Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fucking finally ...goodbye Oprah

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manbehindthecurtain, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Rabbit B.

Rabbit B.
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I agree with this. I know very little about her, but the fact that she encourages reading will always trump any "stupid" parts of shows. I mean, she got a fucking interview with Cormac McCarthy. She could take a dump on camera after that for all I care.

Just as a note, I love the mixed commentary on how shallow and boring her show is along with comments on how she ugly. Way to step it up you idiots.

2. Bjornturoc

Bjornturoc
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't think I want to be a member of this board anymore. I mean, jesus, her life started out with her being constantly molested by family members in some god-awful trailer park, and now here she is, proving the American dream is possible from even the shittiest starting point. Do you people really need to say fuck, shit, cunt or bitch every other sentence you write about her? She's a charitable person, and I've yet to see her actually abuse her star-power, rather than, GOD FORBID, tell people they ought to buy someones book. I don't see how that's a crime.

I don't watch or like anything Oprah does, but I do admire what she's accomplished. Especially that monkey-attack victim thing. Shit that extreme is normally only found on the internet, she put it right on T.V. in front of the entire country. Bravo, Oprah.

3. Rabbit B.

Rabbit B.
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I think this thread started as a "You know who is cool to hate?" without any real substance. Oprah has more talent in her pinky than anyone here.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My beef with Oprah is that I missed out on TV time when I was younger because my mother is an Oprah addict.

Secondly she is just as exploitative as the shocky-dreck slinging talk show hosts but tries to be all holier than thou. I'm happy she builds wells for villages in Africa, promotes reading (A Million Little Pieces... hahaha), and found success in spite of her upbringing but I don't have to like her. She's a brainwasher that controls the minds of millions of suburban housewives and that ilk. Plus she brought us Dr. Phil.

5. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She brought out the monkey victim for the same reasons Maury Povich brings out progeria children. The shock value. Not to "help & heal".

6. Bjornturoc

Bjornturoc
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Let me break this post down, because I think by dissecting the stupid now we'll all be better off.

This makes her the great Satan? Because your Mom was glued to T.V.? This is like fat people suing McDonald's.

She is holier than thou. Remember why? Let's use your words:

So she does all this, and you go after the Million Little Pieces thing? As I recall, that guy scammed EVERYONE. Does Oprah look like a private fucking eye to you? She's got a lot of shit going on in her life, honestly, I doubt she reads any book on her show completely. She probably scans through it and gets the basic idea. But it's still, at least, promoting reading.

And then you got to the only logical part of your post.

No shit. You don't have the right to accuse her of something baseless and stupid, something like:
    She isn't forcing her ideology onto people like Hitler or Pot Pol. See that wire behind your T.V.? That's the plug. Pull it out. Then find the plug on your computer, and pull that one out, too. You're finally free!

EDIT: And in response to this post:

When did I say it was to help and heal? I actually did say, and I quote "Shit that extreme is normally only found on the internet." Of course it was shock value. The fountain of youth couldn't fix that woman's face.

7. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The debate is fine so far because you're still hitting the focus. Lets keep it that way ok? Ok good.

8. Robbie Clark

Robbie Clark
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Isn't it enough that Oprah's opinions about a great many things are stupid and hate her for that reason? And hate the people that hang on her every word as if it were gospel?

I would never say she isn't talented or a genius in her field. Nor would I fault her for her giant Scrooge McDuck money vault.

Edit: Yes I know I said I don't watch the show. I'm content with my hatred being irrational in this case.

9. Rabbit B.

Rabbit B.
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Even if she does shocking things for ratings, she is still a person of immense talent and intelligence who brings people together not for malicious intention, but to try to be good and learn. I think the episodes where she tries to point out the wrongs in the society, the episodes where she tries to help people, the episodes where she gets people to read (The Road, The Pillars of the Earth, Love in the Time of Cholera, As I Lay Dying....hahahha) far outshine whatever rating grabbing episodes she does.

Fucking Christ.

10. Tope

Tope
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just had to do it. No harm done.

Focus: Doesn't anybody else think that this announcement was made too early? 18 more months? I don't have anything against the lady, but come on now.

Then again, I also wonder what she has planned after wards. Cameo's on "The Office" and "30 Rock?" Perhaps a reality show on MTV where she runs around playing with all her dogs? That ought to be nice.

11. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think we'll be just fine.

Attached Files:

12. Denver

Denver
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

While I agree that it is certainly respectable how much she has accomplished (especially having started with so little), I still think there are legitimate reasons to dislike her. Specifically, I seem to recall hearing about how she had someone on who advocates parents not giving their children vaccines, and people believe these opinions have a good deal of credibility because that person was on Oprah. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there are other times that my mother has repeated something she saw on Oprah and all I could do was roll my eyes.

It's just ridiculous how much control she has over what certain groups of people will think, and to me that is almost inherently dangerous. Sure that amount of sway can be good because like others have said, she is able to get people to read and does a lot of charitable giving, but it also means that when she says something more contentious that people will believe it just because "Oprah said it."

13. OCBtip

OCBtip
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

They way I see it is that she's actually a leader of a cult. And she's not using it for some kind of super villain plan to take over the world, so that's good I guess.
    And she recommended Cormac McCarthy.
    Could be a lot worse.

14. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Leader speaks the truth. All hail The Leader.

15. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Fixed that for ya there buddy..

Focus: Seriously. I couldn't give less of a shit. Never watched her show. Dr. Phil either. I have seen a few episodes of Montel and an ex did get me into him for a little while when I was home from night shift. Other than that all I have to say is "Oprah Who?".

16. daz3dnconfuz3d09

daz3dnconfuz3d09
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

17. Will-Furry

Will-Furry
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'd like to motorboat Oprah

18. BrotherNumberOne

BrotherNumberOne
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Did you think the big build-up to the final episode of Seinfeld or Cheers was bad? This will be that x1000. It'll be more irritating than those fucking political ads! You ain't seen nothin' yet.

19. Moosed

Moosed
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Yeah man fuck Pot Pol.

I was going to try and explain why this is funny but..... Pot Pol? Really? That isn't even a typo it is just wrong.

I just hope Stalin Joseph isn't next, that guy already has a bad rep you could destroy his already tarnished name with one of your cutting edge thoroughly researched posts.

20. SaintBastard

SaintBastard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Now how the fuck am I going to get a free car?