Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fuck the Karate Kid (and anything else with a montage)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ferris, Jun 21, 2010.

1. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does it matter if it's my first attempt or second?

Does everyone get it right on the first time? Or second, or third?

The lesson is not to listen to spectators.

2. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You failed to see the humorous nature of my post. You should realize that. (Here's another opportunity!)

3. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My Jamaican boss made a very good point to me. All High School and College is a Bullshit Test. That's not to say that the tests are bullshit, but a test of your Bullshit giving and taking abilities. Your GPA at the end isn't a measure of how much you know (and trust me, you know very little), it's a measure of how much you can deal with the Bullshit.

Personally, I'm a very hard worker with something that make sense and is useful. But I could never put up with the bullshit. Though, don't take me as boasting or being proud because of it. I've gotten burned because of this more times than I care to count.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, I don't think you quite got the intent of my post. I can understand how you took it that way. I walked out of a top tier law firm eight years ago to a bunch of shaking heads (including my parents'). Today we've got 30 offices and expanding into new areas constantly.

In essence, what I meant was "if you get something wrong, realise that it is wrong and change the way you do things". Otherwise you're doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over, thinking that what you've done is right.

Of course you shouldn't necessarily listen to people who don't know shit. Unless it's an obvious or simple thing, how do they know if you're right or wrong? But when someone with more knowledge or experience tells me I'm wrong, I damn sure go back and examine what I've done.

5. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree , but at which point does perserverence become pig headed stubborn delusion.

We also tend to only remember the ones that did eventually make it , not all the poor suckers that tried and tried and either got nowhere or went backwards or lost it all.

6. eric

eric
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

14 years on, I'd have to say that getting my degree in mechanical engineering was one of the hardest things I've done. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but in comparison to the rest of my university class I was probably in the bottom half. Unlike some of my friends who had the cranial horsepower to quickly grasp complex math and rip through the weekly thermodynamics assignment, I had to take the brute force approach. I simply threw all my waking hours at it. In the end, I graduated Summa Cum Laude and when my father in law gave me my iron ring I knew I had truly earned it.

Ironically, one of the guys I considered to be just shy of brilliant became a technical writer.