they have this exchange:

Congresswoman: Well, Mr. Dallas... we've heard your smut masquerading as songs... and we've heard how teen prostitution, pregnancy, drug use, cults, runaways, suicide and poor hygiene are sweeping this nation. We thought you might like to share with the committee any particular causes you might see for those latter problems...

Steve Dallas: I dunno. Maybe the proliferation of narrow, suffocating zealotry masquerading as parenting in this country.

As true now as it was in Reagan's America.

12. monkey0726

monkey0726
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm a huge fan of xkcd (<a class="postlink" href="http://xkcd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://xkcd.com/</a>).

[​IMG]

13. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Obviously Far Side and C&H are favourites. Really enjoy the internet comics Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal and PBF Comics. Some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

There's a whole comics thread, so some of these are definitely repeats, but what the hell:

I liked the Boondocks strip way more than the show, which always gave me a few different bad vibes.

I'll eighth Calvin and Hobbes.

When it comes to absurdist, almost nihilist humor, though, nobody does it better than Perry Bible Fellowship:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]`

15. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Continued on a second post! I think maybe my favorite strip of all time, though, is A Softer World. It blends wry humor with bittersweet observation brilliantly, and is the only comic I've ever sent a fan letter to. My feelings for Joey Comeau can only be described as "girlcrush."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alt-text: These marshmallow ghosties don't have time for your ennui.

[​IMG]

16. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I had the C&H boxed set almost immediately after it came out; it doesn't get touched though, although of my prior copies still get read. Additionally, I wish I had been around in the heyday Bloom County. I didn't understand half of those jokes at the time (and some of them I still don't) because they were so reliant on current events - but they were still hilarious.

My favorite webcomic is Questionable Content, mainly because of how accurately this update described my last relationship:
    [​IMG]

Honorable Mention: Oglaf

17. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Questionable content and oglaf, PBF, Calvin and Hobbes, and The Complete Far side which I had to buy for my dad for christmas and then myself as well. Gary Larson was a brilliantly twisted person..

These have all been enjoyable ready for me over the years. I've also enjoyed Something positive though it seems to be lacking lately to me.

http://oglaf.com/intermission/1/

18. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Cyanide and Happiness is great, though they seem to be largely the same joke, over and over (kinda the same as Saturday Morning and Dilbert):

[​IMG]
    I also like Pearls Before Swine:

[​IMG]
    And here's the Pearls Before Swine guy giving an interview about how he quit law to draw a stick figure rat and pig:

Well, since you asked:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#18 BL1Y, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While it's a little different than the focus, I'm a huge fan and regular reader of the Comics Curmudgeon. The idea is simple; a guy posts shitty legacy comics that have been around for way too long like Mary Worth, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace, Marmaduke, etc. and makes fun of them.

I dare anyone to read his awesome interpretation of Marmaduke comics and not laugh.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

anti-focus: Is there a worse comic than Sylvia?

[​IMG]