Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fumbling the Balls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pinkcup, Oct 12, 2010.

1. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here are a few things:

1) Power corrupts, and there can be no doubt that Favre was/is a powerful guy. More importantly, at that point in his career, having just moved to the Jets and being begged to return to play after his whole 'retirement' bullshit with the Packers, Favre had to feel damn near invincible, with the media sucking his proverbial cock at every single turn. That being said, I have little doubt that Favre saw Sterger, and thought 'Yeah, I'm Bret fucking Favre, I can bang that chick!' Never mind that he had a wife (who was, no doubt, NOT with him in New York, but back home in Mississippi or wherever the fuck his normal home is), he didn't care. He is Bret fucking Favre!

2) I first heard about the story on the radio in Chicago a few months ago. There were no voicemails or pictures, so people were skeptical. I literally didn't see or hear about it anywhere else, from ESPN to Yahoo sports to anywhere else. No one talked about it when the accusations were first made. The story only came to light when the voicemails and picture came out.

3) If you got voicemails from a celebrity or sports figure propositioning you, would YOU delete them? I know I wouldn't. People save celeb signatures and other silly meaningless shit, why wouldn't they save something like that?

Bottom line? I think Favre did it, and I think he's had mistresses in the past. He is a professional NFL QB, for fuck sake. The only reason this is a story is because Favre felt invincible and made mistakes (i.e. the voice mails and the picture, not to mention propositioning a fame whore). People who defend Favre don't want to look at the obvious: he is a professional football player, a millionaire on top. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. That down home boy has banged his share of tail on the side during his career, now, he just got caught.

Now, will it horribly affect his legacy? I don't know, possibly. I think that, in combination with all the dramatic will he/won't he retire bullshit he's gone through, and his absolutely god-awful year this year, will affect him.

Want a comparison? 1 name springs to mind: Michael Jordan. During his career, he was looked on as a role model and virtually a god. He set tons of records, and he retired and returned. He was a fucking legend. If Favre has a basketball equivalent, it is Jordan. After his career was over, it came out that not only was he a crazy gambler, but he had several mistresses on the side. Yes, he did it, because he could. If you'd have asked Michael Jordan fans if they thought he'd cheat on his wife at the height of his career, do you think anyone would believe it? No, and Jordan would've fought the accusations in much the same way Favre is; deny without denying, don't talk about it. I think Favre is in that same boat. Did his legacy take a hit? Sure, but no more than his attempt to return to play after being retired for a few years (the 2nd time, not the first time).